Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I don't need to give you the percentage.

YOU are making the assertion, back it up. That's how it works.
Sponsored

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
my 2019 started doing this at like 200 miles. had the dealer take a look and listen when i went back in for new struts due to a knocking noise when steering. They said "normal". I am currently at 1200 miles and it went away fo a while mostly, but i noticed really bad the other day in a drive-thru. but was gone when i got back home.

i noticed if i drive it like grandma, in drive and just easy, it will tick. If i get on it once she is warm, and drive it like it is designed, spiritedly, it goes away.

I am not that worried about it but with the statement coming out from ford recently, i will bring it up to my dealer at the 1st oil change which is going to be in another 2 months based on 6 month OCI. it will prolly have another 1000 miles on it max so probably about less than 2500 miles.

I will see what they say then unless the noise worsens then it goes back.

i am of the opinion that a car that is brand new, that i paid almost 45k$ for, should not be making random knocking noises. if it does, they need to explain what is causing the noise and why it doesn't matter. if they cannot do that, then they are just biding time hoping that most won't fail until out of warranty. with that said, I do see where alot of people are saying they have had the tick for years on their earlier stangs with no issues, so i am hoping it is in fact just the nature of the design and nothing sinister to worry about.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
High enough engine replacements for M6G members to know that it's not "normal".
So you can't give me the percentage. Just what I thought.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So you can't give me the percentage. Just what I thought.
Anyone's guess ... even yours. Only Ford knows that, and nobody here will ever hear that number.

Fact is, the amount of reports on this chat board alone is way past "normal" and I think many here think that way. That's all that matters.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What is more likely? Many owners were getting their engines replaced after bringing it into the dealer for the "tick", but Ford didn't really need to replace those engines, and those owners are just super OCD and the Ford dealers are gullible.
So basically Ford has been needlessly throwing away money.

Or - Ford technicians actually found real problems after tearing into these engines which were brought in for the "tick", and that's why the engines were replaced. And now they have replaced so many and don't want it to get out of hand or allow the bad press on social media to continue, thus hurting their brand. So they issue this statement. The statement from Ford wasn't even proofread for grammar and spelling, but let's unequivocally accept what they say. And oh, btw just saw another one today. BBQ tick, metal shavings found in oil filter, rubbing on the cylinder walls. New thread just this morning. Not to mention that the 2011 engines are not the same as the 2018s.
It's funny, because I know you totally didn't mean for it to seem this way, but the first suggestion sounds FAR more likely than a coverup to "save money" that will ultimately cost them more money in the form of a lawsuit.

GET YER TIN FOIL HATS, BOYS! IT'S GOING DOWNNNNNN

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's funny, because I know you totally didn't mean for it to seem this way, but the first suggestion sounds FAR more likely than a coverup to "save money" that will ultimately cost them more money in the form of a lawsuit.

GET YER TIN FOIL HATS, BOYS! IT'S GOING DOWNNNNNN
LOL, well hey I'm glad I added some entertainment for you!

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The tick/rattle/knock is a deal breaker for me......I will not buy the current Coyote while this is a issue.
To many people have now had their motors sleeved to make the problem go away.
Every aftermarket company is saying the same thing and using the same cure.....
Ford needs to fix this.
The Coyote before this one did not have this problem.
The 5.2 does not have this problem to the best of my knowledge.
I love my QUIET Gen 1 Coyote engine more and more each day,isn't progress just the best thing, noise,failure and NO explainton or fix from Ford.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Anyone's guess ... even yours. Only Ford knows that, and nobody here will ever hear that number.

Fact is, the amount of reports on this chat board alone is way past "normal" and I think many here think that way. That's all that matters.
No, what matters are the actual numbers, none of which you've provided. In the real world, when you make a statement like that, you back it up with facts, not ancedotal evidence.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, what matters are the actual numbers, none of which you've provided. In the real world, when you make a statement like that, you back it up with facts, not ancedotal evidence.
If someone gave a number, then you would have to know what the real number is (which you don't unless you work for Ford's warranty statistics department) ... otherwise your number doesn't mean much either. Your argument is just a strawman tactic to stir the pot even more.

In the real world what the owner's are experiencing is what matters ... and Ford or any other car company should know that or they wouldn't be in the car business.

Sponsored

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
so... if mine has ticked about since new and BEFORE an oil change- i have 1200 miles on mine and it has ticked since about 700 miles and they said it was normal at the time- does that mean i should push for a new engine? I mean they state in the TSB that this happening AFTER an oil change is normal. Does that mean it happening BEFORE an oil change is abnormal? Especially on a brand new car?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No tick here and mine is a prior rental car... go figure
But for you tickers.... lol
giphy.gif
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...d-typewriter-noise.116929/page-7#post-2464066

Something like this can make noise but not damage the engine, and not show any debris in the oil or filter. If Ford knows this is the cause of the "typewriter tick" (BBQ tick) then I can see where they think it's "normal" (even though it really isn't because the clearances are out of factory specs) and won't cause engine damage - just makes noise.

May also explain why an additive like Ceratec (or Fords old XL-17 additive) makes it disappear because it cushions the impact of parts better than just regular oil.

Last edited:

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think what he is asking is quite simple. Where are the facts that support this is an epidemic? So far, no one has produced any tangible evidence that states "out of X number of V8 Mustangs produced in 2018-2019, Y have had engine failures." Or even that the type writer or BBQ or insert whatever stupid name you want to call it, is a engine failure mode. Not one post out of thousands on this sight on this subject...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I think what he is asking is quite simple. Where are the facts that support this is an epidemic? So far, no one has produced any tangible evidence that states "out of X number of V8 Mustangs produced in 2018-2019, Y have had engine failures." Or even that the type writer or BBQ or insert whatever stupid name you want to call it, is a engine failure mode. Not one post out of thousands on this sight on this subject...
C'mon!! You can't use that common sense bull shiat!!. Makes to much sense. Lol
Sponsored