Sponsored

Modifying As-Built Data Guide

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So thanks @Spart for confirming what I suspected was lacking in my process.
Is there someone/somewhere in these forums or elsewhere that details the FORScan PCM relearn process, how to do it?

Thanks in advance.
It's in my original thread on the topic under "I have a DTC now": https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ometer-error-no-flash-or-tune-required.67564/

Has anyone been able to enable Sport mode on the base model, non PP, Ecoboost? I've copied the as built data to mine from a PP car of the same year with the same options, but wasn't able to enable this. I do run into issues with the ABS module when I change those codes, I get a service now message for Advancetrac. I'm assuming there might be a different part somewhere that is specific to the PP cars, but I would assume that would be the ABS module, and I only see once part number for that.
You'll have to do a Sync 3 swap. You can enable the stuff in the ABS and IPC all you want, but it's for naught if you don't have the Mode toggle on your FCIM (aka radio bezel.)
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to set a drive mode other than "normal" to be the default mode?
Nobody has figured it out yet if there is. I'm gonna guess not though

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Is it possible to set a drive mode other than "normal" to be the default mode?
As-Built data simply tells each module what vehicle it is installed in and which part of it's programming it should use. You cannot create options that don't exist. You can only customize options that may not have been available together.

For instance: my 2008 F250 XL came optioned with the power equipment group (power windows & locks), but not the advanced security group (remote keyless entry). All of the hardware between a vehicle with and without remote keyless entry is identical. The only difference is the As-Built data that the modules are programmed with. I changed the programming in the Smart Junction Box to match an XLT with the advanced security group and remote keyless entry works.

I would not, however, be able to program my amber marker lamps to come on with the ignition because there was no option in the super dutys that allowed that.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You cannot create options that don't exist. You can only customize options that may not have been available together.
That's not really true. There are plenty of examples of options that don't come on any factory car being available, as well as features on other Ford vehicles that end up in the Mustang module software.

The crux of the matter is whether the software engineers put an on/off switch (or something similar) for a feature that they wrote into the module firmware in the as-built.

A good example of this is the double-honk reminder when you exit the vehicle with the key. It can be turned off, but no factory vehicle comes with it turned off.

Another good example is that you can set the power point timeout to arbitrary values. The cars all come standard with a 1:14:44 timeout, but you can set it to anything from one second to 18 hours.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
A good example of this is the double-honk reminder when you exit the vehicle with the key. It can be turned off, but no factory vehicle comes with it turned off.
Not in the US market anyway. Many of the option combinations that "don't exist" actually do exist in international markets (and as you stated other vehicle lines that use the same hardware).

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Not in the US market anyway. Many of the option combinations that "don't exist" actually do exist in international markets (and as you stated other vehicle lines that use the same hardware).
The point is, you aren't beyond hope if you go hunting for features that aren't used in a production vehicle.

In the specific example of a default drive mode, I would agree that it's almost certainly not there.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I would not, however, be able to program my amber marker lamps to come on with the ignition because there was no option in the super dutys that allowed that.
The as built data has allowed me to do exactly this.

I'm inclined to agree that it all depends on what the software engineers put in there. The auto and manuals have different choices for drive modes. Did the software guys program it to be specific with the only choice being auto VS manual? Or did they generalize it for future compatibility and therefore not have to update the whole software package when they introduce new drive mode options? My point is that the vehicle needs to know which option set is available (and what choices it contains) and I would venture to say which is the default choice as well. Perhaps they figured (or the government requires them to include all the stuff to make up for those that can't drive) and therefore there's no foreseeable need to make the default mode optional. It could be hard-coded or it could be option coded.

And the existing as built data that this forum has discovered already shows that it goes way beyond which option packages are installed and activated. All cars come with a horn, yet the as built data can be used to alter its behavior. Same goes for the lights, the panic button on the key FOB, etc.. Whether the engineers made it optional for regulatory requirements, market requirements, personal owner preferences, or simply to account for future possibilities, they have included (or excluded) many behaviors and options that have not been mapped out yet.

Speaking of which, all of the available display text for all possible options in the IPC already exist in the code. Has anyone tried to decompile it and look for meaningful text? Might give a boost to figuring out the possibilities with a better list of what to look for.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The real answer is more likely that Ford made everything close to being the same across model lines (from a programming standpoint) to keep costs down. I just had this discussion with a very knowledgeable member here yesterday LOL. Ford is not the only one. Regardless of our personal opinions - if a company is owned by shareholders - their job is to make a profit for these shareholders. Anything that reduces redundant man hours helps this aim.

The main issue is that I'm betting that many of the options in the various modules that have been discovered for other Ford models (F150 etc) don't apply to the Mustang directly. So while changing one value in a module on a F150 does X - it very likely will have no effect (or another different effect) on the Mustang.

It's been well documented - but for enabling / disabling factory available options using FORSCAN, the best avenue still seems to be finding an OEM as built file of a car equipped with the feature(s) you want and comparing that info with your current car's info. Then investigating any hardware that may be needed.

Enabling things like default drive mode would likely involve (as mentioned) custom programming and that's a whole other ball of wax.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
On a S550 Mustang, yes. There are EU markets (I believe) that require the ambers on with ignition. I've done that to my GT, too. It's not possible on the 2008 Super Duty.
Do they also require low beams, high beams, and/or fog lights as DRL's? These were also options available via as-built. Additionally, there was also an option to activate a choice to appear in the IPC to allow the driver to add or remove the fog lights from the DRL's at will.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Do they also require low beams, high beams, and/or fog lights as DRL's? These were also options available via as-built. Additionally, there was also an option to activate a choice to appear in the IPC to allow the driver to add or remove the fog lights from the DRL's at will.
Different markets have different legal requirements. There are some markets where the gill LEDs can't be illuminated and some where the rear turn signal must be amber (no sequential reds), but those are hardware changes as well as As-Built changes. Same with things like the automatic folding side mirrors.

I tried the IPC DRL menu option, but never could get it to work on the S550.

Randhawa_KS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KS
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT OF vert, FG XR6, Lexus RX 350
Hi all the tech gurus, thanks for the great information here. Just wondering if it is possible to activate remote start on AUS mustangs as my understanding is that it has been disabled due to Australian compliance regulations which is bullshit. I am not sure if you require any extra hardware for that or just an activation from the AB data. Someone from AUS enthusiast club might be able to confirm that.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Hi all the tech gurus, thanks for the great information here. Just wondering if it is possible to activate remote start on AUS mustangs as my understanding is that it has been disabled due to Australian compliance regulations which is bullshit. I am not sure if you require any extra hardware for that or just an activation from the AB data. Someone from AUS enthusiast club might be able to confirm that.
I believe the fobs for remote start use a completely different frequency than the ones without remote start. I don't know if the frequency is set by software or hardware. If it's set by software, it might be possible, but you'll have to track down a fob with the correct buttons.

Randhawa_KS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KS
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT OF vert, FG XR6, Lexus RX 350
I believe the fobs for remote start use a completely different frequency than the ones without remote start. I don't know if the frequency is set by software or hardware. If it's set by software, it might be possible, but you'll have to track down a fob with the correct buttons.
Thanks TexasRebel for your reply. I will see if i could find more info on the remote start fobs. Otherwise I will have to get the VIPER car alarm installed with Remote start option which is about $1000 here. I hate these b****y Australian compliance rules.
Sponsored

Last edited: