Sponsored

Jalopnik: What's Causing This Strange 'Typewriter Tick' in the New Ford Mustang Engines

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Publicity is good, however Jalopnik is not a great site. I stopped visiting it quite a while ago as I found their articles very opinionated. It was rare to see one that was not the authors slanted view. You can tell the type of readers just based on the comments on that article. Also the story itself was something you would see from the eighth grade school lunch room....just really bad. Now if it were an investigative article with some real facts and comments from Ford, that would be worth its weight in gold. All it had was one lousy clip of an engine running and some comments from the poster. At least there were some commenters that said you can't deduce anything just from listening to it.

It would be great if Ford responds to their inquiry, but my opinion is that sadly, this will fade away and nothing will come from it
On Jalopnik - different strokes for different folks and all but I hear what you're saying. Personally, I think regardless of who reported on this issue it would fade away after a few days. That's just life today. The thing about facts though we do have them, which the article linked out to. People don't like to hear the "facts" though from my experience and Ford certainly doesn't seem to want to come forward about it for incredibly obvious reasons. At the end of the day though, all the owners with brand new $40K+ Mustangs with ticking motors want is the problem fixed without having to shoulder the diminished value the real fix causes. All the other back and forth is typical arguments about brand loyalty, which I personally have zero of.
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
On Jalopnik - different strokes for different folks and all but I hear what you're saying. Personally, I think regardless of who reported on this issue it would fade away after a few days. That's just life today. The thing about facts though we do have them, which the article linked out to. People don't like to hear the "facts" though from my experience and Ford certainly doesn't seem to want to come forward about it for incredibly obvious reasons. At the end of the day though, all the owners with brand new $40K+ Mustangs with ticking motors want is the problem fixed without having to shoulder the diminished value the real fix causes. All the other back and forth is typical arguments about brand loyalty, which I personally have zero of.
What link with facts?

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What link with facts?
I linked directly to a YouTuber who had their long block replaced and was quoted a negative value of $8,500. I also talked about the fact that people had various components replaced which didn't fix the problem. The article also links to the YouTube index page with countless owners with the issue, several of which confirm that a long block fixes the problem after showing cylinder wall damage and metal in their oil. Basically, all of this is out there on the links from the article. It's a simple Google or YouTube search away as well.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I linked directly to a YouTuber who had their long block replaced and was quoted a negative value of $8,500. I also talked about the fact that people had various components replaced which didn't fix the problem. The article also links to the YouTube index page with countless owners with the issue, several of which confirm that a long block fixes the problem after showing cylinder wall damage and metal in their oil. Basically, all of this is out there on the links from the article. It's a simple Google or YouTube search away as well.
Those are not facts at least into what the tick is. There is also no way to verify any of the information provided by any of the youtubers. Not saying any is untrue, but to me it is just blah blah blah. Also, are you saying that that guy you posted the link about is the first guy in history to have an engine replaced and lost value because of it? Come on, that happens on every engine replacement that is reported. It also does not happen just with Mustangs.

For you education.....some examples off the top of my head of facts about the tick would be, actual numbers of engines replaced by Ford by model and year that were tick related. A associated list of issues cited for each replaced engine. Number of buy backs and reason for the buy back and maybe the most important, root cause of the issues or at least a list of possible root causes. None of that was linked by you or any youtubers. All that is out there are people talking about the tick, talking about a short block they got (at their word) or just bitchin in general about ticks and rattles and it happens on every 2018 yadda yadda.

I have said this in the past that it is unfortunate that anyone has a problem with their car that requires major work done to it, like engine or transmission replacement. It is not fun and very frustrating I am sure, but this has been a possibility since the first car was invented. They are machines and machines break down. Now you can argue that some car makers have less flaws and Ford may not be at the top, but to think this is new...lol. Until someone from Ford, states what the ticks and rattles and whatever other noise you want to mention are and are related to insofar as an issue, it is just a bunch of noise.

I will have my Mustang in a couple months and very much look forward to it. If my engine blows up and needs to be replaced, so be it. Replaced engine or not, I will enjoy it for the thing it is and not worry about driving it.

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Also, are you saying that that guy you posted the link about is the first guy in history to have an engine replaced and lost value because of it? Come on, that happens on every engine replacement that is reported. It also does not happen just with Mustangs.
If I didn't type it, I didn't say it. You're reaching here but your statement doesn't solve anything and no offense but to me it's "blah blah blah". But I'm not here to argue with you on what YOU would do if you had issues with your motor. Your life, you do you.

