Sponsored

Ecoboost axle nut thread size. Need help!

• Thread starter Deleted member
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

Deleted member

So I had a bit of a issue come up, this morning I was replacing the rear hubs on the car, and my dumb a** screwed up the threads for the axle nut on the end of the axle. So the axle nut will not go back on without cross threading and deystroying the axle threads even further.

I’d like to try and clean up the threads before ordering a new cv axle. Does anyone know the thread size/count for the axle nuts. I’m trying to find it so I can get the right tap but no luck.

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
So I had a bit of a issue come up, this morning I was replacing the rear hubs on the car, and my dumb a** screwed up the threads for the axle nut on the end of the axle. So the axle nut will not go back on without cross threading and deystroying the axle threads even further.

I’d like to try and clean up the threads before ordering a new cv axle. Does anyone know the thread size/count for the axle nuts. I’m trying to find it so I can get the right tap but no luck.

Thanks in advance guys.
Find a stock axle on here. Prob be cheaper than buying a thread die that big( tap is for the nut, which should've been a new one anyway). If I had to guess M25x.75.

OP
OP

Deleted member

That’s what I meant, die not tap. And ya I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that. I’d rather give the die a shot since I’ll have to replace the axle anyways.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Can you just go get another nut at the dealer or parts store? You might also be able to flip the nut around and use the clean threads on the other side of the nut to straighten out the threads on the axle. Also might check on a tiny triangular file (like from HF, etc) to clean up the threads on the axle.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Can you just go get another nut at the dealer or parts store? You might also be able to flip the nut around and use the clean threads on the other side of the nut to straighten out the threads on the axle. Also might check on a tiny triangular file (like from HF, etc) to clean up the threads on the axle.
Thats the problem, the threads are damaged on the axle itself and that then damaged the axle nut, need to clean up the thread on the axle itself before trying a new nut.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That sucks.

Good luck, hope you find a die. Maybe a machine shop?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You’d be better off just purchasing a used set of good axles and new nuts - instead of trying to fix the threads of that now ruined axle.

I know the attempt and action is to try and fix - but if the threads get too chewed up OR don’t level out after trying to do a tap/die process (or reverse nutting it) - you’re never going to be able to properly secure the axle nut or get proper torque on it. Tap and die process also removes metal as the process works to rethreading the damaged metal.

That’s dangerous when you have full load of the car bearing down on it during highway driving, doing evasive steering maneuvers or taking curves.

Be wise, be safe - just replace the ruined axle and nut completely.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Get another axle. A die of around that size can be $45 (at MSC) and that will only provide cut threads, not as good as the (probably) rolled threads of the original.
It only holds the wheel on, what could go wrong? ;)

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
How did you damage the threads in the first place?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is what I'm thinking as well - but only if he still has almost a full thickness of the nut worth of good threads and the damaged axle threads aren't too badly damaged.

File repair of threads is basically the same thing as cut threads, but at least the last thread on the outer end of the nut (as installed) doesn't carry a "full share" of the clamp load based on the number of threads engaged.

Absolutely a new nut.

Norm

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member

Ok guys what if i had a machine shop just use a lathe to cut down the first few rows of damaged threads on the axle and use a new axle nut of course. There are more than enough rows of thread that are still fine after the first few damaged ones.

I've already ordered a new axle from Tasca, but id like to try this and be able to return the axle to save myself the money.

How did you damage the threads in the first place?
Lets just say the hub was being a PITA and not coming out of the knuckle, i was giving the hubs some knocks with a hammer to loosen it up, hammer missed its mark one swing and slide off the knuckle and hit the top of the exposed threads on the axle...... I know im an idiot...

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ok guys what if i had a machine shop just use a lathe to cut down the first few rows of damaged threads on the axle and use a new axle nut of course. There are more than enough rows of thread that are still fine after the first few damaged ones.

I've already ordered a new axle from Tasca, but id like to try this and be able to return the axle to save myself the money.

Lets just say the hub was being a PITA and not coming out of the knuckle, i was giving the hubs some knocks with a hammer to loosen it up, hammer missed its mark one swing and slide off the knuckle and hit the top of the exposed threads on the axle...... I know im an idiot...
I could say I never did anything like that... but I did (long ago). But I have learned since then that if we don't spend the $$$ for the proper tools we will spend it on the replacement parts, and then some!
The service manual shows a puller being used to remove the hub, the splines are a press fit to take the torque, the nut only presses and holds the hub on.

Back to your issue: if there are plenty of threads you could maybe file off the offending threads, that way you don't have to remove the axle.

OP
OP

Deleted member

One more question guys, im finding all kinds of used axles on ebay, but there all from 5.0's. Are the shafts different from eco to 5.0?

OP
OP

Deleted member

Well i figured out a solution guys. I took my angle grinder at used it to taper down the end of the axle at the first few damaged threads. Cleaned it up got it as uniform and smooth as possible, and a new axle nut went right on no problem. Was able to cancel my order for a new axle from tasca before it shipped and saved my self $275!