Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Of course every car manufacturer has issues. They range from ill fitting trim to engine replacements. This thread, just like many others, is about engine issues with the Mustangs. Other issues are irrelevant whether they're about the Mustang or a GTI. As far as buybacks go, whats considered a large number to you?
How many are there, do you know? I know a crap load of people are talking about it, that doesn't mean that crap load is experiencing it so you tell me how many have a legitimate engine issue?
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
How many are there, do you know? I know a crap load of people are talking about it, that doesn't mean that crap load is experiencing it so you tell me how many have a legitimate engine issue?
There's a poll here with that info. It's up to you to determine what you consider a legitimate engine issue. To me, any tapping or knocking from the bottom end is awful. To (what I assume you and a few others), it's just a "nature of the beast".

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a late build 2019 started doing it pretty bad....and while I have a YouTube this is my first Ford and first new car in 27 years I prefer to build than buy hut have health problems...for me it's not about clicks I wanted people clicking on my channel to see prochargers passes and burnouts not tifking....My car will be my town mascot and I had to drive 4hrs to get it....no ticks at dealer ( 120 miles ) no ticks after the long drive varying load as best I could but not going over 4000 rpm...not ticks on other cars I looked at...I took a video when I got home for posterity ...the very next morning after it's first full jeat soak and cool down....tick...then worse and worse now it's got 1200 miles and I dread the battle to come, I'm in poor health and it wouldn't be worth a million clicks to prepare a binder.....send out oil samples ....make them cut open filter and then try to hold my temper when they pretend not to hear it forcing the issue then if I get a motor it's diminished value and lawyer time so who the hell in their right mind would don't to make a few videos...I also plan to bore scope it myself before I go in armed with as much info as possible.........
It's pretty simply it IS the PTWA tech but it's not thrbprobthe thanks to MPR we know the bore grows .005 when at operating temp, we also know the Voodoo doesn't do it...IMHO it's not because it's hand built to exacting tolerances it's that it uses a forged piston that expands with the bore at a greater rate than the cast ones in our motors...simple shit to get the hot running clearance right they would have to be less than .001 which has it's own problems...should have stayed traditional liner and cast or given us at least a 4032 alloy piston where there is a chance of success ...in fact if I have to pull my engine down I'll he trying to use a forged piston...it's the only real tangible difference between why the Voodoo doesn't tick and we do with same bore tech and it makes perfect sense if we, like my October build 19, get an engine loose ( and I'm used to letting a car warm before I to because I run 2618 alloy in my motors usually it's just automatic after so many years ) on the bore spec and piston small on the range we get to much clearance and have the tick...instead of sending a long block they probably should just do a drop in order on some 4032 alloy pistons for us ...be cheaper in long run than entire engine.....
As I've said in videos I'm not mad we have the issue I'm mad with how Ford is sticking their heads in the sand and pretending it's not even making the noise thanks Shawn I'll keep this forum updated on my case and I as a first time for owner ( maybe builder soon) appreciate the info in this site .......
Wow, that sure sounds like the problem, it would be nice if car companies would investigate each complaint and handle it properly by replacing the engine with one they know for a fact doesn't have the issue and won't have the issue but some have reported the same problem with the replacement.

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
A couple of key word that I take away from his assesment...."I think". His opinion is a guess, just like everyone else on the infamous tick. Yes, his is a very "educated" guess, but a guess not the less.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Please link another car forum where the users report such high number of engine issues resulting in replacement, buyback, lemon law, etc...
A few lunatics (who had long sold their cars) will tell you that every GT350 engine has already blown up.

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Ford should deal with the issue by putting gen 2 engines back in.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's a poll here with that info. It's up to you to determine what you consider a legitimate engine issue. To me, any tapping or knocking from the bottom end is awful. To (what I assume you and a few others), it's just a "nature of the beast".
I'm not trying to argue that this isn't a problem, it clearly is but neither of us know how many are impacted. I trust a poll about as far as I can throw it. If my engine ticked, for example like it does in BlueCollarDaily's video I'd be parked at my Ford dealer raising a ruckus and I can guarantee if they didn't handle it to my satisfaction it would be my last Ford.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Ford should deal with the issue by putting gen 2 engines back in.
Aren't there tick complaints for all 3 generation's?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
A few lunatics (who had long sold their cars) will tell you that every GT350 engine has already blown up.
Untrue! At least 25% of GT350 engines were destroyed by the fires from leaking oil lines.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I jabe videos and chronicled from day one, my Blackstone oil sample kit just arriced...I will be getting service next week and asking for filter cut open along with diagnostics...I will offer to pay for out of pocket borescroping if they find something they don't charge me if, if they don't I'll pay.....I'll also bore scope it myself when I change plugs for blower ....I'll keep everyone here for legitimate reasons as closely in the loop as I am able.....I've raced, tuned( efi and carb) , and built engines for nearly 30 years but this is my first Ford and first Coyote....LOVE the car.....hate the tick/rattle.....love the trans as well.....
I can't speak for others but I can promise my intentions are pure and it's for us to network to help drill down to the answer, alleviate fears, enjoy our cars, and worse case give all the info I possibly can for those of us that didn't get the less than .001 clearance required for your cast pistons to not rattle at temp.....
As I stare in my video of coarse you look up frequent headache online your gonna find a tumor, but after 12 years of being an IT Manager...30 a car enthusiast there seems to be a little more fire than smoke.....
Just reverse it how the hell would Ford recover if they recalled every PWTA engine put out minus the ones with Ford pistons....I got some inside info I may be able to share later ( not nothing real social just how my own good friend changed his tuned from hell yeah that's not right , to they all do that AFTER HE plugged my VIN into oasic....very telling )

