Exhaust tip flaking, anyone else?

pht9vf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
paddytee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Man this is disappointing to hear. I have 2,600 miles on mine and no flaking or grey (yet). Car has been in storage since October though.

I'm extremely positive that I saw a video of a '19 bullitt owner re-doing the powder coating/paint on his exhaust tips. I think he wanted to paint the entire exhaust black vs just having the tips black. I spent the past 30mins trying to find it but no luck. After the guy re-did them you could tell they were a much darker matte black than before if I remember correctly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Looking at the other one showing in that picture, it looks like it's starting to flake at the rim as well. Is that just dirt then maybe? Also doesn't look like it has clamps from this angle.
It's just dirt on the other one I think. Once it started flaking I quit messing with them to prevent them from getting worse.

Mine have definitely turned grey at about 2,200 miles. Dang.

Edit: This actually has me bummed-out a little. Anybody know if this could be a warranty issue? Chrome or black is good, but chalky grey ain't.
It should definitely be covered under warranty I'd think. My friend is a Ford tech and he's reported it to them and is waiting to hear back on what they say.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Mine are still black. If they fade or flake (which Im sure they will eventually), Ill just paint them with high temp black paint. pretty easy fix... if they were chrome and flaking it'd be another story.

pht9vf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
paddytee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mine are still black. If they fade or flake (which Im sure they will eventually), Ill just paint them with high temp black paint. pretty easy fix... if they were chrome and flaking it'd be another story.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure you have to take off the entire exhaust because the tips are welded on. That was the point of the video that I can’t find where the guy has to take off the entire exhaust just to paint. Seems like a huge pain in the ass so if it happens to mine and warranty won’t cover....it might be the perfect time for a new exhaust kit

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Here's what I am seeing on mine. For those suggesting that an aftermarket exhaust would be good, that would be deleting a feature that is specific to this car. The sound is different than the GT. As also mentioned, the mufflers are connected and part of a single component all the way to and including the resonator. Also, cutting tips and putting new ones on would disrupt the aesthetic because the weld point would be uncolored.

The NitroPlate finish issue I think would most suitably be resolved with entire replacement of the muffler, but that will involve cutting on the input side too.

Let us know what they say, Matt.
20190416_162705.jpg
20190416_162730.jpg

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have a lot of garage storage space. I'm tempted to fill it with a spare stock exhaust, seat covers, deck lid and other misc Bullitt specific parts so in 10yrs I can put them all on and feel like a new car again, or make mad bank on the NOS market.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Mine are not flaking and still black.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a lot of garage storage space. I'm tempted to fill it with a spare stock exhaust, seat covers, deck lid and other misc Bullitt specific parts so in 10yrs I can put them all on and feel like a new car again, or make mad bank on the NOS market.
That has happened with the other 2 Bullitt models :) The exhaust on all three of them have specific engineering that's worth preserving, in my opinion.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That has happened with the other 2 Bullitt models :) The exhaust on all three of them have specific engineering that's worth preserving, in my opinion.
I still have 2003 Mach1 mufflers in my garage, no one has bought them from me in over 12yrs lol Not a lot of people looking for OEM exhaust pieces.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
So far I have 3200 miles and I am not seeing any issues.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still have 2003 Mach1 mufflers in my garage, no one has bought them from me in over 12yrs lol Not a lot of people looking for OEM exhaust pieces.
I sold mine for my previous '03 Mach 1 after 8 years. It is my opinion, particularly on the Bullitts, the exhaust is something that some people might want because of what was done for sound differences.

The plated tips are just one more little thing for this one.

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Those parts would be a little easier to reproduce. What I wanna do if I have the money eventually is buy a backup set of digital gauges and Sync3 system. The electronics are what's gonna make these cars a pain to restore in 30 years.

Also, haven't heard anything new from my Ford tech friend yet.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Those parts would be a little easier to reproduce. What I wanna do if I have the money eventually is buy a backup set of digital gauges and Sync3 system. The electronics are what's gonna make these cars a pain to restore in 30 years.

Also, haven't heard anything new from my Ford tech friend yet.
Oh definately. I've already been wondering how long it will take the LCD to get burn in. Most barely last more than 5yrs, I can't imagine what these will be like in 15-20.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I suspect the Sync 3 will be an easier upgrade, but the digital dash is more unique to the car. Something to think about and look at getting a spare in a few years.
Sponsored