Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Meanwhile, The Aftermarket is ready to pounce on this engine.

Far more interest in this "Truck" motor than the GT500.
Doesn't matter what media outlet you use.
Agreed. Lots of people love large displacement engines. And simplicity is a huge advantage for the aftermarket.

Another cam, timing chains, more expensive heads for said cams. More expensive valve covers. The individual cam cost would be minimal difference as it's a bit more machining time for the 7.3 cam, but the billet blank would be the same. It definitely is nowhere near as much of a difference as having two cams. Pushrods aren't expensive. It all adds up quite a bit. The 7.3 is definitely a cheaper engine by a good amount. It hits a performance, cost and fuel economy point for a Class 2-3 truck quite nicely, and is much cheaper and easier to certify than a diesel that would ideally slot between the 6.2 and 6.7 Powerstroke.
There are a lot of advantages to simpler construction. Forced induction, direct injection, DOHC - all work great, but I don't think that something is necessarily good just because it's more complicated and expensive to produce and maintain.

Now I love DOHC engines and I love the way Ford is able to get great power through the entire RPM range using the TiVCT system. I wouldn't change any of that. In my opinion it's proven and reliable technology with a lot of advantages and not many disadvantages. But I would prefer more cubes over going to forced induction or direct injection. I'm a tech guy and I love the stuff, but I don't think necessarily going to more and more complex automotive systems is best for Ford or their customers.

Good comparison. Seems the blue line is the mustang, and if that's the case, it actually has MORE low end than the pushrod V8, which is interesting to me
TiVCT, baby.

Displacement = Torque
Gearing = torque at the rear wheels where you need it. Now that transmissions have so many gears, engine torque is less crucial. You don't have to sacrifice your cruising gear to get a great setup for launching the car.

Great thread. Love it.
Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
jake_zx2 said:
Good comparison. Seems the blue line is the mustang, and if that's the case, it actually has MORE low end than the pushrod V8, which is interesting to me
TiVCT, baby.
Again.. LT1 dyno graph. I like how you think it's the Coyote, though :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Again.. LT1 dyno graph. I like how you think it's the Coyote, though :)
I kind of assumed that a company specializing in GM engines might not display the best Ford results. Why did you post something with two pushrod engines instead of pushrod versus DOHC? Was it an off topic post or something?

I guess I misread the dyno graph. But Ford engines definitely have an advantage over the current GM offerings as far as power/displacement. Not that it matters unless Ford decides to produce some engines with more displacement, though.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just gonna leave this here:

That video has already been posted in this thread. Couple things about that guy:
-He has a real douchey way of expressing himself at times
-He should really wear a bra or a looser shirt to hide the man boobs.

I agree I don't want this engine in the Mustang - as I've said before. But I do think there are a lot of people who are going to want this engine in their pickups. Heck, my F-250 I use to clear my driveway is an old fleet vehicle with the V10. I didn't need the V10 but I wanted it.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
This is silly. They use pushrods because and ONLY because the rule book requires it. If the rule book allowed dohc and 4 v, you’d see every team switch over the next day, guaranteed. And if you think that a nascar engine would live on the street for any realistic usable life, you’re dead wrong.
My point being "has pushrods" is a horrible way to choose an engine.

besides, torque is a product of the expansion ratio of combustion, piston head area, and rod:stroke ratio.
Like I've said before... if somebody wants low RPM torque, steam is not a bad way to go.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Agreed. Lots of people love large displacement engines. And simplicity is a huge advantage for the aftermarket.

There are a lot of advantages to simpler construction. Forced induction, direct injection, DOHC - all work great, but I don't think that something is necessarily good just because it's more complicated and expensive to produce and maintain.

Now I love DOHC engines and I love the way Ford is able to get great power through the entire RPM range using the TiVCT system. I wouldn't change any of that. In my opinion it's proven and reliable technology with a lot of advantages and not many disadvantages. But I would prefer more cubes over going to forced induction or direct injection. I'm a tech guy and I love the stuff, but I don't think necessarily going to more and more complex automotive systems is best for Ford or their customers.

TiVCT, baby.

Gearing = torque at the rear wheels where you need it. Now that transmissions have so many gears, engine torque is less crucial. You don't have to sacrifice your cruising gear to get a great setup for launching the car.

Great thread. Love it.
No replacement for displacement......Golden Rule.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Do you not remember the 80’s, when ford’s smaller motor kicked the crap out of anything Chevy or Pontiac came out with, even though ford had a displacement disadvantage? I was a Chevy guy back then and the smaller ford’s drove me nutso.

It wasn’t until 1993 that gm even had half a chance...
I also remember that it took the stripper LX notch back to make this true.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I kind of assumed that a company specializing in GM engines might not display the best Ford results. Why did you post something with two pushrod engines instead of pushrod versus DOHC? Was it an off topic post or something?

I guess I misread the dyno graph. But Ford engines definitely have an advantage over the current GM offerings as far as power/displacement. Not that it matters unless Ford decides to produce some engines with more displacement, though.
It’s not a GM / Ford thing it’s an OHV / OHC thing. At the same displacement, OHC engines are s’posed to have more specific output (hp/l). A good OHV will do about 65 - 70 hp/l. A good DOHC will do about 85 - 90. A boosted DOHC will do about 100 - 120, with extreme examples doing 175 - 200. The LT1 is at 74 hp/l. Slightly above the expectations for an OHV. Coyote is at 96 hp/l. Also slightly above expectations for an OHC. The Blackwing is at 130. Slightly above expectations for a boosted DOHC. Then there’s the Mercedes-Benz M133 2.0T pumping out 178 hp/l.

OHV engines tend to have bigger displacement because there are basically three ways to move more air....make the holes bigger (OHV)....move the pistons and valves faster (OHC)....push the air harder (Turbo and/or SC)

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase

It was the quickest one to grab that had a stock LT1 on it. Same engine, just intake manifold / TB swap on the blue line run. Not many dyno charts out there with different engines overlaid.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I also remember that it took the stripper LX notch back to make this true.
I remember plenty of T5 GT's walking away from 350 TPI Camaros.... If you handicapped the Ford enough in the heaviest offering and with an AOD and 2.73 gear, the larger displacement F-body finally had a chance.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I remember plenty of T5 GT's walking away from 350 TPI Camaros.... If you handicapped the Ford enough in the heaviest offering and with an AOD and 2.73 gear, the larger displacement F-body finally had a chance.

I’m from that era and to be fair the early GM injectors sucked as they eventually clogged up reducing power. You would have to professionally clean them to get back power but they would just clog up again. This is one reason.

The Ford injectors were better designed and self-cleaning so we always had all the power available all the time.