None of that was linked by you or any youtubers. All that is out there are people talking about the tick, talking about a short block they got (at their word) or just bitchin in general about ticks and rattles and it happens on every 2018 yadda yadda.
I mean, in the same way you're not counting anything we're saying here as facts, which is fine by me, what you're saying is your own opinion. We all have one on the subject and I can't judge anyone else for that but feel free to do so with me. I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with my post.

I have said this in the past that it is unfortunate that anyone has a problem with their car that requires major work done to it, like engine or transmission replacement. It is not fun and very frustrating I am sure, but this has been a possibility since the first car was invented. They are machines and machines break down. Now you can argue that some car makers have less flaws and Ford may not be at the top, but to think this is new...lol.
I said this already, I have zero brand loyalty to any brand. But again what you seem to keep saying is "this isn't new, tough luck - deal" and again that's totally fine if that's your stance. Not going to argue with you about how you'd handle a situation. Me personally, I don't care if this was the billionth random car to have engine issues - I still don't feel I should shoulder any diminished value because the manufacture sold me a defective product. End of story.

Until someone from Ford, states what the ticks and rattles and whatever other noise you want to mention are and are related to insofar as an issue, it is just a bunch of noise.
Again, that's fine if it's noise to you. I actually find comfort in the FACT that I'm not the only one with the issue because I can talk with these other owners, what they've done or found, etc and help move forward. I gotta ask though, why are you still reading and commenting on posts like this if it's noise to you? Me personally, if something is noise to me, I avoid it.

I will have my Mustang in a couple months and very much look forward to it. If my engine blows up and needs to be replaced, so be it. Replaced engine or not, I will enjoy it for the thing it is and not worry about driving it.
I get it, you have a new Mustang coming and don't want to hear about issues. My suggestion for you would be to steer clear of these posts if they're annoying you. I'm certainly not posting here to start arguments about the subject but figured I'd see plenty of them. It's all good though. Enjoy that 2019 GT. PP2 sounds awesome.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If I didn't type it, I didn't say it. You're reaching here but your statement doesn't solve anything and no offense but to me it's "blah blah blah". But I'm not here to argue with you on what YOU would do if you had issues with your motor. Your life, you do you.

But you linked it twice, so yeah you may not have said it, but you seem to believe it. It would not mean anything to me if you did argue, but at least you know why.

I mean, in the same way you're not counting anything we're saying here as facts, which is fine by me, what you're saying is your own opinion. We all have one on the subject and I can't judge anyone else for that but feel free to do so with me. I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with my post.

You have it wrong, they are all opinions, yes mine included. You just don't get that they are. Whose feathers did you ruffle? I just find it both funny and strange how people like to twist information to fit their needs. You seem to either know you are doing it and don't care or you are oblivious to your unintended result.

I said this already, I have zero brand loyalty to any brand. But again what you seem to keep saying is "this isn't new, tough luck - deal" and again that's totally fine if that's your stance. Not going to argue with you about how you'd handle a situation. Me personally, I don't care if this was the billionth random car to have engine issues - I still don't feel I should shoulder any diminished value because the manufacture sold me a defective product. End of story.

What you are talking about is a totally different topic. Get a clue....tick does not mean diminished value. You nor anyone else and draw a line from tick to engine replacement. That is a fact btw. Unfortunately, there will be a percent of engines to fail for varies components. The owners will have "tough luck" and need to "deal" with it. As I mentioned, that is not fun I'm sure to go through, but yeah that is the way it is and also btw another fact.

Again, that's fine if it's noise to you. I actually find comfort in the FACT that I'm not the only one with the issue because I can talk with these other owners, what they've done or found, etc and help move forward. I gotta ask though, why are you still reading and commenting on posts like this if it's noise to you? Me personally, if something is noise to me, I avoid it.

Hey you found a real fact congrats! Why am I still commenting....no different than you. If you did not want to have a diverse reaction, you should not have posted it....or did you think everyone would and does agree with you? The real reason I posted to yours was when you said you posted a link to facts...which was and still is an incorrect statement. I take exception to anyone creating facts to suit their argument or position. Now if you said you posted what others are saying or doing about their individual experience, then I would have not taken issue with it.

