Sponsored

Koni Active Shocks

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I installed these on my ‘16 non-pp GT Convertible auto with HRE 18” wheels with 20k miles. I don’t race or auto cross, just a weekend cruiser for two 40+ year olds. Prior to changing them out the things I didn’t care for with the oem shocks/struts was I felt like I was riding on the rear axle. I felt the majority of the bumps on the rear. The other was the bounce, for me it didn’t happen very often, but when it did it was bad. I hit a dip once and it felt like the weight completely came off the front wheels. And at high speeds hitting dips in the road the front was squirmy. I actually liked the floaty feel over uneven roads at normal speeds.

First I changed the rears, because they were available first and I didn’t want to waste $700 if I didn’t like them. I immediately felt like I was no longer riding on the rear axle and it reduced the sharpness when going over the sharp ridges in the road surface. I then started feeling the front more when going over bumps and asphalt patches, etc.

After replacing the front, the first test drive was very noticeable. The ride was flat, it that makes sense. Probably not near as much as true performance shocks/struts and springs. No more floaty or like the front end was gonna jump out of it coming out of a dip. It handled the small bumps, asphalt patches, and ridges better than the OE. If I had to put a number on it, I’d say 15-20% better. You still feel it, but just not as sharp. After driving it the last two days, probably 100 miles or so, it feels like it’s starting to settle in. The car doesn’t ride quite as flat as it did the first test drive. It has a little more give and rides fairly good.

The cons at this point is if you like the floaty feel of the OE especially on city streets with uneven concrete sections the actives ride different. Not necessarily rougher, but because they ride a little more stiffer you feel the car dropping down and up where as before it wasn’t as obvious. If you hate the floaty feel then it’s a pro.

If I had to guess, they’re some where between OE and performance. The actives do ride a tad stiffer to where you feel the ups and downs of the road more. This to me is where the OE rode better on uneven roads, but that’s it. The actives handle better especially at higher speeds. The actives are better on rougher roads with bumps, cracks, and ridges. I also no longer feel like I’m riding on the rear axle. They’re not gonna turn it into a caddilac, but they’ll give it a more flatter controlled ride and handle rough roads better.

I hope this helps and I hope I don’t mislead anyone in thinking they need or don’t need them. Just my review. Ultimately I’m happy with them.
5B2CD148-1083-4E81-A03F-94ACDCD7556A.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
This to me is where the oem’s rode better on uneven roads, but that’s it. The actives handle better especially at higher speeds. The actives are better on rougher roads with bumps, cracks, and ridges.
What's your distinction between uneven and rough road? You start by saying OEM rode better on uneven but then say Actives are better on bumps and cracks. These and the Steeda version are going to give a nice upgrade to the people looking to retain ride comfort while also improving control.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The actives do ride a tad stiffer to where you feel the ups and downs of the road more. This to me is where the oem’s rode better on uneven roads, but that’s it. The actives handle better especially at higher speeds. The actives are better on rougher roads with bumps, cracks, and ridges.
So, has more rebound damping than OE (not surprising since OE is very underdamped), and softer compression damping at high shaft rates.

OP
OP
JCFoster

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes....that’s with them being brand new. They seem to be softening up some on the rebound dampening (as you describe) as I’m getting more miles on them or I’m getting used to them and it’s not as noticeable.

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
Yes....that’s with them being brand new. They seem to be softening up some on the rebound dampening (as you describe) as I’m getting more miles on them or I’m getting used to them and it’s not as noticeable.
How long did it take for you to get yours after placing the order? I placed my order a week ago, and they are supposed to be shipping directly from Koni today. I just checked the JEGS web-site, it looks like the backorder is a couple of months now, so these are proving to be pretty popular.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you'll find the Jegs website have very outdated info. They were supposed to have been released over 6 months ago. The current/actual backorder is probably close to nil.

OP
OP
JCFoster

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they’re saying they’ll ship today, you’ll probably get the shipping info email later today or tomorrow. They’re website is now showing 08/12. For me, they shipped when they said they would, received them with in three days.

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received an email that my back order is now also 8/12. :-(

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We can help :)

Sponsored

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding was the Steeda Actives were valved more for handling and lowering springs. I'm running stock springs with BMR sway bars. I wanted to stick with Koni for a better ride (roads are terrible here in the NE). If you have the Koni actives, please let me know.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
If I had to guess, they’re some where between OE and performance. The actives do ride a tad stiffer to where you feel the ups and downs of the road more. This to me is where the OE rode better on uneven roads, but that’s it. The actives are better on rougher roads with bumps, cracks, and ridges.
This quote confused me (not that it's a hard thing to do these days) JCFoster. That overly stiff jar your teeth on every road imperfection feeling from the OE set-up is what I really dislike about my ride. I know nothing is going to make my GT ride like my wife's Mercedes E-350, but whichever gives it the best shot between the Koni's and the Steeda's at not making my wife cringe every time I say lets take the Mustang is what I plan on using. Just not sure right now which one that is and am not going to spend $700 until I am confident my choice is the correct one. I appreciate your input, but if you could clarify a bit about your comments above I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

OP
OP
JCFoster

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The uneven roads to me are the cement sections that are laid out in sections and as over time they have become uneven. Not bumpy, but high and low spots. With a plush suspension they’re not as obvious, but with a tighter or flatter suspension you feel it more. That’s what I felt more of with Actives than with the OE shocks. It’s not a big difference. Maybe some can put it in better words of explaining.

As for as the jarring bumps that your describing, like the sharp ridges in asphalt and rough asphalt patches is where the Actives do much better. From what I’ve read, the Steeda’s should perform the same. They absorb those bumps much better than the OE’s. Your still going to feel the bumps, but a lot less and softer from the rear axle especially. Then on the top end, you won’t have that bounce when hitting dips in the road.

If I lived closer to you, you’d be welcome to drive it. Or if your ever down this way.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The uneven roads to me are the cement sections that are laid out in sections and as over time they have become uneven. Not bumpy, but high and low spots.
Here's what I'm interpreting that as:
upload_2019-6-17_8-47-19.png

The expansion joint areas or separations between each "block" of cement (not as common down here) where the car jumps a bit then settles.

As for as the jarring bumps that your describing, like the sharp ridges in asphalt and rough asphalt patches
Compared to this (it's worse in person but only spot I could think of because I drive over it every single day) where it is up and down the whole time:
upload_2019-6-17_8-46-9.png