cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen any direct posts talking about it.

But what is an alternative safe way to remove the plug when I can not seem to get it to pull or turn. I even used a vice grip to no success. Any help would be appreciated. I missed the parts closing time today. So I want to get this done before the week starts but not with popping off one of the flanges.

Yay for getting dirty with a car again. But BOOOOO for this damn drain plug. My alternative is at autozone. The older model with the wrench adapter to remove it. In case I just end up breaking it.
Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine off for the first (and last) time a couple weeks ago. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to carefully lift the tab while twisting. It took a little bit since I was afraid of breaking something...I kept the old one as an emergency backup.
I put in a Ronin Drain Valve which will make future changes much more easy and cleaner.

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine off for the first (and last) time a couple weeks ago. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to carefully lift the tab while twisting. It took a little bit since I was afraid of breaking something...I kept the old one as an emergency backup.
I put in a Ronin Drain Valve which will make future changes much more easy and cleaner.
If they had an in person shop I could purchase. I would. But for this change. I'm going to look for a temp solution. And plan for the next change. Did not realize these things were jbwelded on the oil drain

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Just eat a bowl of Wheaties and man handle that thing.

Or get a longer ratchet :rockon:

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just eat a bowl of Wheaties and man handle that thing.

Or get a longer ratchet :rockon:
If it was a bolt. I'd be done. It's some hand turned and pulled plug that is just not buddging. I tried a trick with a flat head screwdriver but I gave up. I didn't want to start scratching anything under there or break off the clip.

Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I simply turned it counter-clockwise with my fingers and it came out. There is a tab which kind of locks it in place, but if you turn it hard enough the tab will pop out. No tools required. When you tighten it, make sure the tab pops back into place to lock it.

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible
That’s exactly how I get my drain plug to unlock - with a small flathead screwdriver to gently lift the locking tab. I have now changed oil in my Coyote 4 times with no problems with the plastic drain plug, I did go with a new plug at the last change just to be conservative. One tip: when the plug comes out, the oil gushes out all at once. You will need a deep oil drain pan at the ready.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The drain plug is a single use item anyways. I just grabbed it and turned and it came out. When was your last meal? Vegetarian? Kidding of course. It's different when you know you aren't going to reuse the plug and you are free to be a little more rough with it. The Ronin valve is the way to go. I mean all the valves are awesome but I went with Ronin. Hope you got it all worked out.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Is it really single use? I don't see why it can't be reused. I guess the tabs which lock it in place will eventually wear out but it would take many oil changes before that would happen.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Is it really single use? I don't see why it can't be reused. I guess the tabs which lock it in place will eventually wear out but it would take many oil changes before that would happen.
Per owners manual it's a single use item. $10 for a new one plus the 10 qts of oil (MY18,19) and a filter makes it about $100 per oil change depending on brands used and if you do it yourself or not. Another reason for going with a valve. 7 oil changes and it's payed for itself vs new plugs every time.

Sponsored

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
I bought a couple extras online just in case. Super cheap when you have them shipped to your local dealership.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Which valve did you get?

On my last car (VW GTI) I would change the oil by sucking it out the dipstick tube with my oil extractor pump. No point in doing that with the mustang since you have to lift the car and go under it to change the oil filter, so may as well drain the oil while you're down there. On my GTI the filter was in the engine bay so I didn't need to go under the car or lift it to change the oil. It was very convenient.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Which valve did you get?

On my last car (VW GTI) I would change the oil by sucking it out the dipstick tube with my oil extractor pump. No point in doing that with the mustang since you have to lift the car and go under it to change the oil filter, so may as well drain the oil while you're down there. On my GTI the filter was in the engine bay so I didn't need to go under the car or lift it to change the oil. It was very convenient.
My mini was the same way, filter cartridge access from the top of the engine, just had to move the hamster over a little. I went with Ronin, here's a link.

https://roninfactory.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I think the single use thing is nonsense. My new F150 5.0 has the same setup and I reused the original plug with no issue. The only thing you'd really have to worry about is the integrity of the o-ring with repeated uses but if it has a film of oil on it I can't imagine it not lasting a long time. I like the no tools aspect.

My biggest gripe is the mess, the new pan/plug setup is by far the messiest oil change I've seen in almost 40 years of changes. I've got a Ronin on the shelf for the next time, so only one more Exxon Valdez in my garage....

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I think the single use thing is nonsense. My new F150 5.0 has the same setup and I reused the original plug with no issue. The only thing you'd really have to worry about is the integrity of the o-ring with repeated uses but if it has a film of oil on it I can't imagine it not lasting a long time. I like the no tools aspect.

My biggest gripe is the mess, the new pan/plug setup is by far the messiest oil change I've seen in almost 40 years of changes. I've got a Ronin on the shelf for the next time, so only one more Exxon Valdez in my garage....
I threw my plug in a garage cupboard in case I ever need it. I also don't see a reason for it being a single use item but it's in the manual. The military vehicle I help to maintain at work have single use lug nuts but they only get replaced when they actually need it.
Sponsored