Sponsored

Does the Bullitt really need a catch can without tracking?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, wondering if it's really necessary to add that expensive 'mod' to our cars without any tracking. My car's PCV valve is making a rattling noise, meaning it's defective. My departed 2018 F-150 Platinum (3.5EB) had the same PCV as the Bullitt, and it started rattling at 12K miles. Replaced it, and silent again. So it might be allowing more oil than normal into the intake. Removed the hose, inserted a finger, and it was oily inside, with about 300 miles on the clock. The one on the driver's side was basically dry; just minimal oily feel, but no oil, like on the other.

If there's a need for one, I want it to look OEM. Found 2 choices (the 3rd is for the .

1. The Ford Performance one, but it has to be the M-6766-A50A (the A50 doesn't fit 2019s). And my car has a harness the Ford installation sheet doesn't show, so not sure if it'd fit or not. The hose doesn't fit perfectly either, because the GT350 intake has the inlet at a different angle and it's deeper inside, so you have to stress that hose quite a bit. Plus the reservoir is very small; Ford doesn't even mention how many ounces it holds, but I'd say 1. Cheapest price I found is $160 here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...ibanner=SREPD2 . And here are the Ford instructions: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6766-A50A.PDF . There's one for the GT350 driver's side too, but it wouldn't fit our cars anyway: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6766-A50S.PDF . Plus no way I'd spend over $300 in that crap. Ha ha.

2. The second OEM looking choice is a bit more expensive at $200 (satin), or $220 (black), but probably the best fit, and least clutter. I checked my car, and I'd drain it without removing that cover for sure: https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil-...20/p/OILSEP87/

3. This is the one most folks here buy: https://www.cjponyparts.com/jlt-per...ssenger-side-mustang-gt-2018-2020/p/OILSEP84/ . But I think it doesn't fit the Bullitt like the video shows, for the same reason stated on #1. So the can would be resting at an angle over the head cover. Not acceptable to this OCD guy. Ha ha.

Bottom line is the #2 seems to be the best choice for the OCD types like me :D. But let's hear what you guys think
icon_biggrin.gif
. Thank you.
JC
Sponsored

FlyingBobbyG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hey gang, wondering if it's really necessary to add that expensive 'mod' to our cars without any tracking. My car's PCV valve is making a rattling noise, meaning it's defective. My departed 2018 F-150 Platinum (3.5EB) had the same PCV as the Bullitt, and it started rattling at 12K miles. Replaced it, and silent again. So it might be allowing more oil than normal into the intake. Removed the hose, inserted a finger, and it was oily inside, with about 300 miles on the clock. The one on the driver's side was basically dry; just minimal oily feel, but no oil, like on the other.

If there's a need for one, I want it to look OEM. Found 2 choices (the 3rd is for the .

1. The Ford Performance one, but it has to be the M-6766-A50A (the A50 doesn't fit 2019s). And my car has a harness the Ford installation sheet doesn't show, so not sure if it'd fit or not. The hose doesn't fit perfectly either, because the GT350 intake has the inlet at a different angle and it's deeper inside, so you have to stress that hose quite a bit. Plus the reservoir is very small; Ford doesn't even mention how many ounces it holds, but I'd say 1. Cheapest price I found is $160 here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...ibanner=SREPD2 . And here are the Ford instructions: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6766-A50A.PDF . There's one for the GT350 driver's side too, but it wouldn't fit our cars anyway: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6766-A50S.PDF . Plus no way I'd spend over $300 in that crap. Ha ha.

2. The second OEM looking choice is a bit more expensive at $200 (satin), or $220 (black), but probably the best fit, and least clutter. I checked my car, and I'd drain it without removing that cover for sure: https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil-...20/p/OILSEP87/

3. This is the one most folks here buy: https://www.cjponyparts.com/jlt-per...ssenger-side-mustang-gt-2018-2020/p/OILSEP84/ . But I think it doesn't fit the Bullitt like the video shows, for the same reason stated on #1. So the can would be resting at an angle over the head cover. Not acceptable to this OCD guy. Ha ha.

Bottom line is the #2 seems to be the best choice for the OCD types like me :D. But let's hear what you guys think
icon_biggrin.gif
. Thank you.
JC
This is from the JLT website. I don't have one yet, but I had JLT oil separators on my old GT500 and fitting and finish is oem + quality. This one shows mounted on Bullitt

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-...enger-side-2018-2019-mustang-gt-2019-bullitt/

Cold_one

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt (3033); 2018 Navigator; ++++
I have the FP Passenger side:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A50A

100% fits, had 0 problems installing it. It sits at a bit of an angle on the bracket (so it's not just hanging off the hoses)
Easy to remove and empty with the quick connect fittings.
FP Oil.jpg
Looks like a nice factory unit. I’ve only 800km on mine - hope to get it out of hibernation soon.

Interesting to read the disclaimer re. only for track use. Not sure how it’ll violate US and Canadian emission laws and since the probability of being checked/caught is essentially zero, I’m not too worried about installing one.

Sponsored

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
I got the nice UPR catchcan for both clean and dirty side. In the last 2k miles i have had almost no oil collecting in the catch can.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This one shows mounted on Bullitt
Thank you for posting that; I stand corrected. But still wouldn't buy it, since I don't consider the can hanging from the hoses an acceptable installation.

