crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering if anyone on the forum as any links to posts of people who have purchased and run one of the 344/351 Coyote Stroker kits. I can't really find what I'm looking for, but maybe someone has seen a thread or videos with dyno pulls and info.
Sponsored

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Dang, I didn't think a stroker would be that much. Shiz...

That's crazy when forced induction is half the price. But I understand wanting to do something different.
Well unfortunately that example is not just simply a stroker crank in a production Coyote block. That has an aftermarket sleeved block which means big $$$. Also it's a custom billet crank and billet rods, so once again big $$$.

You should be able to save money by keeping the stock block and going with a basic H beam 6.125 rod (LS rods). But that will have to be done by a machine shop, I'm not sure RGR offers those cost saving options.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Well unfortunately that example is not just simply a stroker crank in a production Coyote block. That has an aftermarket sleeved block which means big $$$. Also it's a custom billet crank and billet rods, so once again big $$$.

You should be able to save money by keeping the stock block and going with a basic H beam 6.125 rod (LS rods). But that will have to be done by a machine shop, I'm not sure RGR offers those cost saving options.
Gotcha,

I'd say the average person wouldn't need a block capable of over 1000 horsepower.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
That's a cool deal, but if you look at it, just going over bore alone gives you 0.2L. Even cheaper to make yourself a 5.2L Cross Plane Coyote. Plus overboring is easier on the rotating assembly than stroking.
Yeah .
I spoke with 3 different engine builders (not MMR of course) and 2 of them discouraged it . There concern was clearance issues and “ how much the piston skirt comes out of the bore on bottom dead center “— Greek to me but they are the experts .lol
Another builder had done a few but said the rotating assembly needs some “serious balancing”.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah .
I spoke with 3 different engine builders (not MMR of course) and 2 of them discouraged it . There concern was clearance issues and “ how much the piston skirt comes out of the bore on bottom dead center “— Greek to me but they are the experts .lol
Another builder had done a few but said the rotating assembly needs some “serious balancing”.
That's really the one bad thing about the Mod motor in general - they are already "stroked". Ford had to do it to remain competitive with GM, but at the same time digging their heels, refusing to retool Romeo to accommodate a larger bore center. Larger bore = larger valves. Longer stroke really puts the hurtin' on everything because it drastically changes the acceleration of the piston. Plus, it throws off the rod to stroke ratio, and scuffs the crap put of the cylinder sides and pistons. To fix that, you gotta run a deeper skirt, which makes the piston heavier and more friction, and like you said, you basically get to the point where the piston almost falls out of the cylinder.

The LS7 (Corvette Z06 // 427 // 7.0L) had this exact problem. GM fixed the problem by lengthening the cylinder sleeves. It's a hack, yet worked quite well. Depending on the block geometry, it might technically be possible on a coyote, but by the time you do all that, you might as well just buy a racing block with a taller deck allowing you do to it right. I'm not sure why the balancing would be difficult other than the pistons or crank were lousy on the tolerances -- but I'm not an assembler, so I'm speaking as an internet quarterback does LOL.

Although I am not convinced Ford is willing to do a complete redesign of the coyote (electrification trumps everything right now) but if they did, it would be in their best interest to increase the bore centers. No other change (Short of using a better quality oil pump gear) will improve it more.

I'm an engine guy, I typically buy an engine and happen to get whatever car it's packaged in. I love the sound of the coyote and that it revs sky high over the LT1, and that's why I bought my mustang.

I found this blog post by JE Pistons which will help explain the "greek" for you :)
Sponsored