2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Eh, haters gonna hate, bitches gonna bitch...

I've always had some type of performance car in my life, that's just me. I'll be old AF with a cane hobbling out of my McLaren. IDGAF.
FWIW, my daily is a kinda crusty lookin' Acura (my 4th). IDGAF what the Audi Q7 next to me on the highway is thinking either...

You do you OP, get in your car after your shift, Fire up all 8 cylinders (or 6, or 4 with a turbo) and enjoy your ride home.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
So we are young and have little money, going to school or working a first job that pays squat. Lucky to have any car much less a nice one. When we hit the 30s and need a sensible 4 door sedan because of family, kids, etc. Still working at a job that allows a decent living but no extravagances. Then we are in our 50s and empty-nesters, finally with the means to buy a car like this and some slack-jaw says something like that? Maybe it's really about how those women are miserable with their own life, and are jealous of older men with their Mustangs.
Quoting from the front page. This nails it. The whole "midlife crisis" line is BS most of the time. It implies that the man somehow feels he hasn't accomplished what he wants in life and is compensating with a sports car. More likely he always wanted the impractical sports car but gave it up for something practical. Now you are at an age where you have the money and your family obligations have decreased, so you get one. That's it.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I still enjoy seeing people in really nice cars like Lexus, Mercedes, Vettes, or even the new Mustang GT loaded out then pulling into an apartment complex.
Well, that guy would be me. I moved states because I took a job I had been chasing for over a year. We are currently renting while the long term decision is being established as to if we will remain in this area for more than a few years. Plus the housing market is shit here (S FL, hardly any undeveloped land and people are flocking here) so I don’t think it’s a good idea to drop $200-$250k on a 60 year old 2/2 home in a less than desirable area. And no, right now I couldn’t comfortably afford a mortgage greater than that for a “nicer” area. But my apartment is nice, in a decent place and a short commute so why not have the car I want...

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'm 52 now and had my first mustang when I was 22, a brand new 89 GT, white with a gray cloth interior and a 5 speed. When we are young and if we are fortunate enough to afford a performance car, we get one. Then life gets in the way, marriage, mortgage, kids, college tuition, etc. Then one day the kids are grown and gone and now you can afford another toy, but this time it's not your DD and you can put it away in the winter. I don't think that is having a mid life crisis, more like being a responsible adult and putting the family's needs before your own.

I have noticed recently that more and more of the younger crowd frowns upon my choice of vehicle, as long as they keep their opinions to themselves I just ignore them. It's when they open their mouth and try to force their opinions on me I have an issue.

Case in point, back in July I was coming home from local show and shine event and stopped at a shell station to get fuel. When I pulled in, my exhaust was loud and obnoxious and I was blaring south of heaven by slayer of the sound system. This mid twenties snowflake got mad and tried to shame me for driving such a loud gas guzzling car. Now I'm a polite person until you get in my face and start to try and force your opinions on me, then I go off. I basically told her that if she would pull her head out of her ass and take a look at the world around her she would realize that nobody in the real world gives a f**k what they think. In the end she went back to her little hooptie kia in tears, regretting she ever opened her mouth. Other customers at the pumps cheered when she walked away crying and that was the icing on the cake.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
When a woman starts to tell me what they think, I put my finger to her lips and whisper .... Get back in the kitchen.

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I'm in my very late 30s and have only ever had sports cars (see signature). When I bought my '18 GT last month, the first thing one of my buddies said was "mid life crisis". My wife has also made the same joke a time or two. I have to remind them that I've always only had sports cars since I was 16, and this is just continuing that lineage. Not that I care, because I know better, it's not a mid life crisis, it's a bad a$$ car with a lot of power and looks amazing going fast or slow.
This is similar to me. When I had much less money I had an SVT Focus as a DD, then I had a new WRX, 2014 Audi S4, CTS-V. I got the mustang because my kids don't ride with me much anymore and I don't care about having 4 doors anymore.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well.....

This thread blew the f@*k up in short order!!!

Despite starting this thread, it is very difficult to explain how much I don't care about what other people think about what I drive. It's for me, my hobby, my love of driving and the vehicle I do it in.

