Sponsored

Shifter vibration noise?

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone noticed that at a high rpm the leather around the shifter vibrates? Is there a simple fix?
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
It's probably the plastic collar that you pull up on to get into reverse. Haven't cared about it for a couple years now, but also wondering if there's an official fix for it yet.

Most prominent in 2nd gear, high rpm. To verify, just pull the collar a tad when you hear it rattling.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
The spring for reverse lockout has some felt on it to prevent rattles. It doesn't work very well, and many cars have the resonating rattle at high rpm. Super annoying - my car had it in the first week. There is a video on YouTube for how to correct it:

While the correction helped reduce the vibration, it still didn't completely go away. After 5 months of annoyance, I ultimately swapped the entire shifter assembly out for a MGW unit. All better now.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Cammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2001 F-150 Lightning
I was fine with the stock shifter until it started rattling in 2nd gear at high rpm and the usual fixes didn’t solve that problem.

Yesterday I finally got around to installing the MGW shifter I bought last year during Black Friday.

I was able to do this using my QuickJack, but having a floor jack under the car with me to support the transmission was a pain until I moved it far forward and supported the transmission closer to the bellhousing.

Anyway, don’t have many miles on the MGW, but it seems good although the stronger centering spring and push-to-engage-reverse will take some getting used to. Shifting is very precise.

Brian

Last edited:

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Anyway, don’t have many miles on the MGW, but it seems good although the stronger centering spring and push-to-engage-reverse will take some getting used to. Shifting is very precise.
You'll love it! Reverse is definitely different, requiring a very deliberate push - and you get used to putting a little shoulder into it. Gears 1-6 are spectacular. I love how I can bang through the gears without any slop. It is like a gated shifter, where the gate is hidden down inside the MGW mechanism.

What shift ball did you get? Mine is below. I also installed the non-SYNC surround.

fa72dcaf-86c4-4ee6-b039-d8952bd6d516-jpeg.jpg

Cammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2001 F-150 Lightning
I bought the stock shift knob adapter as I wanted to maintain the stock look and I actually like the stock knob.

Brian
Sponsored