Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
You don't have a problem with your engine then. If your engine had the rap like mine, it would be easily heard.
Sponsored

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Go look at 996's and IMS bearing failure. Some fail and some don't. Not every car is going to have issues. If yours doesn't enjoy it.
Good point, just looked it up and it seems very similar to this Gen3 issue.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Cavitation! This is what I was told by Ford Powertrain Engineering.
Rhetorical Questions:
If it's oil cavitation in the journal bearings, why does it only happen to certain Ford engines? I don't hear thousands of other cars ticking due to "oil cavitation".
What's different with Ford bearings in a few models that causes "oil cavitation" to the point of making ticking noises?
And why don't all Coyotes tick if that's the real cause?
If it was really just oil cavitation, why does Ford replace short blocks when a dealership tells Ford they have a ticker?
If it was normal, why hasn't Ford said so in a TSB or SSM since 2011?

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaning towards it being a few issues bulked/mixed together: cavitation, piston slap, bad bearings. tolerance issues.Nearly everyone is reporting something along those lines in every case.
I have to agree. The ratio of people with actual engine issues versus those with just the tick is too small. Some were unlucky to have both. Issues are being mixed together.

If a different grade of oil or Ceratec "solves" your problem it's nothing harmful, IMHO.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Rhetorical Questions:
If it's oil cavitation in the journal bearings, why does it only happen to certain Ford engines? I don't hear thousands of other cars ticking due to "oil cavitation".
What's different with Ford bearings in a few models that causes "oil cavitation" to the point of making ticking noises?
And why don't all Coyotes tick if that's the real cause?
If it was really just oil cavitation, why does Ford replace short blocks when a dealership tells Ford they have a ticker?
If it was normal, why hasn't Ford said so in a TSB or SSM since 2011?
I've been told they have been testing different types of bearings. Some have the tick and a lot don't, it all depends on engine build stack-up. It seems if the customer really has a problem with the tick and it bothers them, a good dealership & Ford will replace the short block or long block most of the time.

Sponsored

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford can fix the problem very easy. When H-D were having problems, They hired Porsche to design their h2o engine

Stokely77x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I took my 2019 in for the tick and attached is what they claim my issues are... I'm not going to worry about the noises anymore. I have documentation that I brought it in making noises and they claim all is normal. So if the engine decides to go, it goes. I'm just gonna enjoy driving the car and if it gets worse I'll take it back in.
20190108_203541.jpg

Last edited:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I blame the crappy 5W20 oil and CAFE standard that cause manufactures to use it despite knowing it reduces engine life.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
The wrong head gasket (ST version) was installed on the affected RS engines.

All consumers are 'test mules' for everything on the market, that's why there is a warranty. Stuff goes wrong, like birth defects and other human malfunctions. S#!t happens!
Actually they managed to use the Mustang gasket which caused the problem. They had to check every one though because there was a chance the head also warped!

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I took my 2019 in for the tick and attached is what they claim my issues are... I'm not going to worry about the noises anymore. I have documentation that I brought it in making noises and they claim all is normal. So if the engine decides to go, it goes. I'm just gonna enjoy driving the car and if it gets worse I'll take it back in.
20190108_203541.jpg
"Unable to duplicate concern at this time"? Why is it all ways the way? Amazing.

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
"Unable to duplicate concern at this time"? Why is it all ways the way? Amazing.
I once had a 2010 that kept shorting...they couldnt duplicate.

I kid you not the tech drove my mustang up to about 40mph in the field next to the dealership and finally triggered the event...

On the one hand..."WTF dude".

On the other hand... "I told you it was shutting down and tripping on me while driving!"

True story...

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I once had a 2010 that kept shorting...they couldnt duplicate.

I kid you not the tech drove my mustang up to about 40mph in the field next to the dealership and finally triggered the event...

On the one hand..."WTF dude".

On the other hand... "I told you it was shutting down and tripping on me while driving!"

True story...
I had a 2000 Dodge Caravan that kept turning off highly intermittently. It would always start right up but got nerve racking to drive. Finally died in a parking lot and wouldn't start. Towed to the dealer, under warranty. I had already checked battery, connections, fuse box, grounds, replaced CPS etc and came to the conclusion the ECU was hosed. So dealer calls me up and tells me it's the battery, they replaced it and it's running fine. In fact the tech is on a test drive right now. I called bull$hit... Ain't the battery.. Service manager insists so I succumb. So 2 hours later the service manager calls and lets me know the tech got stuck on the road and they had to flatbed the van back. Oh yea, they are replacing the ECU..... That fixed it. Never had another problem...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
From my understanding Ford is having a quality control problem and putting smaller dia pistons in bigger bore blocks, hence causing the rattle at 2000 rpm. Normal PTW clearance for the gen 3 was .0012 then with the block expansion at temp it would loosen up another .005. So if it starts off at .005 - .006 cold add another .005 when the block warms up now you have .010 - .011 which is excessive causing cylinder wall scoring due to piston slap. This can also collapse the piston skirts and cause cracking.
Clearance gets tighter as the piston heats up, not looser. Piston slap when cold is somewhat by design. My boss motor was .0035..uses same block as coyote. That seemed tight but the 4032 alloy in mahle pistons doesn’t expand very much. Mine had piston slap until it warmed up.
Engineers walk a fine line between too loose, causing noise, poor seal and higher emissions...and too tight which can result in failure when the piston outgrows the hole,

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think it's either the piston slap, or the oil film issue. Cavitation of some sort when the oil gets warm.

Do a YouTube search "Duramax Typewriter Tick".

There's loads of videos on it. Apparently it's an oil issue, same as the Power-strokes, and sounds identical to what's happening with our Coyotes.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I am told that the plasma coating was used successfully in the 5.8 GT500 and 5.2 Voodoo engines, but the engines were almost hand built due to low production numbers. Going to mass production engines is causing more deviations in tolerances, thus more failures. It will be interesting to see what solutions that Ford finally comes out with.
Sponsored