Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
Call it what you want ... your argument has no validity because you don't have the numbers either ... NOBODY but Ford does, so it's all a diversion argument (asking for engine failure numbers) that can't be verified by anyone here, including you.

I've seen this happen many times on the chat boards and the internet, when there is CONSTANT talk about engine problems and lots of reports from owners and their dealings with issues, then it typically means there are engine problems.
but the forums are a small sample size, the people who have issues are always the ones to complain and of course that makes sense; and they should, but you cant call the few even if it was a hundred people on these forums and boobtube, I don't even think there is that many total, a good enough sample size. your right only ford has the numbers until they release them, which they wont, there is no sense trying to say alot, all or many or few, those words carry no weight.
Sponsored

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
but the forums are a small sample size, the people who have issues are always the ones to complain and of course that makes sense; and they should, but you cant call the few even if it was a hundred people on these forums and boobtube, I don't even think there is that many total, a good enough sample size. your right only ford has the numbers until they release them, which they wont, there is no sense trying to say alot, all or many or few, those words carry no weight.
I stopped by Ford this week to pick up some suspension bolts. Went over to the service dept to chat with the service manager who is a pretty good acquaintance. Sat with him for a good hour talking cars. Keep in mind this is a small dealer but they do sell the occasional GT350 among some GTs with performance parts thrown on them. They don't automatically void warranties because you put a catch can or exhaust on either. He said they have not done one engine replacement on a 2018 or 19. Have never had one person ever bring a S550 in for the tick since he has been there for the last three years. He said I was honestly the first one to ever bring it up to him! I couldn't believe it.

He is also not in the trenches like the service writers, but I'm sure he gets some feed back. The last engine replacement they did was in 2018 on a 17 GT for a guy who ran it completely out of oil.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Worse than this?
That's sounds horrible.

That would be piston slap right because like someone mentioned it reminded of the LS1 piston slap sound.
Which like it seems with the Coyote is kinda might be overblown with the amount of people that have the problem.
I knew many people that has LS1's back then and my dad had two. Still has his 2nd one and none of them had/have piston slap.

I have some type of tick on mine, but it's real faint at idle and with my exhaust I can't hear it much when revving up.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To further what you said, how many users log in on this forum solely to find others with similar problems? How many are long standing members then had an issue? In other words, the probability exists new users with coyote issues inundate the forum to voice their respective issue could skew the perception that this is a significant problem across the community when in reality, it represents a small number of 2018-2019 owners. The board is not a random slice of the S550 Mustang owners but filled with members who have specific motivations whether to seek knowledge or as a avenue to air grievances.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So you can't give me the percentage. Just what I thought.
I don’t believe that Ford is replacing blocks because of just a noise but the nature or that noise and what it is causing in some. It has to be damaging

Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ There have been what I'd call an abnormal level of reported damaged Gen3 engines (and a fair number of Gen2 engines) on this chat board alone. There are probably various reasons why they had damage, so hard to say if some were directly related to the various noises heard in these engines as the root cause But what are the odds that only engines that show internal damage only belong to M6G members - not very likely.
Don’t forget the F-150’s too

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Dealer is telling you the truth. It's normal in Mustang Coyote engines. But in other engines it would not be normal. So the dealer is not lying.
I don’t believe that. The service message says the noise starts after an oil change. Mine started well before the only oil change I’ve done. According to the wording of the message, it doesn’t apply in that case.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I don’t believe that Ford is replacing blocks because of just a noise but the nature or that noise and what it is causing in some. It has to be damaging
Or... they needed some engines with a known ‘tick’ to analyze the issue?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Or... they needed some engines with a known ‘tick’ to analyze the issue?
I'm sure Ford has had plenty of changed out short blocks sent back for analysis to know what the issue is. Many of the guys here who reported having a short block replaced under warranty said the dealership was told by Ford to send the bad short block back and to not tear into it.

Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I'm sure Ford has had plenty of changed out short blocks sent back for analysis to know what the issue is. Many of the guys here who reported having a short block replaced under warranty said the dealership was told by Ford to send the bad short block back and to not tear into it.
Right, because they wanted the engines for analysis, NOT because they were damaged.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Right, because they wanted the engines for analysis, NOT because they were damaged.
Because they were tickers. Only Ford knows if there was any damage or not, because they are the only ones that tore them down. Of course they wanted them for analysis ... not paper weights. :)

SteveR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
C6 Corvette
Dam really wanted a 2019 Mustang gt, but with 35-43% of 2018-2019 mustangs having the tick I really don't know plus all these youtube videos of longblock and shortblock replacements and car buybacks along with the loud noises than can be heard.

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Dam really wanted a 2019 Mustang gt, but with 35-43% of 2018-2019 mustangs having the tick I really don't know plus all these youtube videos of longblock and shortblock replacements and car buybacks along with the loud noises than can be heard.
Run away to the other choice...
Love my 18 btw :)

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your percentages based on some hard data? lol
Sponsored