I get it, you have a new Mustang coming and don't want to hear about issues. My suggestion for you would be to steer clear of these posts if they're annoying you. I'm certainly not posting here to start arguments about the subject but figured I'd see plenty of them. It's all good though. Enjoy that 2019 GT. PP2 sounds awesome.
LOL.....you really seem to have a narrow view on things. I am very interested about the noises and what they mean, but only in the facts. To me so far some engines have been replaced which not good is normal. No one has linked the replacements to any particular noise so to me it is just information without any resolution. I encourage you to keep trying to get Ford to open up on what they do know and if anything specific is cause the noises and engine failures that is not typical/expected. Maybe the your local news channel would be the better place to go. You want an investigation, not a forum fest. Lastly thanks, it should be pretty cool.

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
LOL.....you really seem to have a narrow view on things. I am very interested about the noises and what they mean, but only in the facts. To me so far some engines have been replaced which not good is normal. No one has linked the replacements to any particular noise so to me it is just information without any resolution. I encourage you to keep trying to get Ford to open up on what they do know and if anything specific is cause the noises and engine failures that is not typical/expected. Maybe the your local news channel would be the better place to go. You want an investigation, not a forum fest. Lastly thanks, it should be pretty cool.
Ha ditto, my friend. Yeah I'm honestly going to wait and see what Ford comes back with on my actual car but it's great to have all this open dialog.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It would be great if Ford responds to their inquiry, but my opinion is that sadly, this will fade away and nothing will come from it
Just like it fades away and reappears over and over since 2011 when the typewriter tick first appeared in the Coyote and Roadrunner (Boss 302).

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're talking about the 2000 RPM rattle here, not the BBQ tick / typewriter tick which the article is about. Two different issues. The 2011 - 2017 Coyotes don't have the plasma coated aluminum cylinders, and don't have the 2000 RPM rattle.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just like it fades away and reappears over and over since 2011 when the typewriter tick first appeared in the Coyote and Roadrunner (Boss 302).
You are probably right as people with pre 18's say they have heard that tick as well.

Sponsored

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You're talking about the 2000 RPM rattle here, not the BBQ tick / typewriter tick which the article is about. Two different issues. The 2011 - 2017 Coyotes don't have the plasma coated aluminum cylinders, and don't have the 2000 RPM rattle.
Not sure if you quoted the right post but I am talking about the tick because I have it on my 2018. I'm also the guy who submitted the article to Jalopnik. That's my video.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if you quoted the right post but I am talking about the tick because I have it on my 2018. I'm also the guy who submitted the article to Jalopnik. That's my video.
Yeah, I know. Your post #18 comment I responded to mentions out of round and scored cylinders. That's not what the Jalopnik article is about, so having links to 2018+ 2000K RPM rattles and scored cylinders has nothing to do with the random typewriter tick at idle like the Jalopnik article addresses.

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, I know. Your post #18 comment I responded to mentions out of round and scored cylinders. That's not what the Jalopnik article is about, so having links to 2018+ 2000K RPM rattles and scored cylinders has nothing to do with the random typewriter tick at idle like the Jalopnik article addresses.
People with the tick have scoring too. Here's one example. His tick vid:
His engine replacement vid with scoring shots:

Up to you guys for whatever you want to believe.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People with the tick have scoring too. Here's one example. His tick vid:
His engine replacement vid with scoring shots:

Up to you guys for whatever you want to believe.
I've been reading and discussing these engine noises for 4 years here. A 2018 can have just the BBQ tick, or just the 2000 RPM rattle, or both

There has never been a Coyote that has had scored and out of round cylinders and only had the BBQ tick at idle and zero engine noises above idle. As said before, pre-2018s don't have the 2000 RPM rattle, and don't have reports of scored cylinders. That's a Gen3, 2018+ issue.

BOBS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Auto Race Red
I've been reading and discussing these engine noises for 4 years here. A 2018 can have just the BBQ tick, or just the 2000 RPM rattle, or both

There has never been a Coyote that has had scored and out of round cylinders and only had the BBQ tick at idle and zero engine noises above idle. As said before, pre-2018s don't have the 2000 RPM rattle, and don't have reports of scored cylinders. That's a Gen3, 2018+ issue.
Our 2015 GT had the tic then at 1,500 miles 2K rattle ford replaced the engine it had scored cylinder walls piston slap ( There words)
20170310_150947.jpg
on # 3- 6-7. They took great care of us did a buy back and put us in a new 17 that we just traded in for a 2019 GT on 1/9/19
Sponsored