Oil Plug Being Difficult on '19 GT

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I haven't seen any direct posts talking about it.

But what is an alternative safe way to remove the plug when I can not seem to get it to pull or turn. I even used a vice grip to no success. Any help would be appreciated. I missed the parts closing time today. So I want to get this done before the week starts but not with popping off one of the flanges.

Yay for getting dirty with a car again. But BOOOOO for this damn drain plug. My alternative is at autozone. The older model with the wrench adapter to remove it. In case I just end up breaking it.
Just completed my first change on my 19. Turned and it came right out. I found it easy, but definitely a different paradigm than the old metal bolt. The oil pan is plastic, so the threads wont likely last with anything metal being threaded.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Couldn't see one compatible for the plastic drain pan.
You may be right, I just selected 2019 Ford Mustang 5.0 from their selection menu and it showed several options so I assumed they would work, but now looking at the pictures the part that seals the hole looks completely different than how I remember our yellow plug looking.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to remember, but aren't the drain plugs designed to be used with a 3/8" extension, it the square just plugs in.

Also, I always did mine by hand. I enjoyed that.

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I'm trying to remember, but aren't the drain plugs designed to be used with a 3/8" extension, it the square just plugs in.

The diff drain and fill plugs use a 3/8" ratchet (no sockets). Just put the square peg in the...square hole. Oil is just twist off by hand.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I use a small adjustable crescent wrench to loosen my plastic drain plug. I purchased two spare replacement units to use down the road but I have reused my orindinal plug 4 times so far with no issues. The ten quarts come flying out but the drain hole is so large that you can stick your thumb into the oil pan and pull more crud out if needed.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The diff drain and fill plugs use a 3/8" ratchet (no sockets). Just put the square peg in the...square hole. Oil is just twist off by hand.
lrs-6730aa_74a97574.jpg

Is this not what they look like now? I googled and saw a few different ones, this is what it looked like on my GT350.

Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
I took mine off for the first (and last) time a couple weeks ago. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to carefully lift the tab while twisting. It took a little bit since I was afraid of breaking something...I kept the old one as an emergency backup.
I put in a Ronin Drain Valve which will make future changes much more easy and cleaner.
+1 on the Ronin drain valve

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Fumoto is supposed to have one available in a couple months.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the Ronin drain valve
I've been debating the Ronin drain valve. Thinking about pulling the trigger - Amazon even has it. I like the construction of it. I've spent $80 on things that did a lot less good.

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

That was the old design. Over torq was a issue that was said in another thread.

As an update. I did not have a parts department opened at the time. So the car went to my friendly goodyear shop and they helped pop it off and use my oil and filter I had purchased. I feel defeated I could not remove that bugger. But I'm laying on my back and trying out these rhino ramps instead of jacks for usability to get under. I was avoiding breaking the clip which they were able to take care of fine.

But my guys got the job done. I just will have to order the Ronin or other AE Bullit plug. This was so difficult I'm pretty bummed out I couldn't do that change myself. But hopefully next time.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto

The plastic pan and the plastic drain plug is the dumbest thing Ford has done in a long time. Ford has used threaded steel drain plugs and steel oil pans since 1932 and probably even before. The plastic pan contributes to more engine noise and the drain plug contributes to an oil mess if you're not careful when draining. Also God forbid, bottom out see how that works out for you.
Sponsored