Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously? Right from your own link....
you really need to work on your reading comprehension, sir. My post was not to state you were full of it, but rather why don't you provide actual citations instead of naked assertions.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no doubt that environmentalists would've an interest in alternate fuel alternatives but so is anybody who know that down the road fossil fuel is no longer going to be available.
I doubt gasoline availability matters at all in the decision matrix. And even pretentious eco-preening is also only a modest motivation. The EV attraction is as others have pointed out - little/no maintenance, sitting in traffic has no discernible negative eco impact, and range is more than plenty even if they had to plug it in every night and 'free money' from the govt. It used to be hybrids and EV got toll-free access to HOV lanes but around here (DMV) that's been revoked recently, but was a sizable factor 5 years ago.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
EV's are more expensive than ICE vehicles but with Gov't rebates it can get closer but if it's only about the $ you'll need to calculate when the break-even is to see if it's worth it for you. The gas savings are huge compared to the electricity costs. There's less maintenance.

Other non-monetary factors that hold value to you will need to be taken into account as well. Things like the driving experience. The need to not have to stop every week to fill up with gas (on a cold day it's worth more value).

My daily is a 2017 Chevy Volt (after owning a 2014) and it's got a backup gas engine that kicks in when the battery runs out. You know when the last time I put gas in it was? Feb.01, 2019. It gets me to work and back on battery and it starts charging at 7 pm when hydro rates go down - costs me less than $1 per day to charge. Compare $30 a month to $300 or so for a similar-sized vehicle. $3,000 a year in "fuel" savings means maybe after a couple of years or so you're into break-even territory and it's all gravy after that.

There are challenges with the speed of charging up and until charging stations are more available (like maybe at every gas station), it's a tough sell for someone's only vehicle. That's why I love the Volt - no range anxiety. When I run out of charge, I just fill-up with gas until I'm home to charge it up again. Best of both worlds.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You know when the last time I put gas in it was? Feb.01, 2019.
I question the efficacy of allowing gasoline to get that stale. Like the recent stop/start override button on F150, there really should be a 'I'm on the highway cruising along, switch to gasoline' button.

It occurred to me the 'Mustang' label being applied may well have something to do with the ladies. This, like most forums is a sausage-fest. There are a decent number of ladies who like the Mustang outright. While there are a small percentage who are similarly aghast, I wonder if maybe most ladies don't care about the 'purity of legacy' and in fact welcome 4 doors and maybe a hatchback being applied to the Mustang name.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fall-off in Camaro sales could be traced to the car no longer appealing to the other half of the population because the design screams 20-30yr old male.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The gas savings are huge compared to the electricity costs.
Has anyone in the industry done a study on the impact to future power cost as more and more EVs are sucking it from the power grid?

I have a feeling the cost of electricity/power would at least have to increase at EV the charging stations as demand and required infrastructure and power production increases to meet demand.

And I hope power cost for people's houses don't go up to cover EV chargers, unless those EVs are charged in their own garages. I could see a separate meter someday required in a home charging system to charge more for the power going into an EV battery.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Has anyone in the industry done a study on the impact to future power cost as more and more EVs are sucking it from the power grid?

I have a feeling the cost of electricity/power would at least have to increase at EV the charging stations as demand and required infrastructure and power production increases to meet demand.

And I hope power cost for people's houses don't go up to cover EV chargers, unless those EVs are charged in their own garages. I could see a separate meter someday required in a home charging system to charge more for the power going into an EV battery.
You are forgetting the trend of home solar. But I'm not sure a study has been done on the effects of increased demand (in relation to cost and not function).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could see a separate meter someday required in a home charging system to charge more for the power going into an EV battery.
The electric utilities are a publicly regulated entity and thus subject to political interference, not economic. At less than 3% of sales the effects have been manageable. Try 30% and I think we're going to have higher electricity rates across the board - another huge subsidy stolen from non-EV driving persons. There is no solar power at night and I don't know how well wind fares. The 'last mile' infrastructure costs may be considerable but perhaps unnecessary since car charging overnight can be done at the 4-16A rates. The overnight power prices will go up though so how do the number work when charging KVa is twice what it is currently?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The electric utilities are a publicly regulated entity and thus subject to political interference, not economic. At less than 3% of sales the effects have been manageable. Try 30% and I think we're going to have higher electricity rates across the board - another huge subsidy stolen from non-EV driving persons. There is no solar power at night and I don't know how well wind fares. The 'last mile' infrastructure costs may be considerable but perhaps unnecessary since car charging overnight can be done at the 4-16A rates. The overnight power prices will go up though so how do the number work when charging KVa is twice what it is currently?
That's why I can see regulations someday put in place to separate EV charging at home (via separate power meter) and charging more for that power. If power rates need to go up because of ever increasing EV power use off the grid, then homeowner's should not be paying for everyone else charging up their EVs at home.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
There is no solar power at night
Home batteries recycled from EVs supply power at night that was generated from solar during the day.... No grid required. Grid power on the other hand needs a constant power source. That's where nuclear comes in.... And I'm not taking about the same old nuclear reactor designs from the 50s that have the potential for meltdown. There are FAR better designs out there that do not have any chance of meltdown but no one wants to hear that because they hear nuclear and start thinking of Chernobyl.....

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Just saw first commercial for the mach e while watching football. I wasn't pissed until now. You'd think it was a mustang commercial until the end when all a sudden there it is. :curse:

My wife said, 2 coworkers were talking the other day about how ugly the electric mustang is. Wtf?! Hope you're happy Ford

Sponsored

ToddUGA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Just saw first commercial for the mach e while watching football. I wasn't pissed until now. You'd think it was a mustang commercial until the end when all a sudden there it is. :curse:

My wife said, 2 coworkers were talking the other day about how ugly the electric mustang is. Wtf?! Hope you're happy Ford
Yep...all those great looking Mustangs from the past and present are shown and then someone sticks an ugly ass SUV in there. What an abomination.

bf39fe839ac0c9eae6cdd312868f7788.500x209x16.gif

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone here seen an actual s550 commercial? I never have yet this thing gets one....

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone here seen an actual s550 commercial? I never have yet this thing gets one....
There were when the S550 came out. Some "commercials" might or might not have been on regular TV, and if so probably a shorter version. I do recall seeing TV commercials late 2014 and early 2015 about the S550.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Home batteries recycled from EVs supply power at night that was generated from solar during the day.... No grid required. Grid power on the other hand needs a constant power source. That's where nuclear comes in.... And I'm not taking about the same old nuclear reactor designs from the 50s that have the potential for meltdown. There are FAR better designs out there that do not have any chance of meltdown but no one wants to hear that because they hear nuclear and start thinking of Chernobyl.....
No one has the stones to talk about this as a politician, despite it being reality. If we want to slash our CO2 production, it's the only way.

Unfortunately the big issue as far as the world is concerned is coming from India and China. We (USA) can help, but only so much.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
No one has the stones to talk about this as a politician, despite it being reality. If we want to slash our CO2 production, it's the only way.

Unfortunately the big issue as far as the world is concerned is coming from India and China. We (USA) can help, but only so much.
China and India though are in slightly better positions to develop clean energy since they are actively developing their grids instead of just (poorly) maintaining like ours. I believe China is going to be one of the first with a thorium salt reactor (The reactor tech that uses thorium instead of uranium and doesn't have the potential for meltdown).
Sponsored