Sponsored

Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
As a 40 something who's only ever owned 'prestige' vehicles before, the mustang's college-kid / mullet vibe was initally a deal breaker, but the 18's look great and ultimately they're a super fun cheap car that can be cheaply modded up to crazy HP

The only middle age guys I feel bad for are the ones driving 4 cylinder CVT appliances, clearly getting zero enjoyment out of their drive
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm interesting! I'm inline with everyone else. Guys exclusively at extreme edges of the age spectrum. Teens and retirees LOL

I'm 27 and still in the dating scene. I find myself disclosing my auto/motorcycle stuff at the very last possible moment and it's still a touchy subject. Not sure if it's my millennial generation or the whole car scene in general these days.
The person that you're going on a date with shouldn't be worried about the type of car that you are driving as a condition of going out on a date with you. If they do then leave them on the curb. I never even mention what I have, and on a first date I usually pick them up in my daily accord.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I still enjoy seeing people in really nice cars like Lexus, Mercedes, Vettes, or even the new Mustang GT loaded out then pulling into an apartment complex.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Everybody assumes I'm in a mid-life crisis. Maybe I am. Guess it depends on how y'all see it. I've always been pretty broke-ass, and since I don't even do car payments, my budget for cars has been abysmal. Shitboxes and crapwagons, mostly.

Only relatively recently have I had enough money to buy something like this Mustang. I'd have had 'em in my youth if I could have afforded them.

Sometimes folks only get interesting/fast/nice/whatever cars in middle age because they were scrounging for couch cushion money to buy Nattie Ice when they were in their 20s. No cash left for a decent ride.

And anyway, my car is still slow, basic, and doesn't impress anybody - even car guys (much less women) - because it's a cheapie, isn't supercharged/turbocharged, and isn't an exotic or something. But at least it's more fun to drive than a late 90s corolla or something.

Edit: and like several others in here, no doubt, my wife hates my car. Loathes it. She says it's loud, obnoxious, rides like brick on wheels, wastes far too much of my time that could be better served doing something she wants (presumably), and the way I drive it makes her fearful for her life.

Whatever.

Sponsored

Hudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2018 Ford Edge Titanium AWD
Age is just a number. People that buy material items to attract wonen need to work on their self-esteem. I’m 49 years old and I’m happily married. I worked hard for many years to raise my kids and build a good life for my family and I. I honestly don’t give a damn what anyone thinks about my Mustang. It’s my money. I’ll buy whatever I want.

I run into similar attitudes from people that think every middle age guy that goes to the gym is out to pick up women or they are egomaniacs because they place an emphasis on living a healthy lifestyle, it’s like they believe every man over 40 should sit on the couch, drink beer and eat trash until death comes knocking. No thanks.

My advice? Be you. Don’t worry about what others think.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think there's a difference between having a mid-life crisis and just being perpetually immature :)

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
Edit: and like several others in here, no doubt, my wife hates my car. Loathes it. She says it's loud, obnoxious, rides like brick on wheels, wastes far too much of my time that could be better served doing something she wants (presumably), and the way I drive it makes her fearful for her life.

Whatever.
Haha, my wife despises my Mustang.

"The neighbors will all hate you when it wakes them in the morning."
"You are going to get a million tickets."
"You're going to crash and die."
"Why not something cool like a Corolla, my Mom's Corolla is 20 years old and never has any problems."

And my personal favorite:
"Does it even have a trunk?"

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I was just chatting on Face Book (kinda slow at work right now) about how some women I know have rather snide attitudes about older guys with Mustangs.

"I love it when females I know toss out hints about how they perceive middle-aged men in Mustangs/Camaros/etc. Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth.

The easiest way to deflect the non-sense is to mention that such cars attract other dudes virtually exclusively. It takes too long to explain the fun/hobby/relaxation/enjoyment, etc. to people that view cars as nothing more than a necessary evil."

I think that most car-guys experience such silly crap. Thoughts?

Funnyest car thing I ever saw was a race prepped Miata with a big "I am not gay" sticker on the back bumper.

Plus everyone knows the the real dirty old men drive Corvettes or Porsches.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Haha, my wife despises my Mustang.

"The neighbors will all hate you when it wakes them in the morning."
"You are going to get a million tickets."
"You're going to crash and die."
"Why not something cool like a Corolla, my Mom's Corolla is 20 years old and never has any problems."

And my personal favorite:
"Does it even have a trunk?"
Bummer, my wife actually encourages me to get these kinds of cars, in fact, when I bought my Z06 several years ago, it was her that convinced me to do a museum/NCM delivery!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In general, many women don't understand why men like cars. However, I think the mid life crisis thing might hit the nail on the head for me personally. I've always driven and owned Mustangs, but many people give them up for some time to have kids, etc. In my opinion that's a compliment to a guy - that he's willing to drive a cheap POS so that his family can have more of what they want. I did drive really old and cheap Mustangs for many years because most of my money went elsewhere. But I've had my '70 Mustang for 30 years. I just wasn't ever willing to sell it.

I personally started buying newer/nicer cars after one of my coworkers killed himself, so I think that could be considered a mid-life crisis. What am I saving all my money for and why should I always put someone else's wants in front of mine? Now I set aside a certain amount of money for savings and after that I will spend it on what I want.

So - I guess my Mustang is a mid life crisis mobile. I don't mind admitting it.

BuffBakerGA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
I agree with Hack...

Friends and neighbors are like "You're 46, are you having a mid-life crisis?" No, I've loved the S550 since the first photo back in 2014, convertible Magnetic on Foundrys. I just respond with "Call it what you want, I've been looking at this car for years and finally bought one... I've got a GT, you don't....bye!"

People don't realize that my age says 46 but my mind and my body still say 26...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP