GT500 Track Performance

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
So based on your earlier statement, either you've spent a bunch of time A/B testing different designs of carbon fiber rims on track vs. aluminum or you know someone who has?

Please tell us where your in-depth knowledge of carbon fiber rims has come from.
No, But i have cracked enough rims to know that if you are going to ACTUALLY track the car more then 2-3 times a year that putting aluminum wheels on is the much better choice. Also Aluminum is less likely to shatter like carbon would.

Im not Denying that the CFTP vs Base will be faster in stock form, But they are all easy to take care of differences.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No, But i have cracked enough rims to know that if you are going to ACTUALLY track the car more then 2-3 times a year that putting aluminum wheels on is the much better choice. Also Aluminum is less likely to shatter like carbon would.

Im not Denying that the CFTP vs Base will be faster in stock form, But they are all easy to take care of differences.
So you are saying that your extensive basis of knowledge comes from an engineering or manufacturing engineering background where you have built and destructively tested many different designs of CF rims vs. similar aluminum rims?

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
So you are saying that your extensive basis of knowledge comes from an engineering or manufacturing engineering background where you have built and destructively tested many different designs of CF rims vs. similar aluminum rims?
I think you are reading too far into this my friend. Enjoy your Carbon wheels, Ill leave you with the Ford Mg MkII (also NOT on carbon wheels)

ford-gt-mkii-2019.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wouldn't call that 10/10ths, however nice driving. I noticed your line varied a bit around Rolex turn 1 and 3 with no reason for each variation. I like to stay low in the banks..... you can pick up a little time there too. I couldn't sit and watch the whole thing but 2:06 are decent lap times. I'm right in that time bracket and I do not call myself a 10/10ths driver. I noticed you spend a lot of time with your right hand on the shifter and not on the wheel. I'm sure you know this, but my biggest concern at Daytona is when a tire delamination occurs. The guys who I have seen save the car from the wall are the ones with both hands planted on the wheel.

Anyway, I didn't know who you were (or are), but you and your driving certainly qualifies you to make the observations you did.

Nice job!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This is an excerpt of an interview that I can't use in an article. It is what Johnson thinks of the carbon fiber rims in on track performance.

"What's the difference between the GT350 and GT350R? 5-seconds at VIR. Tires, wheels, and aero. The tires are worth about 2-seconds. The aero is worth 2-seconds—way in the back, less top speed, air damn in the front. The wheels are worth a second. Rotating mass, less unsprung weight and it’s also less flex. Aluminum wheel with actually bend a little more, a carbon wheel is very strong, so you don’t get the flex and you have the rotational mass is worth a full second at VIR."

Regulations in racing sanctioning bodies has a lot to do why you don't see them in racing.
So basically, give or take a bit, stock, we might be looking at around 5 seconds between the two.
Sure, you can do add ons and deletes to make the base car faster. Mod to oblivion if you like!

Sponsored

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
I wouldn't call that 10/10ths, however nice driving. I noticed your line varied a bit around Rolex turn 1 and 3 with no reason for each variation. I like to stay low in the banks..... you can pick up a little time there too. I couldn't sit and watch the whole thing but 2:06 are decent lap times. I'm right in that time bracket and I do not call myself a 10/10ths driver. I noticed you spend a lot of time with your right hand on the shifter and not on the wheel. I'm sure you know this, but my biggest concern at Daytona is when a tire delamination occurs. The guys who I have seen save the car from the wall are the ones with both hands planted on the wheel.

Anyway, I didn't know who you were (or are), but you and your driving certainly qualifies you to make the observations you did.

Nice job!
I should have stated I was not going 10/10ths in the video, Right around 8.5/10ths. This was hour I think 7 or 8 of the 14 hour enduro, so no reason to destroy the car. I went on to drop the time down to 2:04, on 275 Street tires (Hankook RS4)- https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4905214 Like you I also found that staying low on the bank would improve lap time but with lapped traffic and a pretty high speed differential I stayed up high and out of the way. You are defiantly right about both hands on the wheel, Bad habit I have But with our Aero the car is pretty planted at speed.

nc_oc=AQljxAOGA3_jd0OLXP-AbUv6BIpSD44V8qNF4JiEt34wKA06v2cFu77LXlrnJDYbvNs&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

As far as tire delam I actually cracked one of my wheels in about Hour 12, The nice thing with the street tires they are way stiffer than slicks so they can take a decent amount more abuse. We ran the entire 14 hours on the same 4 Tires ( other than the one that was changed.

