Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Actually he’s long on delivery. :) They would have sold a lot more model 3’s had they been on time and came in at the price Musk originally promised.
They have the 35k model ( I have it) but it's not the model it was supposed to be (lowered interior trim for starters) and came 2 years after vehicle began being delivered. They removed it from the online configurator because I'm guessing selling the 35k model in volume (software locked standard range plus with no hardware differences) would have an unfavorable effect on their profits. So you have to know it exists and know how to order it to be able to get one.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They have the 35k model ( I have it) but it's not the model it was supposed to be (lowered interior trim for starters) and came 2 years after vehicle began being delivered. They removed it from the online configurator because I'm guessing selling the 35k model in volume (software locked standard range plus with no hardware differences) would have an unfavorable effect on their profits. So you have to know it exists and know how to order it to be able to get one.
My best friends son works for SpaceX. He was allowed to reserve a Model 3 early on. As with many other Musk employees he did. Then after the delivery delay, the pricing fiasco and the changes to the car he canceled it. Still drives a G37.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Of course it's his ego. Doesn't change the fact that it's so far producing disruptive competition in both markets his companies are currently in. (Vehicles and space) with more to come (starlink = internet).

He is a new Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs was an a*s with a large ego yet I think we can all agree he changed the world with his companies products. The same can be said about Musk IMO. EVs as they are today wouldn't exist without Tesla. They would be more like a Leaf or Prius with unusable range meant only for cities and built for compliance reasons.
No disagreement, but it's actually pretty incredible how much more successful he could've been if he hadn't tried to reinvent car manufacturing while reinventing the EV in the model 3. There were many, many millions lost in operations expense, along with the customer loss and bad press. It came close to sinking them, and they had to abandon it.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Remember this? For those who do not understand why we are so mad at Ford for what they did. And for those of us who do :crying:

I had never seen that one. Awesome segment...and yes...f@#k the Mach E. The coupe style and the sound make a mustang. Not electric and 4 doors...freaking disaster...really hope that thing fails hard.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
No disagreement, but it's actually pretty incredible how much more successful he could've been if he hadn't tried to reinvent car manufacturing while reinventing the EV in the model 3. There were many, many millions lost in operations expense, along with the customer loss and bad press. It came close to sinking them, and they had to abandon it.
But reinventing the process is part of his genius just like Ford’s assembly line. How many times did Jobs fail, before he got it right? Remember there is no success without failure.

What I don’t get is all of the loathing of Musk. Sure he’s a nut job with a huge ego but that goes for most genius’s. He has also built some very strong American business’s employing thousands of Americans. For this alone he has earned my respect.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
But reinventing the process is part of his genius just like Ford’s assembly line
You missed the 'while' part. I've no doubt that he or someone like him will do it. Gambling your industry-changing EV on that was a risk he didn't need to take, and it didn't pay off. Thousands of experienced people could've warned of that.

He has my respect as well but I don't like his style or Jobs', despite their effectiveness. Genius with 1000 helpers model that fails without the genius.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You missed the 'while' part. I've no doubt that he or someone like him will do it. Gambling your industry-changing EV on that was a risk he didn't need to take, and it didn't pay off. Thousands of experienced people could've warned of that.

He has my respect as well but I don't like his style or Jobs', despite their effectiveness. Genius with 1000 helpers model that fails without the genius.
1000 helpers and a Furniture maker give you the Mach E... Ill take the Genius route. Haha

But yes I do agree. His issue is that he wants everything done as once. The Model 3 was a very important product for them, trying to reinvent the manufacturing process on your first mass produced vehicle probably wasn't the best choice. They should have stuck with traditional processes and then taken the plunge on something like the Model Y (BTW they basically are with new modular wiring architecture, that was the main problem with the first attempt, a robot cannot plug in a harness that has no structure and no solid mounting).

Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Great video. That EV POS could never match the total package of a real mustang...looks, sound, heritage.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
EVs as a whole is still less than 3% of all vehicles sold in the US. This number is higher in other countries.

The common person won't buy an EV until 2 things happen. You can charge them from empty to full within 10 minutes or so and the range gets extended. I'm thinking 500 miles of range minimum.
In my opinion 10 minutes is still way too long to be competitive with an ICE that refuels in a much shorter time. 300 mile range is enough, but you need much faster charge time. And EVs need to be less expensive than cars with ICEs to be competitive. Right now there's just nothing better about an EV than a ICE powered vehicle. That's why only environmentalist wackos with too much money buy them right now.

If the common driver is looking for a long distance driver both of these will be critically important. If that same common person is looking for a daily driver that gets driven 200-300 miles a week even current technology is sufficient.

By the way it takes more than 10 minutes to charge your cellphone. I'm thinking 30 minute 1/2 charge, 1 hour full charge would be acceptable for many people. That where the extended range (400-500 miles) becomes important as well.
A cell phone doesn't strand you on the side of the road and you don't need a cell phone to get somewhere. Plus, cell phone charges generally last long enough that the time to recharge isn't a big deal. If they can't fix the time to recharge, they need the range to be long enough so that you can drive all day and not run out of charge. 800-1000 miles of range would probably be acceptable enough for 90%+ of people if the recharge time remains too long.

But reinventing the process is part of his genius just like Ford’s assembly line. How many times did Jobs fail, before he got it right? Remember there is no success without failure.

What I don’t get is all of the loathing of Musk. Sure he’s a nut job with a huge ego but that goes for most genius’s. He has also built some very strong American business’s employing thousands of Americans. For this alone he has earned my respect.
I don't like Musk because he seems like a "cult of personality" type with brainwashed followers. Like Hitler, Kennedy, Charles Manson. As long as he only uses his power to make money and doesn't do anything too crazy, he's mostly harmless. But he's the type that makes me worry. Too many people worship him.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
That's why only environmentalist wackos with too much money buy them right now.
Well, this one I can tell you from personal experience is just absolutely wrong. I know its your opinion but it is not based on any currently held facts. There is no doubt that environmentalists would've an interest in alternate fuel alternatives but so is anybody who know that down the road fossil fuel is no longer going to be available.

800-1000 miles of range would probably be acceptable enough for 90%+ of people if the recharge time remains too long.
I hear you on fast recharging but honestly how many people do you know that need that kind of range on a daily basis. Even when I travelled back and forth to my office for work, 400 for the week would have been sufficient. The new Telsa 3 motor truck is advertised at 500 so we are getting there. The charger network is going to take time put it will get there too.

Like Hitler, Kennedy, Charles Manson.
That is one helluva leap. Seriously Hack, even putting Hitler into this thread is ludicrous, hurtful and totally unnecessary. How about Jobs, Gates, & Zuckerberg. None of them killed millions of people. and i'm not fearful of any of them either. Including Musk.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)