Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
Lmao. Are you saying you can’t fordged parts for performance cars from recycled metals?
I don't know, it sounds like the metal would be crap... Like I said I am not a metallurgist nor have I ever worked in the steel industry
all I know is from my Gun Smithing knowledge i.e. (Bluing, is an acid solution to basicly rust the steel creating a black/blue color stable coating of black oxide Fe3O4. / Parkerizing, is the oposite by adding Zinc, Chromium Iron and Manganese‎ bath applies an anti-corrosion and lubricating phosphatized surface treatment to steel parts.)

From the text below it sounds like recycled steel has specific uses:

In the EAF process, the raw material is almost entirely scrap steel. High-powered electric arcs quickly melt the material down to liquid crude steel, after which it is refined further in secondary steelmaking processes. Much of the steel used in construction, such as reinforcement bars, steel plates, and structural beams, is made through the EAF process, since the end result produced is incredibly strong.

The BOF process, on the other hand, uses only about 30% recovered steel at most. Here, molten iron is combined with pure oxygen to blow out impurities. The steel produced by this method is used to make industrial drums, pails, cans, refrigerator encasements, and automobile fenders.

I would think that the BOF Process would be used to create better steel parts with cleaner ore, metal mixtures?

Last edited:

Carsnkicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Sorry been so long since my update. So, I had my motor replaced and 2k miles later, snapped a tensioner chain on the way to work.

Long story short, initiated a buyback and got the offer today. I could maybe go back and forth, but after driving the car a better part of a year I am out <4k. And maybe I am a fool or just karma aware, I loved the car and 4k was worth every minute. I chalk it up as a risk I took buying a perfromance vehicle. Sure, it is a fairly pricey car but I didnt expect it to have super reliability, even if I had spent more coin. I understand that others are different, but this wasn’t a 60k lexus, it was a specialty car and a bargain, IMHO, at that price. I had originally wanted a 981 Cayman/Cayman S and that is what I will likely end up w. Wofe at the time pressured for a 4 seater, but with other vehicles in the house and the hellcat then Shelby issues that has been put to rest Only kicker is now the 981 Cayman sells fairly quick, esp the S, so I will need to be on the hunt. Would love to pony up for a GT4 but likely will go base or S. I am not sour, except I will truly miss the car. I think a lot of this came down to bad luck, but not something I am comfortable owning long term anymore. The offer was fair and I will move on.

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
I am sorry to hear this, I had no thoughts to have them do a buy back, I am not really sure if they would, since they replaced the motor in record time, paid my loaner and installed a "R" motor. I really have no complaints ...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Sorry been so long since my update. So, I had my motor replaced and 2k miles later, snapped a tensioner chain on the way to work.

Long story short, initiated a buyback and got the offer today. I could maybe go back and forth, but after driving the car a better part of a year I am out <4k. And maybe I am a fool or just karma aware, I loved the car and 4k was worth every minute. I chalk it up as a risk I took buying a perfromance vehicle. Sure, it is a fairly pricey car but I didnt expect it to have super reliability, even if I had spent more coin. I understand that others are different, but this wasn’t a 60k lexus, it was a specialty car and a bargain, IMHO, at that price. I had originally wanted a 981 Cayman/Cayman S and that is what I will likely end up w. Wofe at the time pressured for a 4 seater, but with other vehicles in the house and the hellcat then Shelby issues that has been put to rest Only kicker is now the 981 Cayman sells fairly quick, esp the S, so I will need to be on the hunt. Would love to pony up for a GT4 but likely will go base or S. I am not sour, except I will truly miss the car. I think a lot of this came down to bad luck, but not something I am comfortable owning long term anymore. The offer was fair and I will move on.
Class act my friend. I too had engine troubles with my first 350 that I had for 8k miles. I also initiated and won a buyback. Silly me I then bought an R. It now has 13k miles and about half of that in track. Really is bad luck.

Enjoy the 718 and wish you better car luck.

Harold.

Carsnkicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Class act my friend. I too had engine troubles with my first 350 that I had for 8k miles. I also initiated and won a buyback. Silly me I then bought an R. It now has 13k miles and about half of that in track. Really is bad luck.

