Here's one for the techies

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My GT has had what I can best describe as a belt 'whistle' on cold start, be it water pump, alternator or whatever. There's more than one. As it warms up, the 'whistle' goes away. The car is in for it's first service and I asked them to keep it overnight so they could start it cold in the morning when they will hear what I hear. Here's the thing, they have isolated each belt and the noise is still there. So it's not a belt at all.
Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be as the service guys are stumped.
Sponsored

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My GT has had what I can best describe as a belt 'whistle' on cold start, be it water pump, alternator or whatever. There's more than one. As it warms up, the 'whistle' goes away. The car is in for it's first service and I asked them to keep it overnight so they start it cold in the morning when they will hear what I hear. Here's the thing, they have isolated each belt and the noise is still there. So it's not a belt at all.
Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be as the service guys are stumped.
I don't know what it is, but I will be watching this thread because my '19 GT does the same thing. It sounds like a loose pulley.

I've had the guys at my shop go over it top to bottom...nothing out of the ordinary with the belts or pulleys. Since it's under warranty, that's as far as I'm letting them go with it. But I know if I take it to Ford, I'll just get the "It's characteristic of the engine" BS that I always get. They told me the same thing on my F-150. 4 motors and a lawsuit later......finally bought it back.

If I have major issues with this Mustang it will be my last Ford. It's kinda their last shot, so to speak.

At any rate, sorry for the rambling but please update on what you find if anything. Mine also goes away within about two minutes of warming up. I notice if I start it while it is hot it does not make the sound at all.

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your issue sounds exactly the same. None of the guys at the service centre have heard this before on a Mustang, so it's a new thing to them. I'll keep you posted.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Your issue sounds exactly the same. None of the guys at the service centre have heard this before on a Mustang, so it's a new thing to them. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks. If I finally break down and decide to take it to Ford, I'll let you know if I have any better luck also.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Maybe a leak in the PCV system?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Some bearing greases squeal when below the temp where they get 'hard' and pull back from the shaft. The belt might be 'dirty'. As an experiment use a wrench and lean on the tensioner (add pressure) and have someone start the engine and see if it does it. the next thing to check is to turn A/C off and start the engine. The compressor clutch can also make noise.

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt500 vert tungsten grey stripe delete black/red int.,2019 GT 400a PP1 A10 spoiler delete RR coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Applies to all 2018-2019 5.0 S550’s.

Issue:
Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine built on or before 30-Apr- 2019 may exhibit a chirping type noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle. This noise may sound similar to a front engine accessory drive (FEAD) chirp noise. This may be due to the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the primary timing chain tensioners.

See attached pdf for complete TSB content.
..... maybe it?

Sponsored

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Mine does the same. Same side I get the 2k rattle from (Passenger).

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks for your collective input folks. I've been advised that they want to run some more checks but have confirmed the 'noise' is from the off-side cylinder head area (that's drivers side down here). If it's internal they will just put in a new engine as they don't strip down and repair things these days (so I'm told). I'm staggered; in my day we repaired stuff, we didn't just replace whole engines without a closer look. How the world has changed eh!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
in my day we repaired stuff, we didn't just replace whole engines without a closer look.
in your day we sent a decent cross section of the male population to tech school where students got to rip apart and reassemble engines. You can't even find a basic welding class anymore. The technicians these days probably have no idea how to build an engine (or they did it once in school) and therefore the manufacturers are more interested in a "controlled item" aka fresh factory engine being installed (the lack of QC notwithstanding) for the purposes of repair resolution than some unknown possible numbskull taking a swipe at the power unit.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
..... maybe it?
Thanks! Do you have that TSB number by chance? My engine is not currently doing this (2019 w/8800 miles, built pre the TSB date) but if it starts I will refer to this TSB if it starts and I take in. :thumbsup:
Sponsored