Sponsored

Why doesn't an oil catch-can come stock on our Mustangs??

Jaybob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium performance package
If oil catch-cans are so beneficial to our Mustangs, then why didn't the Ford engineers have them come stock on our cars to begin with? I'm talking about the 2015-2019 5.0. The costs of the parts are relatively cheap.
Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
If oil catch-cans are so beneficial to our Mustangs, then why didn't the Ford engineers have them come stock on our cars to begin with? I'm talking about the 2015-2019 5.0. The costs of the parts are relatively cheap.
Because most people never open the hoods of their mustangs. We represent a small portion of buyers. Catch cans have to be emptied.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Because they would be an extra service item that 99% of customers don't want to hassle with draining them.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The benefit on stock or even mildly modded cars is debatable. That's the biggest reason they aren't standard. Also, as others have said, it would be a hassle for the typical owner. The 2 main issues the catch can addresses are already resolved in the stock car. Excess blow-by can reduce octane number under hard operation, but the engine is tuned to allow a range of octane fuels. Most aggressive drivers will use higher octane, and will have a factor of safety if the number goes down a bit. The other issue, intake valve and injector deposits, tends to be partially resolved by the dual fuel system (port injection helps clean valves). The LAC or higher additive content in fuels aids with the rest of keep-clean/cleanup.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Catch cans, for the most part, are not legal. At least in California. However, systems that do a better job of filtering out the bad stuff (And returning to the crankcase) are in some cars. BMW has a cyclonic system similar to a dyson vacuum. Porsche does as well. There is a company called Provent that makes a few really nice ones, with the intent of taking the separated liquid, and dumping it back into the sump. So the true vapors are still burned, and everything else is returned to the oil.

But since the Mustang has port injection (Even the gen 3 engines) the main concern-intake valve deposits- are completely mitigated. As far as the performance aspect, it's cheaper to retard the spark a little bit and lose some low-end torque but still keep the advertised HP and Torque peaks. The average buyer isn't going to notice/miss 10 ft/lbs of part-throttle torque.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I don't know about the 18'-19s but my 16' JLT catches quite a bit of oil. I would say a solid tablespoon a half every two weeks. I am completely stock as well. I couldn't imagine all that oil going into my throttle body.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's a very touchy subject and some get hell bent on expressing there is no need for them. I'm boosted so I see a good bit out of mine. Yes your car is able to handle it within the combustion cycle...why should we let it have to?

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
My 2015 GT vert has 35K on it and is completely stock. Would I see any real benefit from a catch can? I run 93 octane exclusively.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Manufacturers have to worry about the regulations and complying with them. As others have said, the average person will never bother to empty the catch can. Once that happens the car will not comply with the EPA and other regulations. Think of how many people never change air filters. And how many ignore the tire pressure alerts and CEL?

So, manufacturers take that out of the equation with a solution that complies with the regulations and doesn't require any maintenance by the consumer.

The average car owner isn't an enthusiast like on this site. The catch can will fill up, cause all kinds of engine problems as it sucks massive oil contamination into the intake or simply plugs up and spills.

Sponsored

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
How often do you need to empty a catch can? I would think you could go a long time before it fills up. So every oil change I think would be good. So the can will catch oil but does oil still get through and still cause build up? I know stopping whatever it catches could be better than nothing but is there any long term videos showing a car with a catch can compared to same model without one after say 50k miles being bore scoped or something to see if build up is less?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have a catch can on both of my cars. I empty them every oil change. That seems to be a good interval.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My 2015 GT vert has 35K on it and is completely stock. Would I see any real benefit from a catch can? I run 93 octane exclusively.
Thank you for your prior service Smokey613.

My 2015 GT with ~27k on it needs one, the intake after the throttle body has a nice misting of oil. If you want to have a clean(er) engine, or want to get the most bang for your buck (Quite literally) then you should run it. The knock settings on this car will actually advance slightly when they can to run right at the edge of knock. So even if you are not getting knock, you could be leaving a little bit of high load spark advance on the table.

If you are just using it on the track, and not really doing any part throttle stuff, then I'm not sure how helpful it would be since you are running almost no vacuum (WOT) to "pull" the vapors into the intake manifold.

I just bought one for mine. If my post earlier was misunderstood, I was explaining why the OEMs don't do it - I'm not saying they shouldn't do it though. Especially for forced induction cars, they practically squirt oil through the rings.

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Also another question, is one better than another? Or will a generic, low cost one be fine?
Sponsored