Sponsored

5.4 stroker coyote ?

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Great news for you. How do they "clean up" a spray bore block? Im curious on that one.
It's just a hone, not a typical bore. .005" isn't that much.

Also, Boundary OPG/CG is on sale for $239 vs the $270 for MMR.
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
It's just a hone, not a typical bore. .005" isn't that much.

Also, Boundary OPG/CG is on sale for $239 vs the $270 for MMR.
Good to know thank you. With that .005 hone will you need to use larger pistons or stock sized?

Im a little worried about the boundary stuff due to some of their past quality control issues.. i'll stick with the USA made stuff on those parts... especailly for the $30 difference.

But good looking out and thanks!

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good to know thank you.

Im a little worried about the boundary stuff due to some of their past quality control issues.. i'll stick with the USA made stuff on those parts... especailly for the $30 difference.

But good looking out and thanks!
Wasn't aware they had QC issues? I really don't want to give MMR any money as it seems their support is non-existent. They're happy to take your money though...

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Wasn't aware they had QC issues? I really don't want to give MMR any money as it seems their support is non-existent. They're happy to take your money though...
Totally agree on MMR, but you dont really need any support on parts like that IMO. Boundary had a bad "run" of crank sprockets maybe a year or 2 back where they were breaking. From what ive read, they have since fixed the issue.

MMR also uses a different metal on their forged gears/sprockets (9310 US Billet steel) which is stronger than what TSS and Boundary uses. According to MMR, theyve NEVER had a failure, 0, none.
Impressive if true.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I will need one rich girlfriend and two of those.

I wonder what “custom cross plane crank” refers too?
I wonder too .
Ford racing does make a “5.2” crank they use wirh the alluminator XS .I am not sure if this is the same crank they use in the predator in the GT 500.
It has a longer stroke-93 mm vs the coyote - 92.7 mm .....but it’s $800-$900 more expensive at about $1150 retail (best I have seen).
I will be using a coyote crank with my “predator “ block build for my 18, like I have done with my other “5.2” builds ....technical it won’t be a 5.2(317 cu inches ) but a 5.15(314) . Lol
I will also lose a point of compression with the Voodoo 12.0 pistons but 11.9 is not bad and may actually be a good thing .

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6303-M52
41AED5F5-239D-4A05-86F4-105EC945F00D.png

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it’s the same crank used in the predator.
Part number is KR3Z-6303-A.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-crankshaft-assembly-kr3z6303a

I have been searching and found the ford racing version for $1066 vs $366 for the coyote so it’s about a $700 spread .

I know some sites list the coyote crank for $325 but by the time they add tax and shipping it’s almost $400.
Still debating if it’s worth the extra . I mean, If Ford could have used the cheaper coyote crank in the predator /Alluminator but chose not to ,must be for good reason, right ?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Obviously the blending of virtual design and simulation with real-world testing brought out the best in the combination. Engineers opted to utilize fillet-rolled micro-alloy steel crankshafts of the traditional crossplane variety. The micro-alloy offers manufacturing benefits and the fillet rolling helps it shrug off fatigue. However, they didn't just rely on virtual testing to ensure these cranks were strong enough. They pushed them beyond what they would ever see in the real world.

"We basically break cranks to be sure that we understand what the fillet rolling is capable of doing," Patrick said. "This expanded our database. We actually had to go to a steel and fillet-rolling load that was actually beyond anything we've done in the past. We leveraged some of the knowledge from the industry and demonstrated it for ourselves so that we could go to that next level "

http://www.mustangandfords.com/features/built-ford-fast

I would image it’s more of a longevity thing when comparing coyote vs predator crank. The coyote crank would most likely have worked but when warrantying something for 60k miles a failure rate of 1% vs 5% is expensive. It always breaks down to math with any manufacturer on the reliability vs cost.

Engine building is such a rabbit hole when figuring out cost/reliability/horsepower.

Edit
Also crossed my mind that Ford May have also had the aftermarket in mind. I would imagine there will be some 1200-1500hp 500 running around in short order.

Sponsored
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the 5.2 crank and not the coyote crank uses “fillet rolling “ ?
I am assuming it’s a stronger crank then than the coyote too ?
I have already broken a couple of coyote cranks In my lifetime so might be worth the upgrade if that’s the case .
And I don’t have to use a “5:15 “ badge . Lol

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also looked at the option to use the predator rods

I hear they are just a “beefed” up I beam version of the Voodoo rods . Same forging process and material .
Also cost $122 a piece and the you will need 16 one time use bolts $27 a piece .

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
In your case it might be worth the extra money.

I would imagine the snout was also an area that was addressed on the updated crank but that is pure speculation.

I still think broken snouts are a by product of improper keyway figment/tolerances giving play in the damper. This in short order would put extreme forces on the keyway corners breaking the crank.

A smaller subset are most likely bad luck with manufacturing problems.

For 700 I would probably do it for the heads alone.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Also looked at the option to use the predator rods

I hear they are just a “beefed” up I beam version of the Voodoo rods . Same forging process and material .
Also cost $122 a piece and the you will need 16 one time use bolts $27 a piece .
Ouch. 16x 27 dollar rod bolts in sickening.

Will the coyote rods not work?

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In your case it might be worth the extra money.

I would imagine the snout was also an area that was addressed on the updated crank but that is pure speculation.

I still think broken snouts are a by product of improper keyway figment/tolerances giving play in the damper. This in short order would put extreme forces on the keyway corners breaking the crank.

A smaller subset are most likely bad luck with manufacturing problems.

For 700 I would probably do it for the heads alone .
Not sure what you meant in bold .
Thanks
Sponsored