Pistons - Please

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
About to begin a dedicated build for a high horsepower super charged Gen 3. My question is which forged piston provides the lowest running clearance in the bore?

Mahle indicates their pistons can run .0006" - .0014", which is impressive, if true. Want to stay as close to 12:1 as possible. Will be using a new PTWA Ford Gen 3 block.

Not my first rodeo on an engine build, have done quite a few through the years and I have top tier mics for checking everything as I go, including a high dollar bore mic set.
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
The new Mahle Gen 3 drop ins seem like a nice option and keep factory CR.

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
About to begin a dedicated build for a high horsepower super charged Gen 3. My question is which forged piston provides the lowest running clearance in the bore?

Mahle indicates their pistons can run .0006" - .0014", which is impressive, if true. Want to stay as close to 12:1 as possible. Will be using a new PTWA Ford Gen 3 block.

Not my first rodeo on an engine build, have done quite a few through the years and I have top tier mics for checking everything as I go, including a high dollar bore mic set.
why using a new PTWA block? why not go with a sleeved block if building a high hp car?

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't see the need in a sleeved block for under 1,000 hp. I plan on around 800 max for this application.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No one makes off the shelf 12:1 Gen 3, 5.0 liter forged pistons.

11:1 all day long for the earlier Gen 1 & 2.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
If you're planning on doing 800 a stock gen 3 will handle that all day on E85... No point in spending all this extra money building a block.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
gimmie11s,

Well pooot. Thank you for that, I'll get those ordered this week.

I am building a motor for my 14 year old grandson's benefit. He is a full blown gear head and lives, breaths, and dreams cars and mechanics. He is beside himself to do this with me.

We may look for a salvage title 2018/2019 mustang, fix it up, and drop in this new motor.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Toy Cobra,

Is you motor running yet? What did you thing of JE's quality?

Sponsored

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
@schmeky: Is it only me, or is it looking for trouble wanting to run that high CR with any supercharged application. Yes, I know many have done it, but I will question the longer term reliability of that configuration, being supercharged.

Surely running around the 9-9.5:1 will allow a significant higher reliable output to be achieved, whilst being less dependant on exotic fuels....at these high CR’s, supercharging these engines to higher boost-levels is a challenge, imho.....as we are pretty much octane-limited, hence so many ring-land failures et al, most likely due to detonation and tune not quick enough to pull timing, but perhaps I am just a bit old-school.

I will anyway be sticking to 9:1 in my short block build when pushing 15-20psi manifold pressure through it...

‘Cheers,
Beano

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
@schmeky: Is it only me, or is it looking for trouble wanting to run that high CR with any supercharged application. Yes, I know many have done it, but I will question the longer term reliability of that configuration, being supercharged.

Surely running around the 9-9.5:1 will allow a significant higher reliable output to be achieved, whilst being less dependant on exotic fuels....
I agree, 12:1 compression ratio would not be my first choice...especially if I had the engine on a stand and re-doing the rotating assembly.

I wouldn't go down as far as the 9s as you mentioned, but a 10-10.5:1 motor would be my choice. No reason to go down that low unless you're planning 1500+hp.

And 4032 pistons will always have tighter PTW clearance than a 2618 forging, so if that's what you're looking for OP then you most likely should go with some Mahles. Not many others offer 4032 forgings, most are 2618 and overkill for your situation.
Sponsored