Enjoy the 718 and wish you better car luck.

Harold.
Thanks brother! Oh no, no 718. I need that flat 6 . Only salt is I wanted to buy one last year, and a 981s was readily available. Now it will involve a hunt, or I will go base. Thanks though! I had some bad luck but it is what it is. The 350 is an AMAZING car! Loved it fully, just still have kids and I cant risk the long term that I had i tended.

Carsnkicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am sorry to hear this, I had no thoughts to have them do a buy back, I am not really sure if they would, since they replaced the motor in record time, paid my loaner and installed a "R" motor. I really have no complaints ...
Had one motor replaced, no thoughts of a buy back. After 2k miles and another motor, had to be “responsible”. Def not salty, the car is still an amazing car and loved every minute of ownership minus the problems.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I got a R replacement motor too!

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
I know many of you may be more familiar with this but consuming 1 qt per 500 miles is normal for now I'm assuming? I see many of you guys have got a replacement once it drops to around 1qt per 100~300 miles. I've just got my car back from the dealership for the 2nd time. 1st time was because my car was making weird whinning noises upon start up and driving, almost as if I have a small whipple under the hood... Told me that I had 3 quarts left of oil after ~3500 miles ( 1 qt per 500 mile ). After this first visit, the dealer advised me to come back after 1250 mile but when I did, the master tech was on vacation and will not be back for another month. Drove the vehicle for around 570~ miles more and brought it back to the dealer after driving around 1850 miles and told me same thing, I have 7 Qts left and insisted that I put 3 more qts and that Ford said this is normal for high revving performance engines. I know it is not an apple to apple comparsion but when I've had my M4, I've had the same issue at around ~500 miles I needed a quart of oil and I've had the engine replaced with no hassle. Is this really normal for these cars? Or are they trying to drag my warranty so they don't have to cover it?

Attachments

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Ford says that 1 quart per 500 miles is the limit. I suggest you ask them to do an oil consumption test after another 1000 miles or so. If it’s burnig that now it’s going to get worse as time goes on. If you ran it down to having only 3 quarts left when you took it in, your motor is toast just ready to die. Having 3 when it’s supposed to have 10, means it’s been ruined. I’m surprised it’s not blown up yet. I’d not be driving it far distances or to places out of cell coverage. When it finally blows you don’t want to be stuck. Cause it’s going to.

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
I’ve already done that and fords conclusion was that it’s normal. You can see a few documents that I’ve picked up from the dealership.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I know many of you may be more familiar with this but consuming 1 qt per 500 miles is normal for now I'm assuming? I see many of you guys have got a replacement once it drops to around 1qt per 100~300 miles. I've just got my car back from the dealership for the 2nd time. 1st time was because my car was making weird whinning noises upon start up and driving, almost as if I have a small whipple under the hood... Told me that I had 3 quarts left of oil after ~3500 miles ( 1 qt per 500 mile ). After this first visit, the dealer advised me to come back after 1250 mile but when I did, the master tech was on vacation and will not be back for another month. Drove the vehicle for around 570~ miles more and brought it back to the dealer after driving around 1850 miles and told me same thing, I have 7 Qts left and insisted that I put 3 more qts and that Ford said this is normal for high revving performance engines. I know it is not an apple to apple comparsion but when I've had my M4, I've had the same issue at around ~500 miles I needed a quart of oil and I've had the engine replaced with no hassle. Is this really normal for these cars? Or are they trying to drag my warranty so they don't have to cover it?
That attachment is a great advertisement for not installing a catch can

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
Ford says that 1 quart per 500 miles is the limit. I suggest you ask them to do an oil consumption test after another 1000 miles or so. If it’s burnig that now it’s going to get worse as time goes on. If you ran it down to having only 3 quarts left when you took it in, your motor is toast just ready to die. Having 3 when it’s supposed to have 10, means it’s been ruined. I’m surprised it’s not blown up yet. I’d not be driving it far distances or to places out of cell coverage. When it finally blows you don’t want to be stuck. Cause it’s going to.
So how do you suggest I’d fight this? I’m not very knowledgeable with cars so I didn’t know 3qts out of 10qts will damage the engine that bad..... now I’m scared