Wow, that sure sounds like the problem, it would be nice if car companies would investigate each complaint and handle it properly by replacing the engine with one they know for a fact doesn't have the issue and won't have the issue but some have reported the same problem with the replacement.

Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Jesus auto spell hosed me on this new phone....I meant OASIS....he did a 180 from naw ain't right to they all do that after logging in my VIN to Oasis.....

I jabe videos and chronicled from day one, my Blackstone oil sample kit just arriced...I will be getting service next week and asking for filter cut open along with diagnostics...I will offer to pay for out of pocket borescroping if they find something they don't charge me if, if they don't I'll pay.....I'll also bore scope it myself when I change plugs for blower ....I'll keep everyone here for legitimate reasons as closely in the loop as I am able.....I've raced, tuned( efi and carb) , and built engines for nearly 30 years but this is my first Ford and first Coyote....LOVE the car.....hate the tick/rattle.....love the trans as well.....
I can't speak for others but I can promise my intentions are pure and it's for us to network to help drill down to the answer, alleviate fears, enjoy our cars, and worse case give all the info I possibly can for those of us that didn't get the less than .001 clearance required for your cast pistons to not rattle at temp.....
As I stare in my video of coarse you look up frequent headache online your gonna find a tumor, but after 12 years of being an IT Manager...30 a car enthusiast there seems to be a little more fire than smoke.....
Just reverse it how the hell would Ford recover if they recalled every PWTA engine put out minus the ones with Ford pistons....I got some inside info I may be able to share later ( not nothing real social just how my own good friend changed his tuned from hell yeah that's not right , to they all do that AFTER HE plugged my VIN into oasic....very telling )

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So I just listened to the video above and....

- I thought you guys were talking about piston slap. I’ve heard piston slap on a lot of cars (most performance cars with short piston skirts have it until piston temperature is up and it grows a bit to the bore) and the audio above is not what I usually hear. This intermittent tapping...I cant say that I’d put any money that it’s piston slap. The way it clacks and goes away is very strange - reminds me of the sound a TKO transmission would make at idle back in the day but up higher. Cam phasers?

Do the cars that have this sound rattle more but consistently at very light throttle at lowish RPM?

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I actually agree not knowing a lot sboit coyotes but knowing enough that they are double overhead cams with super long chains and what 20 degrees of adjustment in cam phaser s and having and currently running a 2618 in my other 1200hp Procharged daily I'll say two things
1. I agree unless it's catching rocking at bottom or off of say rod end clearance changing it's sound with a multitude of variables it does not sound to my untrained coyote ears like piston slap, yet many many many end with that sound end up with scored bores and or scuffed bearings...
2. I did just go out and play with my MPVI2 and on light throttle I for SURE heard what I would traditionally identify as piston slap whether I can get it on a mic for use I'll try tomorrow I go to doctor in a few.....

I agree but I'll also add I just heard what is for sure piston slap or wrist pin clearance .....as well....

itQUOTE"stanglife, post: 2431760, member: 9260"]So I just listened to the video above and....

- I thought you guys were talking about piston slap. I’ve heard piston slap on a lot of cars (most performance cars with short piston skirts have it until piston temperature is up and it grows a bit to the bore) and the audio above is not what I usually hear. This intermittent tapping...I cant say that I’d put any money that it’s piston slap. The way it clacks and goes away is very strange - reminds me of the sound a TKO transmission would make at idle back in the day but up higher. Cam phasers?

Do the cars that have this sound rattle more but consistently at very light throttle at lowish RPM?[/QUOTE]

BOBS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Auto Race Red
I have a late build 2019 started doing it pretty bad....

Thanks for the vids and info, If you can share what was your build date and do you have 3:15 or 3:55 gears. Our 15 GT had the same noise Ford did a short block then other problems and they took good care of us with a buy back putting us in a 2017 Gt. We now have a 19 on order with delivery 1/11/19 (Friday) hoping no tic
Sponsored