Sponsored

Why doesn't an oil catch-can come stock on our Mustangs??

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If you are just using it on the track, and not really doing any part throttle stuff, then I'm not sure how helpful it would be since you are running almost no vacuum (WOT) to "pull" the vapors into the intake manifold.

I just bought one for mine. If my post earlier was misunderstood, I was explaining why the OEMs don't do it - I'm not saying they shouldn't do it though. Especially for forced induction cars, they practically squirt oil through the rings.
I think they are a good addition for boosted cars, as they are not running within the design tolerances of the original engine. I haven't seen any proof that they do much on stock cars, other than making owners feel better about a slightly cleaner intake manifold. I do think the companies making them have marketed the hell out of them.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It's a very touchy subject and some get hell bent on expressing there is no need for them. I'm boosted so I see a good bit out of mine. Yes your car is able to handle it within the combustion cycle...why should we let it have to?
I will never push a person one way or another. I just feel the need to correct misconceptions and myths around the product. There is likely a case for them if you are boosted. Blow-by on forced induction vehicles will be much higher than stock. However, taking in ppm levels of oil mist won't hurt the engine though, so the stock guys are probably wasting money adding the thing (unless they never use higher detergency fuel).

So the can will catch oil but does oil still get through and still cause build up? I know stopping whatever it catches could be better than nothing but is there any long term videos showing a car with a catch can compared to same model without one after say 50k miles being bore scoped or something to see if build up is less?
Another point that some miss with catch cans. They can't physically prevent all oil blow-by, so there will still be some buildup over time. Scoping the intake manifold wouldn't mean much. Oil residue on that will not harm the performance. You would need to scope the intake valves, and as noted above, higher detergent fuel cleans them off quite well.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
My take...
Boosted cars a good idea. Non boosted cars never a bad idea. Can your car live without it...sure. On my old 11 5.0 non-boosted one side never got a drop while the other side got a teaspoon a month. So it's pretty much if you want to do everything you can to help your car sure do it. Last I checked oil/water/gas/air was not the combustion combo of choice. Nor is coating everything in oil a great idea. They are cheap and can ONLY help. Do we walk around with a dust mask on...no...would it help....sure. Pretty much the same concept. This honestly shouldn't be beat to death as it is.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I never had one on my 2011 300C even though they were highly recommended by Hemi enthusiasts. I beat on that car way more than this mustang. I had 4 different custom tunes for it, the most fun one being a tune that turned off all the nannies. That one made the Hemi really come alive in such a heavy car. I sold it last year with 83K on it and it still ran great.

98134175-F78B-4C1A-B40F-17F6AAB95833.jpeg

6C47F15D-8B42-47D7-9FBC-85B30D22D7B1.jpeg

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
My take...
Boosted cars a good idea. Non boosted cars never a bad idea. Can your car live without it...sure. On my old 11 5.0 non-boosted one side never got a drop while the other side got a teaspoon a month. So it's pretty much if you want to do everything you can to help your car sure do it. Last I checked oil/water/gas/air was not the combustion combo of choice. Nor is coating everything in oil a great idea. They are cheap and can ONLY help. Do we walk around with a dust mask on...no...would it help....sure. Pretty much the same concept. This honestly shouldn't be beat to death as it is.
Actually, you can inject water in a fine mist, and it will will benefit the engine (lower combustion temps). Oil mist will not harm anything in normal levels, and with proper fuel detergency. You always risk getting a hard time from a dealer when going in for service, IF YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET CATCH CAN. If you want to spend the money on a stock car, feel free to buy one. I just wouldn't give anyone the impression that it will actually help anything (engine longevity or performance).

Sponsored

DerekDeeter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, MT82 300A, 2001 BMW 330Ci, 1993 F150, 1972 V8 Pinto
Also another question, is one better than another? Or will a generic, low cost one be fine?
Stay away from anything plastic. I liked the JLT one I had on my previous supercharged stang.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The thing is, even in the worst case scenario when the can is never emptied I dont think it would allow more blowby than stock... it would just be the same and the can would be topped off. So in other words, I dont know.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Is now the time to discuss running one catch can or two? There are 2 cans available for the GT350. I have the Power Pack 2, so I have the GT350 CAI, and I run dual cans on my GT. I know it's overkill, I know it's not giving me power, I know I probably wasted my money. But I've torn down too many engines over the years where the intake tract was a sludged up mess. Especially on older cars where EGR mixed with PCV vapors and makes a wonderful black cocktail. Caked and coated intake ports and intake valves will eventually hurt intake flow. My engine is clean so far, I'm just trying to keep it that way.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
A vented can or one that is filtered are the best solutions to prevent the intake sucking up any blow-by gases or fluids. They are not technically legal due to emissions. A catch can is vital on any high horsepower car with a power adder because of the additional pressure in the sump from boost, and they are also vital on any car that sees track time and high g forces because the sump is not well baffled or a dry sump style system, so you will always get blow-by. On a daily driver it can be left alone.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

Sponsored

MustangCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
If you are running e85 (non boosted), is a catch can necessary?

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
If you are running e85 (non boosted), is a catch can necessary?
Yes, the fuel makes no difference. A catch can catches oil vapours and oil gunk that makes its way out of the sump and would otherwise end up in your intake tract.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Emptied my Mishimoto catch can on my Accord a few weeks ago. Had a few tablespoons of oil in it. My UPR one catches quite a bit on my Mustang too. I think you want to find a baffled catch can if you can. Many of them work well.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Because manufacturers don't care if you have dirty valves or not...they'd rather you destroy your stuff quickly so they can sell you new stuff.
Sponsored