Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You want the old school feel - there - you have it!
The issue for that argument is, the overwhelming vast majority sample the new school and go, "WOW, this blows away the old school stuff I had in the 60s, or 80s/90s!" And it does do that, subjectively AND objectively. The Gen 2 and 3 Coyote-powered Mustangs are way quicker than anything produced from those eras. Nobody but you cares about torque at 1000 rpm.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
This is true but at this stage of the game you have to work with what you have. And the 7.3 is an actual “in production” Ford engine! If the basics are there you can design a street legal version and put a price on it. Front heavy big blocks are the charm and character of the genre, so I don’t see this as a minus. You want the old school feel - there - you have it!
The problem then besides making it pass emissions is having it offer enough power to warrant being a viable option for people to choose. The 5.0 is capable of 480. the Voodoo can make 526.

Now having the engine make power isn't the problem it's having do it while passing emissions.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
A big block option for the Mustang would be popular! Don’t go by replies here. At the start anyone who remotely was interested was immediately pounced on and brow beaten into submission. Only those immune to peer pressure stood by their guns.
Like the Unicorns and Sasquatch telling Noah that it's not going to rain...

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
7500+ rpm for a production gas 7.3l would be suicide for Ford.
I highly doubt the 7.3 would fit under the hood of the Mustang. Not to mention the weight of the thing.
IF your end goal is to kill everything that makes the Mustang a great car, then by all means 7.3 her.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The heart wants what it wants...
Sounds about right. But neither Ford nor Chevy nor any other mfr is likely to produce what I'd like to drive either.

A big block option for the Mustang would be popular! Don’t go by replies here. At the start anyone who remotely was interested was immediately pounced on and brow beaten into submission. Only those immune to peer pressure stood by their guns.
Wouldn't any big-block Mustang end up competing against the ZL1 and some Hellcat iteration? If so, it'd have to have comparable performance, else it'd suffer being the slowest of the three by too big of a margin. I fear that the ability to burn rear tires down to the steel belts on command alone just wouldn't be enough. Not any more.

There probably are a few guy from back in the day who might want this specific combination. What I have to wonder is how many, given that the older I got the fewer of my contemporaries maintained any interest in "fun cars". Heh . . . perhaps all of us who bothered to join this forum are resistant to peer pressure.

Norm

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I don't agree here. 90+% of consumers don't buy based on size of the engine. They look at HP, torque, fuel economy, and performance numbers. Even with the small block, we are able to keep up with or beat the Camaro and its larger block engine. Large engines are slowly going away. Better get used to it.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-gm-engines-how-do-they-compare.40677/page-27

You mean large engines like the Coyote? Larger displacement does not equal larger block.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
And it appears the Troll has come back out from under the bridge...
Troll?

I've done nothing but stated facts that are very much valid reasons to swap out a Coyote in favor of the 7.3 Wolfe motor.
This forum is filled with complaints about the Coyote engine family.

7.3 is by far the better motor or else Ford would've used the Coyote instead.......

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
7.3 is by far the better motor or else Ford would've used the Coyote instead
Ford just realized that the peeps want truck engines in trucks. Not V-6 turbos or Mustang engines. Cubic inches, not PSI etc., etc.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ford just realized that the peeps want truck engines in trucks. Not V-6 turbos or Mustang engines. Cubic inches, not PSI etc., etc.
It's not even that. They needed a cheap, efficient replacement for the 6.8L V10 (and 6.2L SOHC) and certifying diesels is getting harder and harder. The 7.3 is that engine. Low power, broad torque curve, simple, cheap and durable. Great for a work vehicle. Crap for a sports coupe.

The only people drooling over this for prospect in the Mustang are: 1) delusional luddites with no clue how stuff works and can't accept reality and 2) people who don't understand basic math and geometry (because it doesn't fit).

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
7.3 is by far the better motor
For a Class 2 and heavier pick up or chassis cab truck? You betcha it's better than the Coyote.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would not be surprised to hear some Ford engineers have already put a 7.3 liter V8 prototype engine in a Mustang to benchmark against the Coyote powered Mustang for data gathering information. Remember when Ford engineers put a V10 in a Mustang. Ford does have engineers who still are pushrod enthusiasts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would not be surprised to hear some Ford engineers have already put a 7.3 liter V8 prototype engine in a Mustang to benchmark against the Coyote powered Mustang for data gathering information. Remember when Ford engineers put a V10 in a Mustang. Ford does have engineers who still are pushrod enthusiasts.
Yeah, no. Hasn't happened.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If he Ford engineers have not put a 7.3 liter V8 in a Mustang, they need to get moving on it. Since Ford is to produce fewer car models in the future , I suspect they will have to look for V8 truck engines for future V8 powered Mustangs . All engine options need to be examined.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

They “probably” already have (I added the “probably” after I finished editing this post - by the way). “They” could mean Ford proper, or one of its partners in production.

I was finally going to lower the boom on these guys twice tonight but hesitated and for the silliest of sentimental reasons. I may be tough but I have a few embarrassing weak spots and they hit it and acted appropriately. So I’m backing off and leaving them alone now. They actually wanted to help me on three separate occasions and that is enough for me. I was going through a rough patch in that place called “real life” and escaped to here when I started this thread, but that is sorted out now and I have to catch up on more important things. So yes, I should have done it but I just can’t! How funny is that...

So as The Beetles song said - let it be...

BTW: I did the Abbey Road walk thing in London and this truck driver passes by and yells at me: “Get a Life!” That’s what happened - that’s what happened...
Sponsored

Last edited: