gen 2 coyote engine question

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I was looking at LMR at the differences between the coyote gen 2 and 3. the bore and compression seem to be the only difference besides the intake manifold. I was wondering. If you bored the gen 2 out the .8mm difference and bumped the compression up to 12:1 is that really the only difference between the two motors? Besides the intake manifold? I just seen where an 18 made 1003 WHP on 93 pump gas. How different is the 2nd gen than the 3rd?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)

5.0S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
The gen 3 heads are also higher flowing and have slightly larger valves and the cams have more lift.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was looking at LMR at the differences between the coyote gen 2 and 3. the bore and compression seem to be the only difference besides the intake manifold. I was wondering. If you bored the gen 2 out the .8mm difference and bumped the compression up to 12:1 is that really the only difference between the two motors? Besides the intake manifold? I just seen where an 18 made 1003 WHP on 93 pump gas. How different is the 2nd gen than the 3rd?
That car must have had about a half tank of boostane mixed in lol

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Gen 3 also has direct injection...
Gen 3 has a open deck block gen 2 is semi closed hence the reason why Gen 2 blocks can take a fuck load of boost if you have good fuel.
Sleeves are completely different,
Oil pan is plastic on gen 3 metal on gen 2

You can make 1000 whp on pump gas on a gen 2... Youll bend the fuck out of a rod but it can be done.

All those "dyno records" mean nothing. Half the time its a lie, the other half they dont mention the car never gets driven except unto the rollers of a dyno...

Its like GT350R owners who trailer their bone stock Rs to the race track...

There is nothing admirable about "breaking a record on pump gas" its just an irresponsible way to build a motor... And it gives people a false sense of what's possible which makes them blow up their shit...

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The Gen 3 has 12mm head studs and 4 knock sensors. The 4 knock sensors allow the ECU to perform individual cylinder retard. Also the Gen 3 has better harmonic damper and better oil pan baffling.

Cheers,

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Also before u trade in your gen 2 ask why ford went back to an aluminum oil pan on the GT500, crossplane (same as the coyote) and reused alot of the Gen 2 parts including the headlight housings...

Not saying anything to put down the gen 3. But ford knows these cars better than we ever will yet they went that way on the gt500. Theres a reason.

I wouldnt be surprised if the gt500 isn't a gen 2 Aluminator engine...

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Gen 3 also has direct injection...
Gen 3 has a open deck block gen 2 is semi closed hence the reason why Gen 2 blocks can take a fuck load of boost if you have good fuel.
Sleeves are completely different,
Oil pan is plastic on gen 3 metal on gen 2

You can make 1000 whp on pump gas on a gen 2... Youll bend the fuck out of a rod but it can be done.

All those "dyno records" mean nothing. Half the time its a lie, the other half they dont mention the car never gets driven except unto the rollers of a dyno...

Its like GT350R owners who trailer their bone stock Rs to the race track...

There is nothing admirable about "breaking a record on pump gas" its just an irresponsible way to build a motor... And it gives people a false sense of what's possible which makes them blow up their shit...
You are now my favorite forum member. You are like a car god. I lookup to you sir.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Interesting. Good to know I'm not gonna blow up my motor with a 2.3 charger as long as the fuel is there. Plastic oil pan? I think the right answer there is AYFKM??? Those cars are gonna suffer on Houston freeways with all that road junk whacking the underside.
Sponsored