Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Sounds about right. But neither Ford nor Chevy nor any other mfr is likely to produce what I'd like to drive either.

Wouldn't any big-block Mustang end up competing against the ZL1 and some Hellcat iteration? If so, it'd have to have comparable performance, else it'd suffer being the slowest of the three by too big of a margin. I fear that the ability to burn rear tires down to the steel belts on command alone just wouldn't be enough. Not any more.

There probably are a few guy from back in the day who might want this specific combination. What I have to wonder is how many, given that the older I got the fewer of my contemporaries maintained any interest in "fun cars". Heh . . . perhaps all of us who bothered to join this forum are resistant to peer pressure.

Norm
Yes and no. The Bullitt already makes 480. This engine in a mustang would have to make enough power for someone to consider it. Now if Ford could some how get it to pass emissions, it would still put a hurt in the CAFE ratings so despite the engine being a cheaper engine to produce I would have to bet whatever package it could come in would be quite expensive. Since the GT500 will compete against the Hellcat and ZL1 this would be a car in no mans land, an in between from the GT and GT500. The problem would be pricing it correctly.
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
7500+ rpm for a production gas 7.3l would be suicide for Ford.
I highly doubt the 7.3 would fit under the hood of the Mustang. Not to mention the weight of the thing.
IF your end goal is to kill everything that makes the Mustang a great car, then by all means 7.3 her.
With modern pushrod engines employing hydraulic roller lifters, you wouldn't be able to rev beyond 7000 reliably due to valve float. Ford would need to use solid rollers, which would require much more routine maintenance to inspect valve clearance between the rocker arm and pushrod. The general Mustang owner would have no interest in performing such maintenance.

While I haven't seen the new 7.3 side by side with the 5.0 coyote, the coyote motor is physically huge. Pushrod motors tend to be physically smaller than their OHC counterparts of the same displacement. So, the Mustang should have plenty of space to fit the engine under the stock hood (unless the intake manifold is super tall), but you are correct in that the iron block would alter the handling characteristics of the car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
With modern pushrod engines employing hydraulic roller lifters, you wouldn't be able to rev beyond 7000 reliably due to valve float. Ford would need to use solid rollers, which would require much more routine maintenance to inspect valve clearance between the rocker arm and pushrod. The general Mustang owner would have no interest in performing such maintenance.

While I haven't seen the new 7.3 side by side with the 5.0 coyote, the coyote motor is physically huge. Pushrod motors tend to be physically smaller than their OHC counterparts of the same displacement. So, the Mustang should have plenty of space to fit the engine under the stock hood (unless the intake manifold is super tall), but you are correct in that the iron block would alter the handling characteristics of the car.
While the 7.3 may be narrower and likely shorter, it's significantly longer than the Coyote. Doesn't fit.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
While the 7.3 may be narrower and likely shorter, it's significantly longer than the Coyote. Doesn't fit.
Longer yeah. With 4.22" bores the cylinder spacing will be significantly larger than the 5.0 Coyote. I think the 4.00" stroke will add some deck height as well. Combine that with the already lowered hood line.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Stroke on the 7.3 is only 1/3" longer (3.65" vs 4"). Also how much longer would the engine be with a .6" increase in bore size (4.22" vs 3.6")? I'm thinking it would largely depend on bore spacing, rather than bore size.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Looks like the Australians are up to their wacky way.......
Several are planning Barra 6 swaps of Falcon fame.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The Coyote taught me to not be as brand bias.
After talking to the Mopar camp on Yellow Bullet.....
Demon/Red Eye motor would be awesome for a S550 build.

Seems to be plenty of swap options other than a ls.
Many come from Ford while some don't.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Test:

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2233266#/topics/2233266?page=1

Edit: Seems to work just fine for me.

PS: Now that we know you can link there, waiting on you to post a link to barra swaps into s550 bodies.

PS: Fatguy still waiting on proof that banks is working on a 7.3 turbo kit.

Ok, as per my previous post: This does make it interesting in a non-automotive way. Normally I would say this is a cheap shot but there also seems to be a guy called Mike there - that wouldn’t be you would it? Because I know nothing of this board but the last post was June 19, 2017. So you sure knew where to go for that thread.

I don’t care one way or another, but I always wondered why he seemed to wind you up with rather innocuous stuff. Whatever, if it’s some weird bromance between you guys, far be it for me to get involved...

BTW Guys. The biggest fit problem for the 7.3 is the oil pan and integral pickup!

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
...but is it at all possible that the guys there would cobble together a “Frankenstein” 7.3 Mustang and mess around with it?
This will get you going for a few more pages ... listen to what he says about engineers messing around on their own time with an engine swap to develop the 2020 High Performance 4-cyl Mustang.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This will get you going for a few more pages ... listen to what he says about engineers messing around on their own time with an engine swap to develop the 2020 High Performance 4-cyl Mustang.

What I took from the video?

Stangmode is losing his hair. An obvious staged promo piece. Ford is using the Youtube stars as part of their merchandizing now. Even giving them new cars when they get piston slap so the scoring issue does not get press.

But I digress...

So it is true that Ford is cool with unauthorized engine mods by employees so long as they do it on their own time - Check...

If it has potential they will push it to production even if it is small time production - Check...

So test mules of the 7.3 “are” a possibility in other words...

At this stage I don’t care. You personally gave me ideas if Ford can’t satisfy the urge. Look, as much as this convo is interesting, I did it to deflect from some serious issues in my personal life with one of my gang. Looks like that person will live, so I don’t have to escape to this place to keep my sanity. Want to know what we were just talking about a few minutes ago? What to do if Julian Assange asks me to validate him as a journalist. Then back to this absolute tripe that means nothing in the end...

It was fun but - Pleeeeese...

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Someone had to be a pioneer and start a thread about swapping a 7.3 liter V8 into a Mustang. Engine swapping is the foundation of Hot Rodding. The 7.3 liter V8 has great potential for producing good power. There will be many reasons why Hot Rodders will be attracted to the 7.3 liter V8. Years from now this thread will be respected by many as a birthplace for the pros and cons of the possibility of 7.3 liter V8 engine swaps.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Someone had to be a pioneer and start a thread about swapping a 7.3 liter V8 into a Mustang. Engine swapping is the foundation of Hot Rodding. The 7.3 liter V8 has great potential for producing good power. There will be many reasons why Hot Rodders will be attracted to the 7.3 liter V8. Years from now this thread will be respected by many as a birthplace for the pros and cons of the possibility of 7.3 liter V8 engine swaps.

Sponsored