Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ There have been what I'd call an abnormal level of reported damaged Gen3 engines (and a fair number of Gen2 engines) on this chat board alone. There are probably various reasons why they had damage, so hard to say if some were directly related to the various noises heard in these engines as the root cause But what are the odds that only engines that show internal damage only belong to M6G members - not very likely.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
so... if mine has ticked about since new and BEFORE an oil change- i have 1200 miles on mine and it has ticked since about 700 miles and they said it was normal at the time- does that mean i should push for a new engine? I mean they state in the TSB that this happening AFTER an oil change is normal. Does that mean it happening BEFORE an oil change is abnormal? Especially on a brand new car?
I’m wondering the same. Mine did it prior to an oil change and does it even worse after an oil change. Also found plenty of metal in the filter when I cut it open. Dealer said that’s normal. Of course.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I’m wondering the same. Mine did it prior to an oil change and does it even worse after an oil change. Also found plenty of metal in the filter when I cut it open. Dealer said that’s normal. Of course.
Dealer is telling you the truth. It's normal in Mustang Coyote engines. But in other engines it would not be normal. So the dealer is not lying.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
If someone gave a number, then you would have to know what the real number is (which you don't unless you work for Ford's warranty statistics department) ... otherwise your number doesn't mean much either. Your argument is just a strawman tactic to stir the pot even more.

In the real world what the owner's are experiencing is what matters ... and Ford or any other car company should know that or they wouldn't be in the car business.
A strawman? Maybe you don't know what a strawman is.

Swing and a miss.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I love my QUIET Gen 1 Coyote engine more and more each day,isn't progress just the best thing, noise,failure and NO explainton or fix from Ford.
Pretty sure Ford has said it is normal on all generations.

Sponsored

RCOLEMAN545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't put too much faith in Ceratec. It cured my cold start tick for about 100 miles. At this point, i'm living with it.

Deleted member 35786

Like I said earlier in this thread. There has not been one documented case of engine failure due to this tick. Plus you have 5yrs/60k mile powertrain warranty to back you up.

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i just know that i baby my cars. i don't beat on them. i over maintain them. i expect this vehicle to last 200k miles. if the engine dies at 60,001 miles or even 100k miles, that is unacceptable for a modern day ICE and this will be my first and last NEW ford. i will stick with the asian vehicles from that point on.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i just know that i baby my cars. i don't beat on them. i over maintain them. i expect this vehicle to last 200k miles. if the engine dies at 60,001 miles or even 100k miles, that is unacceptable for a modern day ICE and this will be my first and last NEW ford. i will stick with the asian vehicles from that point on.
Because Asian cars don't have any problems. LOL

Sponsored

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Toyota gave the owner a brand new truck as well.
Free truck? Big deal. I understand Ford promises to give owners of Fords that go over a million miles, one billion dollars. Loyd's of London quoted Ford a premium of $1 to cover that offer. :wink:

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
A million highway miles? I wouldn't say that's anything revolutionary. Vehicles incur very little powertrain wear cruising at constant highway speeds.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer is telling you the truth. It's normal in Mustang Coyote engines. But in other engines it would not be normal. So the dealer is not lying.
A large amount of metal debris in the oil on the first oil change is not normal ... especially in the oil filter. Every new vehicle I've owned I've cut open the oil filters open (with the proper filter cutting tool, so no cutting debris) for inspection after the first oil change, and all I've ever seen is maybe 3 or 4 very small flakes of metal in the filter. Some of the guys here are seeing 100 times or more metal in the oil filter. That's not normal on any engine on a first oil change.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A strawman? Maybe you don't know what a strawman is.

Swing and a miss.
Call it what you want ... your argument has no validity because you don't have the numbers either ... NOBODY but Ford does, so it's all a diversion argument (asking for engine failure numbers) that can't be verified by anyone here, including you.

I've seen this happen many times on the chat boards and the internet, when there is CONSTANT talk about engine problems and lots of reports from owners and their dealings with issues, then it typically means there are engine problems.
Sponsored

Last edited: