Gear ratios

Mohamad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fivepointoh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2015 convertible
I have a mustang 2015 gt convertible with 3.55 gear ratio and I want to upgrade to 3.73 gear ratio but is it worth it? First my aim goal
Is to go full NA with my car (headers, 2018 manifold ported, xpipe, injectors, suspension kit ect..) but I’m a street racer and I’m a big fan of roll outs races. Will changing my gear from 3.55 to 3.73 help with roll out races? Or gearing just helps from 0 (launch controls)?
Sponsored

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
You'll rev about 5% faster, should help as much from standing still as roll race.
I went 3.31 to 3.73 and I'm happy with the result but if I had a 3.55 I would probably have kept that.
IMO, your money is better spent elsewhere on the car since it looks like you have quite a few upgrade planned that I'd prefer to do before.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I can't imagine going from 3.55 to 3.73 will help much with drag racing, might even hurt you since you're shifting a little sooner. I love the 3.73 but I run tight road courses where short gearing is needed.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The 3.73 rear end on the PP cars is a Torsen LSD, which should also help your traction off the line. I'd be more interested in better traction than the slightly different gearing.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
The 3.73 rear end on the PP cars is a Torsen LSD, which should also help your traction off the line. I'd be more interested in better traction than the slightly different gearing.
Isn’t the Torsten NOT recommended for drag racing?

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Isn’t the Torsten NOT recommended for drag racing?
Well hell, I dunno. I just figured if it's got a brand-name, it must be better!!:cwl::cwl:

I'd like to here a knowledgeable answer to your question. Maybe the Torsen is more for cornering?

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
I have a mustang 2015 gt convertible with 3.55 gear ratio and I want to upgrade to 3.73 gear ratio but is it worth it? First my aim goal
Is to go full NA with my car (headers, 2018 manifold ported, xpipe, injectors, suspension kit ect..) but I’m a street racer and I’m a big fan of roll outs races. Will changing my gear from 3.55 to 3.73 help with roll out races? Or gearing just helps from 0 (launch controls)?
skip the bolts ons and rear swap and got save the $$$ for a hellion street sleeper TT kit.... That will help alot more for freeway roll races:D

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
If he's launching 1000hp car trying to get sub 1.5 second 60' it's probably not, for an NA car with street tires it's not an issue.
I’ve been nervous to dump my clutch to launch. Hope you’re right if I do lol.
Well hell, I dunno. I just figured if it's got a brand-name, it must be better!!:cwl::cwl:

I'd like to here a knowledgeable answer to your question. Maybe the Torsen is more for cornering?
Lol!

I enjoy mine in the corners.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been nervous to dump my clutch to launch. Hope you’re right if I do lol.

Lol!

I enjoy mine in the corners.
Same here! Ever since I discovered girls, curves are more fun than straight lines. :D

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Test drove several dealer cars with both 3.31 or 3.55's. Mine has 3.73. Not big on dead-stop launches, but it jumps hard on WOT rolls. IMO opinion with this engine, no regrets on 3.73's in the back.
Sponsored