Sponsored

Real world Oil change interval

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
You only get one chance to get an early (1k ish) oil change. Miss it and you'll never know what you could have prevented.
Changing oil early is like being offered the best insurance policy ever. It is 100℅ guaranteed. You can't lose. And to all those who preach on about the engine tick caused by changing oil early and Ford using a magic additives that they keep to themselves - Bollocks.
The most wear an engine ever experiences is in the first 1000 or so. There are bound to be miniscule microns of metal trapped in the oil. The filter should trap the majority, but how would you know what is flowing through the oil pump, around the galleries, circulating within your pride and joy? Answer = change the oil as soon as you can. If all is well then sure, 10k / 1Y services thereafter.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
You only get one chance to get an early (1k ish) oil change. Miss it and you'll never know what you could have prevented.
Changing oil early is like being offered the best insurance policy ever. It is 100℅ guaranteed. You can't lose. And to all those who preach on about the engine tick caused by changing oil early and Ford using a magic additives that they keep to themselves - Bollocks.
The most wear an engine ever experiences is in the first 1000 or so. There are bound to be miniscule microns of metal trapped in the oil. The filter should trap the majority, but how would you know what is flowing through the oil pump, around the galleries, circulating within your pride and joy? Answer = change the oil as soon as you can. If all is well then sure, 10k / 1Y services thereafter.
Oh yeah cuz doing 1k miles or doing 1.5k miles makes a mammoth difference to the engine if metal was swirling around

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
Oh yeah cuz doing 1k miles or doing 1.5k miles makes a mammoth difference to the engine if metal was swirling around
Didn't mean literally 1000 miles exactly... Common sense needed. :computerrage:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
i had to reset it 2k ago after the dealer forgot...
So yes I can get it to stop nagging me.
But I guess my questions are:
1) is this common?
2) does it really need it?
Personally I don’t think so, but the ford techy geeks must have made an algorithm for the ‘idiot light’ based on some logic?
A quick google about shows issues with oil foaming and contamination, but the cynic in me sees Ford profit.
If a 911 turbo can manage 20k between oil changes, surely some Detroit iron can?
Maybe UK has different software but the US code is damn good. The amount of miles until the reminder can vary by huge amounts because different driving patterns/conditions have huge impacts.

Maybe some of the input could be wrong due to some malfunction in your car. I would not ignore the warning. But I would send a sample for analysis and if that shows the oil is in great shape, I would look into the components that generate input for the oil life system. would not be happy to find the oil life monitor system in my particular car was defective but we all managed before they existed.

As for profit from oil changes, maybe owners use Ford dealers a lot in the UK but its pretty rare in the US since independent shops are cheaper and probably closer and with faster turn-around. Plus dealers or any other 3rd parties don't have an investment in your car; they sometimes make terrible mistakes, so a lot of owners change their own because its cheaper, safer, and can even be faster. I've heard Ford might be more strict about that in the UK.

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Well I must be the only one who is not arsed about changing my oil till the service time :cwl:

Admittedly it’s not going to be a long term car probably 2 years at most so after that any issues are the next guys problem :giggle:

In the meantime if it breaks it’s under warranty :thumbsup:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Well I must be the only one who is not arsed about changing my oil till the service time :cwl:
Admittedly it’s not going to be a long term car probably 2 years at most so after that any issues are the next guys problem :giggle:
You're not the only one, however my car has been serviced three times and is yet to break 6000 miles :shock:

Just to stir the pot... I reckon all these oil cooler failures is due to 1k changes...:bandit:

I jest.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

Not to worry you'll pay for it in the PCP depreciation trap!

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Not to worry you'll pay for it in the PCP depreciation trap!
True in some cases but all depends on how much you “paid” for the car compared to what it’s worth a year or two down the line, if you get it cheap then real depreciation is minimal over say 12-24 months, mines looking good so far with nearly double the equity in it to when I started, will be a nice deposit on the next car when I decide to change.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
That's true, the Mustangs are holding their value really well

Sponsored

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
You're not the only one, however my car has been serviced three times and is yet to break 6000 miles :shock:
Lol, my car is a bit newer than yours and I'm up at 26K on the clock. Only 6K on yours, blimey! Missed out on a lot of V8 aural goodness!

FWIW, whilst having a servicing plan from the supplying dealer, when the oil life prompt appears, a local independent is happy to change the oil/filter (with OEM oil & parts). My car I intend to keep until I'm an wizened old man so it will get serviced as it thinks fit.

Ain't no PCP short term fuck-the-next-owner mentality here.

16stangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So it's been one year since my last oil change and the light came on. However, I only have about 500 miles or so on the oil.
Is there any reason the oil needs to be changed after a year with such low mileage and fairly gentle driving?
I'd like to wait another year if possible, which at this rate will still only be just over 1000 miles or so...
The car only has about 6800mi on it all together...

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So it's been one year since my last oil change and the light came on. However, I only have about 500 miles or so on the oil.
Is there any reason the oil needs to be changed after a year with such low mileage and fairly gentle driving?
I'd like to wait another year if possible, which at this rate will still only be just over 1000 miles or so...
The car only has about 6800mi on it all together...
If you would have said 2000 miles I would probably say no. But if that 500 miles is short trips around the block then I would change it. Oil needs to be heated for a semi long period of time to boil off water and unused gas.

So if that 500 miles is 50-10 mile trips yes. If that 500 miles is 10-50 mile trips then no.

Most will say no but it’s cheap insurance.

AB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
So my car had it's 1st 12 month service in April 2019 with 4000 miles on the clock.

Fast forward to today, 5 months and 2000 miles later, the oil is showing as 3% life left.

Is this normal? I've come from Porsche's requiring a service every 2 years.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I've been doing 10k intervals on every car I've owned for the last 15 years or so, including my wife's 210k mile Mercedes SLK230. It doesn't use or leak any oil, so I figure I must be doing something right.

For the record - I only use Mobil 1.
Sponsored