Sponsored

Bullitt vs. GT Exhaust: Really A Difference??

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
When it's noise cancellation of the bad frequencies I'm not so sure we'd actually be able to hear anything coming from the speakers with the human ear.

Most people seem to assume that it's fake engine noise being ADDED, but most times I'd guess it's the bad engine noises being REMOVED and thereby leaving the pure & good engine sounds to shine through.
The EcoBoost has Active Noise Cancellation (IIRC, ACM 727-01-02, removal of unwanted frequencies) active to remove drone caused by harmonics from the 4 cylinder engine. The EcoBoost, Bullitt, and GT350 all have Engine Sound Enhancement (IIRC, ACM 727-01-01, addition of desired tones) active. The GT has neither, instead getting the sound tube ported through the firewall.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
There's a direct comparison of the two exhausts here at the 11:30 mark. Thanks to another Bullitt owner for showing me this video:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a direct comparison of the two exhausts here at the 11:30 mark. Thanks to another Bullitt owner for showing me this video:
Back up to around the 7:00 - 8:00 minute range. It does not appear that the GT has Active Exhaust.

So, yeah, if you compare a Bullitt to a GT without Active Exhaust, the systems are different. If you compare a Bullitt to a GT with Active Exhaust, the only difference from the engine back is the color of the exhaust tips.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Back up to around the 7:00 - 8:00 minute range. It does not appear that the GT has Active Exhaust.

So, yeah, if you compare a Bullitt to a GT without Active Exhaust, the systems are different. If you compare a Bullitt to a GT with Active Exhaust, the only difference from the engine back is the color of the exhaust tips.
Ah good catch, never mind.

10Fore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Taurus SHO | 01 Bullitt (sold) | 97 Cobra (sold) | 08 Bullitt (sold)
As a means to put the sound issue to bed, so long as the group wants, I can setup a direct comparison between a Bullitt and a GT with active exhaust. I can have a video up by the end of next week.

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....Starting at 6:46:
  • The hardware is different because we've got a different plating on it and big changes with the algorithm and the sound of the car changes quite a bit with the open air intake and the intake manifold. The intake manifold has a different flow through it so it gives it a different sound in the front and then the open air intake, you hear a lot more of that than you do with the closed box. So, the character of the sound changes quite a bit when you get in it versus the 18.

So, if you want to take Mr. Widmann's comments as definitive, it appears that:
  1. the only difference in the Bullitt exhaust versus that of a GT with Active Exhaust is that the exhaust tips have a different plating on them; and
  2. the Bullitt does have sound enhancement and/or noise cancellation (as he does not specify as to what the "big changes" made to the algorithm actually encompassed).
I believe the changes to the "algorithm" Carl is referring to are the ones made to the ECU software to incorporate the GT350 intake components. More air, more fuel, different mapping. Not changes involving piped sound enhancement.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the changes to the "algorithm" Carl is referring to are the ones made to the ECU software to incorporate the GT350 intake components. More air, more fuel, different mapping. Not changes involving piped sound enhancement.
Perhaps. Then again it was in direct response to a question about the sound of the car.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a means to put the sound issue to bed, so long as the group wants, I can setup a direct comparison between a Bullitt and a GT with active exhaust. I can have a video up by the end of next week.
There's no argument that they sound different. It's explicitly stated by Mr. Widmann that the differences in the intake effect the sound of the car. But, for that matter, every car has a "unique" sound, as all the different Mustang models sound different from one another. EcoBoost stock <> EcoBoost AE <> GT stock <> GT AE <> Bullitt <> GT350. Four of them also use sound enhancement within the car, and the other two use a sound tube with a diaphragm through the firewall.

The question is if there's a difference in the exhaust system. And, except for the color of the tips, there's no difference between a GT with AE and a Bullitt.

10Fore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Taurus SHO | 01 Bullitt (sold) | 97 Cobra (sold) | 08 Bullitt (sold)
There's no argument that they sound different. It's explicitly stated by Mr. Widmann that the differences in the intake effect the sound of the car. But, for that matter, every car has a "unique" sound, as all the different Mustang models sound different from one another. EcoBoost stock <> EcoBoost AE <> GT stock <> GT AE <> Bullitt <> GT350. Four of them also use sound enhancement within the car, and the other two use a sound tube with a diaphragm through the firewall.

The question is if there's a difference in the exhaust system. And, except for the color of the tips, there's no difference between a GT with AE and a Bullitt.
I simply offered to make a video. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Back at the launch about a year ago people were asking the chief engineer about this. I believe he said the muffler setup is the same and that it was the GT350 intake components that gave it it's unique sound. But then I also heard somewhere that the exhaust was different. It's still a mystery to me, but they 100% have a different sound from a regular GT. I've driven a 2018 GT with the Active Exhaust for a couple hours and the sound is distinctly different. The Bullitt sounds cooler :)

X2

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Bullitt's exhaust sounds are different than the GT...

There is no mistaking it. What people are discussion is why..? (or what is causing the distinction between the two cars.)

Soco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
19 DHG Bullitt, 15 F-150 3.5l EB
I put an h pipe on mine and honestly it just sounds better than it did before whether it's just the intake setup or what but even without the resonator it doesn't sound the same as the 18-19 5.0s.

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
Anyone notice on the axle back section of our Bullitt pipes is a sticker that says BUL on it. That could possibly be the mufflers (attached to the pipes w sticker) are different.
Thoughts?
I was under cutting out the suitcase and installed the new Borla X pipe which has an X and 2 straights in the section. HUGE change very deep and nice increase in volume. Now its sounds perfect

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone notice on the axle back section of our Bullitt pipes is a sticker that says BUL on it. That could possibly be the mufflers (attached to the pipes w sticker) are different.
Thoughts?
Could be, but it doesn't seem likely.

If you go to fordparts.com, enter VIN 1FA6P8K08K5501814 (which is a 2019 Bullitt), and drill down to the center / rear muffler assembly, you get this : https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/mufflers/muffler-assy-centre-and-rear-6512931-1

If you enter VIN 1FA6P8CF2K5156797 (a 2019 GT with Active Exhaust), you get this: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/mufflers/muffler-assy-centre-and-rear-6512931-1#sectionId:4121382

Which, as you can see, are the same page.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Guess I should've been more clear in my OP. First and foremost is whether the Bullitt really sounds different than a GT with active exhaust. It's much less important why they sound different. Especially since it hasn't been proven they do. And it would have to an obvious difference. Not a slight and debatable difference.
Sponsored