2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
2019 Mustang GT Manual

Guys I need some advise and guidance on how to shift quick from first to second and possible third without causing jerky shifts and also not causing any cluth damage.

I can shift smooth but I feel like when I do smooth shifting the car is so slow and people who have a corolla can just take off when stopped at a red light and I can catch up to the speeds eventually.

I want to know how you all shift gears and at what rpms and how do you release clutch properly to shift quick but without any jerky moves.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
For maximum acceleration, I shift above 7K rpm, push the clutch to the floor, pull it down into 2nd or shove it up into 3rd, mat it and dump the clutch as fast as you can. The faster you can do all this, the better you'll get. You can't baby it if you're trying to achieve maximum acceleration.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
If you are just talking about smooth shifting, then you need to watch the RPM drop after you press the clutch. The RPM will drop and pause at the correct RPM for the next gear. If you wait (and it seems quite a long time for the 1-2 shift), you will have smooth shifts.....the time on the 2-3, 3-4 is much less than the 1-2...

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Its annoying to me as well. The revs dont drop for like a second after clutching in, so you have to wait almost a second to get a smooth shift. I think ford programmed it like that so the average person would be smooth. I really just wish the revs would drop when you clutch in and come off the gas.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Is that possibly something a tuner could program out?

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
2019 Mustang GT Manual

Guys I need some advise and guidance on how to shift quick from first to second and possible third without causing jerky shifts and also not causing any cluth damage.

I can shift smooth but I feel like when I do smooth shifting the car is so slow and people who have a corolla can just take off when stopped at a red light and I can catch up to the speeds eventually.

I want to know how you all shift gears and at what rpms and how do you release clutch properly to shift quick but without any jerky moves.

Thanks!!!
Practice. And don't worry about being "fast" when you are just putzing around in traffic. Be quick and smooth. Every car is a little different.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
For putting around in traffic, I always had the jerky feeling between 1-2 shift. Could not feel the engagement point.

Once I pulled out that clutch assist spring, I could now feel it and the problem was corrected.

For putting around, ride out the clutch a little longer.

In your dash settings, I believe there is a "shift hang" feature that can be disabled. Under driver assist?

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Last night I was stopped at a red light! This guy in a bmw 3 series beat me! I mean I was not trying to race him but I was just trying to cath up. I feel like I can't quick shift this car unless I jerk and dump the cluth from the start. I can cath up to people from third and fourth but start off it feels really slow

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
LOOOOOOOL!!!

Yeah....you're first manual transmission.

Gonna hafta' learn how to use the crappy clutch smoothly. It just takes time and experience. Just drive it, you'll get the hang of it.

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
First of all, if you think this manual is tough to drive smooth, don't ever drive a manual Foxbody. The clutch in these cars are by far the easiest to drive of any Mustang I've owned.

Sounds like you need to spend some time getting to know the car. Did you know your car will keep itself running if you let the clutch out slowly in first from a stop? You don't even have to touch the gas, the car will rev itself up a little and is super handy for bumper to bumper traffic. For smooth 1-2 shifting it will always be a compromise. To very smoothly shift 1-2 you will not be moving very fast, this is true with pretty much any manual. If you want to drive faster than the traffic around you, well.....you're going to have to accelerate faster than them so some of that smoothness is going to go out the window when you press down the happy pedal on a 460hp car. You can slip the clutch a little more instead of dumping it, this will help.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
2019 Mustang GT Manual

Thanks!!!
You shift differently depending on how much of the gas pedal you are using. Under full load, your shifts need to be precise and crisp, with your clutch work matching.

Coincidentally, You can also use a lot of second gear to get up to speed fast, and lazily shift into 5th... while feather in the clutch rather nonchalantly and smoothing it in, so you engage @ low rpms. Say from near redline to 1600 RPMs.

You can skip gears as you like. Heck, depending on your final drive, you can skip 1st gear and use 2nd at stop lights. Nice if your holding a camera, or drink in your other hand.. on city streets, etc.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Practice, but with a stock setup you'll probably never get as far as you want because high rpm lockout is prevalent in these cars especially from 2 to 3.

Is that possibly something a tuner could program out?
Yes, Lund tuned out the shift assist for me. I don't need nannies helping me thanks.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Practice, but with a stock setup you'll probably never get as far as you want because high rpm lockout is prevalent in these cars especially from 2 to 3.

Yes, Lund tuned out the shift assist for me. I don't need nannies helping me thanks.
When does the high rpm lockout occur? I've shifted at 7400+ several times and have yet to run into it.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
When does the high rpm lockout occur? I've shifted at 7400+ several times and have yet to run into it.
I should say on the 15-17 cars it's pretty common. On the 18+ with the new twin disk it's a lot better. My car stock wouldn't get 3rd easily anywhere over 4500rpm it was really annoying. With some bg syncromesh and a shifter bracket it was a lot better and now with the MGW x-spec and spec 2+ clutch it's butter.
Sponsored