I look forward to going to the Daytona December Audi/Mustang event, Hopefully I will have a GT500 by then and will Defiantly be bringing it if I do.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Automobile Magazine reported...

"Ford’s long-anticipated, upcoming Mustang Shelby GT500 produces maximum rear downforce of 550 pounds at 180 mph when equipped with the optional Mustang GT4–like rear wing that comes as part of the Carbon-Fiber Track Package. The downforce number is 379 pounds at the same speed from the Handling package’s smaller wing that features a Gurney flap (for context, the Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 produces a tad under 300 pounds of maximum downforce, the company says).
Source.
Hey for only $1.1 million more, spring for the GT MkII. 700 hp, 200 lbs lighter, 400 lbs more downforce than the race GT

https://www.motor1.com/news/358011/ford-gt-mk-ii-limited-edition-track-debut/amp/

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I should have stated I was not going 10/10ths in the video, Right around 8.5/10ths. This was hour I think 7 or 8 of the 14 hour enduro, so no reason to destroy the car. I went on to drop the time down to 2:04, on 275 Street tires (Hankook RS4)- https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4905214 Like you I also found that staying low on the bank would improve lap time but with lapped traffic and a pretty high speed differential I stayed up high and out of the way. You are defiantly right about both hands on the wheel, Bad habit I have But with our Aero the car is pretty planted at speed.

nc_oc=AQljxAOGA3_jd0OLXP-AbUv6BIpSD44V8qNF4JiEt34wKA06v2cFu77LXlrnJDYbvNs&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

As far as tire delam I actually cracked one of my wheels in about Hour 12, The nice thing with the street tires they are way stiffer than slicks so they can take a decent amount more abuse. We ran the entire 14 hours on the same 4 Tires ( other than the one that was changed.

I look forward to going to the Daytona December Audi/Mustang event, Hopefully I will have a GT500 by then and will Defiantly be bringing it if I do.
If my car gets built in time, then we should be the only two there with 500's. What group are you running in? I assume 1? I drove group 2 last year. I was lucky to have a very good student.

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
If my car gets built in time, then we should be the only two there with 500's. What group are you running in? I assume 1? I drove group 2 last year. I was lucky to have a very good student.
Not sure or signed up yet. I'll be in the most advance group since I have my Comp License.
Trying to decide between that event and the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Still a way aways.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
So basically, give or take a bit, stock, we might be looking at around 5 seconds between the two.
Sure, you can do add ons and deletes to make the base car faster. Mod to oblivion if you like!
You can relate the data of on track performance to the Carbon Fiber Package versus the other handling packages. This data was from the pre-2019 GT350 vs the GT350R, the gap has closed with the 2019 base 350 using a softer tire compound than before and aero updates, but that difference in track may translate over if you are comparing it to the GT500 packages. We won’t know the exact difference between the carbon fiber package vs other packages, but it shows the effectiveness of the track prepped car versus the non track prep cars in a road racing situation.

Modifications will help, but comparing a factory stock car vs another factory stock car, the carbon fiber package will benefit in different MagneRide calibrations for its wider grip, lighter wheels, and more downforce compared to the drag package cars.

Side note: I am a composites expert and carbon fiber is extremely durable. However, the choice to want them and to own them is personal. I have many friends, famous race car drivers, who have taken them off choosing to run aluminum, and it was a cost reason because of the price of a replacement if one did get damaged.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Not sure or signed up yet. I'll be in the most advance group since I have my Comp License.
Trying to decide between that event and the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Still a way aways.
group 1=pros, group 2=advanced/instructor, group 3=solo/intermediate, group 4=beginner/novice

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
I know.... Who would spend that kind of money on stripes?
:like:
Forgot to show sarcasm meter on! To be honest my dealer is small and will only get one base allocation, but I got it at MSRP, ftw.
Sponsored