Sponsored

Quick Manual shifting advise!

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I should say on the 15-17 cars it's pretty common. On the 18+ with the new twin disk it's a lot better. My car stock wouldn't get 3rd easily anywhere over 4500rpm it was really annoying. With some bg syncromesh and a shifter bracket it was a lot better and now with the MGW x-spec and spec 2+ clutch it's butter.
Nice, I traded out the trans oil in my '13 with some Redline MT fluid and it improved a great deal.
Sponsored

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just beat a DCT Golf R down in Mexico from a 20, 30 and 40 roll. He is making around the same power as me.

Fast shifts at 8k rpm, no lockout, no aftermarket shifter. It can be done. I don't recommend ramming it in to gear, give it firm pressure at the gate and it falls right in to gear.

Practice.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I should say on the 15-17 cars it's pretty common. On the 18+ with the new twin disk it's a lot better. My car stock wouldn't get 3rd easily anywhere over 4500rpm it was really annoying. With some bg syncromesh and a shifter bracket it was a lot better and now with the MGW x-spec and spec 2+ clutch it's butter.
On my 19 I would get the lock out mostly shifting into 3rd at redline. Never much lower in the rpms than that and rarely into second. Only when power shifting hard. Once I learned this car had a lock out and that was why it was happening I was able to make it go away. With the stock shifter smooth and steady is the way to engage it at high rpm. Lower in the rpm range quick shifts work great and keep the acceleration feeling very smooth. I know a lot of people dont like the mt82 but I love the feel of it. One of the best feeling manuals I've ever had. Eventually I'll swap a short shifter or shifter bracket in so I can shift harder up high but for now its plenty of fun.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
2019 Mustang GT Manual

Guys I need some advise and guidance on how to shift quick from first to second and possible third without causing jerky shifts and also not causing any cluth damage.

I can shift smooth but I feel like when I do smooth shifting the car is so slow and people who have a corolla can just take off when stopped at a red light and I can catch up to the speeds eventually.
Is it really worth even the extra gas proving the obvious . . . over and over and over again?

I want to know how you all shift gears and at what rpms and how do you release clutch properly to shift quick but without any jerky moves.
All I can suggest here is experiment with slightly different techniques and practice whatever works for you. Just don't "ride the clutch".

Norm

Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Wow after reading this thread I gotta say I have the answer.

It's called an automatic. You see, here is my strategy. I'm at a dead stop? I lazily put one hand on the steering wheel and I use my RIGHT foot, not the left (that's important to keep in mind) and I smash the gas pedal. I then sit back and enjoy the ride. I dare a Corolla to keep up with my 6R80. I then pound my chest in glorious victory.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's getting to know the car and timing. You have to be able to watch the light and time the releasing the clutch and stepping on the gas almost at the same time for a smooth launch. One the clutch is fully released then you just push the gas pedal down until the desired speed or RPM is reached. And you punch it too hard or you could get wheel spin. For faster acceleration and to get up to speed faster you just have to rev the engine more. Manuals, unless you beat on them and double clutch do not shift as fast as automatics- the DSG's shift especially fast. In any manual including my past 2018 GT if I took off slow from the light and did not rev it high, the automatics (any car) would beat me. It's because they floor it as soon as the light turns green. Yes I can beat them if I precisely time it and do a good launch and rev it high with a manual but I don't want to do that at every light. My 2018 VW GTI is super quick with the DSG transmission- even with very light throttle. And it shifts lightening fast. I take off quick from almost every light barely touching the gas. Yes my GT would beat it but have to have a really good take off and rev it out.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
This comment makes no sense to me. You do realize you can easily hit 70 in 2nd and 100 in 3rd.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I feel like as if I can shift quicker from third to fourth and smoothly but the hardest part is 1st to second. What I am trying to achieve is smooth shifting but quick and without damaging the clutch in the long run.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Haha!! My next mustang will be an automatic lol.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Sorry I wasn't clear, I feel like as if I can shift quicker from third to fourth and smoothly but the hardest part is 1st to second. What I am trying to achieve is smooth shifting but quick and without damaging the clutch in the long run.
It just takes practice bud. There isn’t much you’ll get from a forum that will help you in this regard because so much of it is done by feel.

Experiment with it, but have fun. We got manuals because we like the additional challenge of keeping ourselves on point and in tune with the car, the rewards are great when you pull it off.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Unless you launch a manual the auto will always beat you off the line. Have you considered not trying to race cars at street lights? I personally dont race stop light to stop light because of inexperienced drivers like yourself. Had a camaro try to race my mustang one day and he lost control shifting second and would have wiped out my beautiful ride if I had been racing instead of sitting back watching him look like a dumbass. You dont have to race to have fun in a manual. I wait till I'm alone at a light. Roll out slow so I'm not abusing my clutch. Smash the gas and let the tires spin and the ass end shake. Slam second gear and take off with a smile on my face. Repeat as much as possible on a daily basis.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wow after reading this thread I gotta say I have the answer.

It's called an automatic. You see, here is my strategy. I'm at a dead stop? I lazily put one hand on the steering wheel and I use my RIGHT foot, not the left (that's important to keep in mind) and I smash the gas pedal. I then sit back and enjoy the ride. I dare a Corolla to keep up with my 6R80. I then pound my chest in glorious victory.
Sorry, but having to put up with the way an automatic works all the time just so I can guarantee the occasional win against Corollas and such . . . is just too much penalty for too little benefit.

Norm

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Haha!! My next mustang will be an automatic lol.
Why not go all the way and just get a Tesla. You will beat pretty much everyone, however you will need to realize you are just driving a very expensive toaster on wheels.

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Why not go all the way and just get a Tesla. You will beat pretty much everyone, however you will need to realize you are just driving a very expensive toaster on wheels.
So would driving a Mustang be like driving a very expensive grill on wheels?
Sponsored