The inspiration for this thread was just 2 or 3 interactions over the past several years here in NoVa, where cars are seen as a necessary evil.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This mid twenties snowflake got mad and tried to shame me for driving such a loud gas guzzling car.
Yeah, loud is subjective (most of the bikers around here have __way__ louder rides), and at the end of the day, I probably do way more to help the planet and humanity than a self-righteous Kia driver. I work from home so no daily commute, we recycle, I fix everything I can vs. throwing out, I re-channel things into the used market or give away to people in need, we (me and my wife's company) donate $1000s to various charities (probably more in a year than she has/will in her lifetime)

So at the end of the day, if I want a little rumble and to consume a little more gas? I will thank-you-very-much. :D

Is it ok if I PM pics - don’t want it all over internet.
Too late. You know that little box on the wall with the LED? That's not a smoke detector ...

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="MaskedRacerX, post: 2413142, member: 1865

Too late. You know that little box on the wall with the LED? That's not a smoke detector ...[/QUOTE]

mmmmmm- interesting pics... nice positioning

btw what IS that thing in your GF's hand?

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I agree with Hack...

Friends and neighbors are like "You're 46, are you having a mid-life crisis?" No, I've loved the S550 since the first photo back in 2014, convertible Magnetic on Foundrys. I just respond with "Call it what you want, I've been looking at this car for years and finally bought one... I've got a GT, you don't....bye!"

People don't realize that my age says 46 but my mind and my body still say 26...
I'm 57. I owned: a 1970 Olds 442 W29, 1975 Camaro RS, 1978 Z28, 1987 Z28, 1989 IROC-Z 5.7, 2001 WS6 T/A, 2004 Mustang GT Conv., 1979 Firebird Formula 406 (still have). Of course I have a chryslermini van daily, but really, what else would anyone expect me to drive after that list?

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
I am 57 years old and all my life I have admired the mustang and, in general, the muscle car, but for some things or others I had never considered buying one.
Until...in the last 4 years I have been hit by a bicycle by a car that did not stop at a stop sign, until that date I had never had any accident and that was about 20000 km annually. As a result, 28 broken bones, including cervical vertebrae, 2 pneumothorax and a ruptured artery and 6 months in a wheelchair.
A year and a half later, when the worst of this accident was over, I was diagnosed with choledochal cancer, 9 hours of surgery and 6 months with chemotherapy...So that's when I thought, what can I do better than buy a Mustang? And so I did and I'm very happy.
The waiting time from the purchase until I was delivered the car, while I was with chemotherapy, I spent surfing the Internet, looking for information about the car and all the amount of sweets I could put once I had it and now is what I'm doing ... and every time I pulse the start button...:):)

For all this, and as my wife says, this car brought me back to life, is not just "a car" for me.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
The inspiration for this thread was just 2 or 3 interactions over the past several years here in NoVa, where cars are seen as a necessary evil.
Ahhh yes the car hater set. Here is 1 of the few advantages of living in the Mid-West. Fewer of them! For those here who think they are being "progressive", I'm happy to show them the map of environmental damage of electric versus gas cars found here among other places:

https://www.citylab.com/environment...ly-cause-more-pollution-than-gas-cars/397136/

When I add in that I usually work from home and thus only drive 1/3 or less than them...between the 2 it usually shuts them down.

PS I bought the Mustang for 3 reasons. 1) Wife wanted a Vert for a long time but is stuck with her Honda Pilot due to kid duties so I compromised on my desire for the coupe 2) Saving $40-50K versus an M3/RS5 Vert for the same performance AND having an almost blank canvas to modify? Priceless! 3) The 2015+ and even more so 2018+ Mustang has reached the level of technology and capability where it's a legit alternative to zee Germans (and Asian German copies).

Last edited:

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I'm totally unconcerned with a so-called carbon footprint. I enjoy my life. If others don't like it they can go away.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I think that most car-guys experience such silly crap. Thoughts?
I think it's a stereotype that to some degree is relevant to pretty much any sports car that is less practical than Toyota Camry.

It does not matter what people think, it matters what you think people think.

P.S. I was considering a zmustang and another Japanese sports car.

In that process I did my research of looking around and checking what kinds of people drive these cars in my area.

I ruled Japanese car our really quick as I would we out of whack with majority of stereotypes in those cars.

I was really surprised by wide range of people driving mustangs.
Sponsored