Exhaust tip flaking, anyone else?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Any other 2019 Bullitts notice their black exhaust tip coating (Nitro-plate) flaking off? Car has 4,300 miles. I'll take it in for service when I have time next month, must have just got a bad exhaust tip. No biggie though, still love the car. I heard a few Raptors had this issue too.
exhaust flake thumb.jpg
Sponsored

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Any other 2019 Bullitts notice their black exhaust tip coating (Nitro-plate) flaking off? Car has 4,300 miles. I'll take it in for service when I have time next month, must have just got a bad exhaust tip. No biggie though, still love the car. I heard a few Raptors had this issue too.
exhaust flake thumb.jpg
Gonna have too look at mine!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
exhaust flake thumb.jpg
No flaking on mine at ~2,200 miles, but they've turned grey; weren't they black when new?

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Might as well just go to the Ford Chrome ones... no issues there!! I’m thinking I might..just for shits n giggles! Besides, I like Bling!!!! Hhhhhhmmm...should I ??? Ya, what the hell!! Thanx Mat for the heats up!!

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
If the tips themselves are changeable, buy a spare set.
They're not changeable.

Matt, is it possible the guys applied ceramic coating to the tips and this has turned them gray and flakey?

Mine are still jet black at 5000km.

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
No flaking on mine at ~2,200 miles, but they've turned grey; weren't they black when new?
Yeah, the inner one is how it's supposed to look. Only the one is flaking.

They're not changeable.

Matt, is it possible the guys applied ceramic coating to the tips and this has turned them gray and flakey?

I don't think so, because the other 3 are fine. I thought I read somewhere that the tips are removable. Swapping the whole muffler isn't ideal to me, but if that's what needs to be done it's still not too big a deal.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the inner one is how it's supposed to look. Only the one is flaking.
Looking at the other one showing in that picture, it looks like it's starting to flake at the rim as well. Is that just dirt then maybe? Also doesn't look like it has clamps from this angle.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Well I only have 1,800 miles on mine, but they are still jet black.

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
They're not changeable.

Mine have definitely turned grey at about 2,200 miles. Dang.

Edit: This actually has me bummed-out a little. Anybody know if this could be a warranty issue? Chrome or black is good, but chalky grey ain't.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd think flaking would definitely qualify, but for the color being off, have you polished the tips at all? Chalky grey just sounds dirty to me.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I'd think flaking would definitely qualify, but for the color being off, have you polished the tips at all? Chalky grey just sounds dirty to me.
I wiped them down with water; they turned light black, until they dried. They're about the same color as Matt's, but not flaking (yet). I think they were supposed to be powder coated, but maybe Ford cheaped out and started painting them after they'd built a few; my car is K2937.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Mine have also lightened up to a grey color. I also have a spot missing on the inside of the leftmost tip. When I go to the dealership next, i do plan to report this as an issue.
Sponsored