1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I get a little squeal like that in my EB when I start it and back out of the garage. It seems to go away by the time I'm on the road, or maybe it just gets drowned out by engine noise. :shrug:
It's interesting that you have heard it on the four cylinder. There must be some common componentry somewhere
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have the same squeal from the thread you linked but only when cold and it goes away when the car is warmed up. I haven't taken it in because of that (TSB specifically mentions hot or warm). I guess maybe warm? I don't know, but I already had the engine replaced and don't want to deal with that again... FWIW, another member had the same squeal and also replaced the tensioners. They claimed it solved the sound but upon inspection there was no weight difference (implying the tensioner is being shreded) or noticeable damage, but they also only had it when cold. I'm gonna stick around, though, and see what the outcome is.

in your day we sent a decent cross section of the male population to tech school where students got to rip apart and reassemble engines. You can't even find a basic welding class anymore.
That reminds me of when I first started getting into cars. My buddy paid for classes while I just started hacking at things and using the internet. Several years later I offered to help him rebuild his dad's Javelin and the fool knew fuck all. It actually amazed me how useless he was if he couldn't find an answer in a shop manual. One can use this as an example to say there's no substitute for experience, but I'd think a two years of college would provide some sort of problem solving. Then again, it was community college...

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
A seeming off the wall question, 1st Pony, have you tried switching on and off the climate control (with AC on) to see if the noise changes? My car makes what sure as h311 sounds like belt chirp on cold start, but it nearly disappears when the AC compressor kicks on. I can believe the chain tensioner issue, but I'm still going to check all the idlers and compressor clutch bearing for good measure before pulling the timing cover (ugh!!!!!)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
A seeming off the wall question, 1st Pony, have you tried switching on and off the climate control (with AC on) to see if the noise changes? My car makes what sure as h311 sounds like belt chirp on cold start, but it nearly disappears when the AC compressor kicks on. I can believe the chain tensioner issue, but I'm still going to check all the idlers and compressor clutch bearing for good measure before pulling the timing cover (ugh!!!!!)
That actually sounds like it's legitimately your belt or A/C pulley. The A/C isn't routed with the rest of the loop. It's a stretchy belt that runs from the balancer to the A/C pulley.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm not sure what they've done, but I was assured that each belt had been isolated so I assume that includes the one that drives the A/C. They believe the noise is from the drivers side cylinder head area (don't forget, we're right-hand drive). There are a couple of tests they want to do before they make a decision but they have said they won't pull the engine down. They will just put a new one in under warranty.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Dfeeds, you may be right. My AC belt, however, also drives a VMP blower and there are 3 idlers in the circuit along with the compressor. It may well be any of those.

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
5.0L - Chirping Noise From Engine Compartment At Warm Or Hot Idle - Built On Or Before 30-Apr-2019
Model:
TSB 19-2140
08 May 2019
And the winner is.....

The service guys are confident this is the problem, but they've been instructed by Ford NZ to perform repairs as per the TSB, not replace the engine. The parts have to come from the USA which may take a couple of weeks. I'll will post about the outcome when the repairs have been done.

Thanks for your all input,
Pete

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Timing chain tensioners! Good thing Ford is going to assume the cost. That'd be USD 1300 just for the labor cost over here.

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Timing chain tensioners! Good thing Ford is going to assume the cost. That'd be USD 1300 just for the labor cost over here.
I'm less than 1 year into a 5 year warranty, so I have no worries. The TSB says 8.5 hours but my guy here reckons it could be anything up to double that. Plus there's a long list of parts as well, so it's a fairly costly repair.

Sponsored

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt500 vert tungsten grey stripe delete black/red int.,2019 GT 400a PP1 A10 spoiler delete RR coupe
Vehicle Showcase
And the winner is.....

The service guys are confident this is the problem, but they've been instructed by Ford NZ to perform repairs as per the TSB, not replace the engine. The parts have to come from the USA which may take a couple of weeks. I'll will post about the outcome when the repairs have been done.

Thanks for your all input,
Pete
Glad to hear they have figured it out. Hopefully they get it fixed in a timely manner and take good care of your car while it’s there. Definitely keep us all posted,...I’ll be bringing my car in for this in the spring as well.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I just realized the TSB refers to a warm or hot condition but my car seems to chirp only when cold. But its stored right now so I'll listen closer when it goes back on the road. What I've heard thus far doesn't concern me & I don't know if I'd want to tear into it based on what I've heard thus far.

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just realized the TSB refers to a warm or hot condition but my car seems to chirp only when cold. But its stored right now so I'll listen closer when it goes back on the road. What I've heard thus far doesn't concern me & I don't know if I'd want to tear into it based on what I've heard thus far.
I read that too, but that is their diagnosis in my case, and it's a warranty matter. Yours may never get any worse than a noise on cold start (maybe even mine), but it's a mechanical fault regardless. That's what warranties are for.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I read that too, but that is their diagnosis in my case, and it's a warranty matter. Yours may never get any worse than a noise on cold start (maybe even mine), but it's a mechanical fault regardless. That's what warranties are for.
If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have considered the noise abnormal knowing engines make sounds sometimes especially when cold. But as you say its covered and they think that is the issue & it may well be. Hopefully it gets you sorted.

I'm interested to hear back from you on this after the work is done to see if the issue is resolved. If you notice it no longer is present i may ask my dealer about it then. Hopefully you get the results you are looking for. :)

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have considered the noise abnormal knowing engines make sounds sometimes especially when cold. But as you say its covered and they think that is the issue & it may well be. Hopefully it gets you sorted.

I'm interested to hear back from you on this after the work is done to see if the issue is resolved. If you notice it no longer is present i may ask my dealer about it then. Hopefully you get the results you are looking for. :)
I would not be surprised if many owners never even hear that noise, or like you, think nothing of it. But I'm an old-school mechanic (although I left the trade nearly 40 years ago) and my ears are tuned in to car noises. And I'd have put money on that noise being caused by a belt or pulley issue, not a primary chain tensioner.

Look at it this way; imagine if you do nothing to fix it and it fails, the chain seizes or breaks and you wreck the engine - just out of warranty!!!
Sponsored