Sponsored

Changed my Oil- Too soon?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
How can you change your oil too soon? It can hurt anything. I’m changing mine when I hit 500 on my new 2018.
Modern oil additive package isn't fully activated at short change intervals.
Yup, it's true changing oil to frequently causes additional wear.
Sponsored

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Modern oil additive package isn't fully activated at short change intervals.
Yup, it's true changing oil to frequently causes additional wear.
And you know this how?

Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Smart to change oil early rather than pushing limits. Common sense. Don’t let anyone tell you any different. Clean oil is better than dirty oil every time.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Smart to change oil early rather than pushing limits. Common sense. Don’t let anyone tell you any different. Clean oil is better than dirty oil every time.
You want to tell everyone your definition of pushing the limits ?
Can you be more specific ?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I change my oil about every six months, which is the longest interval Ford recommends regardless of mileage. Usually works out to be about 5k miles. I use the factory 5w-20 synthetic blend oil and factory filter.

Personal rule of thumb...over the years I have gravitated to change oil on all my cars at 5k (usually synthetic blend), which admittedly is probably a bit sooner than necessary. 7500 miles with normal driving is not being negligent, but the oil is getting a bit black. 3k changes are a complete waste unless you are driving under harsh conditions / heavily modified.

On just one of my Hondas, I've done over 60 oil changes!

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I change my oil about every six months, which is the longest interval Ford recommends regardless of mileage. Usually works out to be about 5k miles. I use the factory 5w-20 synthetic blend oil and factory filter.

Personal rule of thumb...over the years I have gravitated to change oil on all my cars at 5k (usually synthetic blend), which admittedly is probably a bit sooner than necessary. 7500 miles with normal driving is not being negligent, but the oil is getting a bit black. 3k changes are a complete waste unless you are driving under harsh conditions / heavily modified.

On just one of my Hondas, I've done over 60 oil changes!

You mean you’ve gone over 300,000 miles on a car doing 5000 mile oil changes?!!! Scary the thought of changing your oil too soon!!! Genxer is a very smart person. He didn’t wait too long to change his car’s oil and it lasted a long time. Folks, if you have ANY question about whether you should change your oil, give yourself peace of mind. Change the oil.

Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Who the Hell cares. If I want to change evey 1or 2 thousand miles it’s my money and piece of mind even if it doesn’t make sense to the “experts”.

sfs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Who the Hell cares. If I want to change evey 1or 2 thousand miles it’s my money and piece of mind even if it doesn’t make sense to the “experts”.
There you go..as stated..Done...

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Eh, do it when you want. One camp says there is special break in oil. I highly doubt it, but if it does, then there would be a lot of people with oil consumption problems (Stemming from changing oil early). On the other hand, GM had one heck of a time with their HFV6 when people changed it according to the oil life monitor - there was an unbelievable amount of sludge that built up. So bad, that there was a TSB that "Fixed" the sludge problem, by simply reprogramming the OLM to have people do more frequent changes.

Another way to look at it: Too soon - you're wasting money. Too Late - you're causing damage to your bearings (In the extreme).

I routinely put over 100k on my cars and usually change the oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles. (6 months because oils lose ph from not burning condensation off frequently enough).

Deleted member 35644

500, then 5,000 thereafter. Never had a problem. I start to get night sweats at 5,000. I can't imagine going to 7,500 or paying any attention to the maintenance minder.
Sponsored