It sits at a bit of an angle on the bracket
Yeah, I saw that. Shouldn't be the case from an OEM part; I'm disappointed, but my guess is that it's not specifically designed for the Bullitt intake (with a deeper inlet than a regular GT), and Ford just made it fit, rather than supplying a longer inlet hose. That 'can' has minimal capacity, and at an angle, even less. Plus you can't see how full it is, so you have to check it often.

You've got it backwards. A PCV valve that rattles when shaken means it's working. Google it if you don't believe me.
Of course they're supposed to rattle when shaken OFF THE VEHICLE :). They shouldn't rattle when operating; google it if you don't believe me. Ha ha. That's when they let oil thru, by the way, rather than just vapors. The good news is they're cheap enough to get changed every year or two. I bought 2.

I got the nice UPR catchcan for both clean and dirty side. In the last 2k miles i have had almost no oil collecting in the catch can.
Hey, that was exactly the info I was looking for. And if I had to install a catch can, I'd be the UPR. It's the best design IMO (most OEM looking), and it so large you don't have to worry about checking it often. Plus I believe it has the best system to catch the most oil. But glad I might not have to install one at all, especially keeping an eye on the PCV valve. But have one final question for you: How do you drive your car (rpm range, WOT use, etc)? To judge if I can expect the same results as your car :). Thx.

Finally, the only reason catch cans are 'for racing only' is because the EPA doesn't want owners dumping the excess oil where they shouldn't. But if recycled properly, like when we change the oil, there's absolutely no valid reason not install one. If anything, it'd just be empty; no harm.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
I went back and fors between the FP one and JLT. In the end, I decided on the JLT. It is simple and easy to drain. Installed it at first oil change (700 miles). I checked it at second oil change (2200 miles) and it had about 1/4 of oil/fuel/liquid.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks man. But may I also ask you how you drive your car? :D At any rate, seems like a good idea to have one, since I always downshift thru each gear (with aggressive throttle blips), like we're supposed to with a manual NA V8. Ha ha. I don't drive aggressively much, but all the engine braking I do probably contributes more to oil ingestion than if you drive harder on an automatic (or not downshifting much). And only way to know if my engine is ingesting oil is with a damn catch can, no? Will wait for your answers, but you guys are convincing me to get one, which would be the UPR one; it looks superior to the others in actual oil separation design, so worth the extra $40 IMO.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
I've been running JLT catch cans for years on all my vehicles (GT500s, Hellcats, etc.). They always worked well and customer service is second to none. The GT500 can is not supported by a bracket either but it rode just fine. Love the look of the Ford Performance unit but the JLT is a bit easier to service and remove. JLT or FP they both work as advertised. It's all a matter of taste. I looked at the UPR but decided against it. Quality unit but I wouldn't like taking my radiator cover off every time I want to check it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bullitt_3461

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Mach 1
I went back and fors between the FP one and JLT. In the end, I decided on the JLT. It is simple and easy to drain. Installed it at first oil change (700 miles). I checked it at second oil change (2200 miles) and it had about 1/4 of oil/fuel/liquid.
This was my exact experience as well, even close to the same mileage. 100% JLT>

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah, I saw that. Shouldn't be the case from an OEM part; I'm disappointed, but my guess is that it's not specifically designed for the Bullitt intake (with a deeper inlet than a regular GT), and Ford just made it fit, rather than supplying a longer inlet hose. That 'can' has minimal capacity, and at an angle, even less. Plus you can't see how full it is, so you have to check it often.
IIRC it's due to the space for the catch can, not a defect or lack of hose size. The bracket is slightly angled that way tipping it forward.
It holds a lot, its a fairly large unit by comparison to my old JLT on a previous mustang. I'd venture to say the FP actually holds more.

Emptying my JLT compared to this one is about the same. 2 quick release clips and remove the unit, tip it and dump it. Reattach. Takes 2 seconds.
I like the FP better myself but you can't really go wrong with either.

I'd bet the 'track only' caveat is only for liability since its got user involvement to empty, compared to a self draining unit like on the GT500 which requires no user interaction.
Anything like that with the potential to siphon oil in if Joe Public doesn't empty it...bad news.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I looked at the UPR but decided against it. Quality unit, but I wouldn't like taking my radiator cover off every time I want to check it.
You don't have to. Just install it tucked in enough (towards the front of the car), so your hand fits to unscrew the can. If you were to install it very close to the engine, then yes, it'd be hard to do with the cover in place. But looks less cluttered tucked in, plus you can empty the can easy. Although with 8 ounces, you wouldn't have to do it more often than every oil change IMO.

By the way, just replaced the PCV valve, and the new one is different when looked from the bottom, so it was obviously redesigned; hopefully less prone to failure. We'll see :D. Still not sure if I'll install a UPR catch can or not. Not only is it expensive ($200), but I'd be adding clutter to an already cluttered engine compartment. Plus it's not something I'd enjoy at all, so I'd only do it if needed. Will wait for the 'driving style' report from the folks who reported no oil and some oil, to judge if I need one or not. Cleaned the PCV hose the best I could, to monitor if it gets oily again.
Sponsored