MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Women buy things because they are vane, they act & do things constantly for attention. Since they day women start school they are into pageantry from an early age. Most adult males, don't give a phuk what other's think... about what they are driving.
Welcome time traveler from 30 years ago!
Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
The sooner you stop giving a shit about what others think about you the better your life will be.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I am "late middle aged" -

and last summer I was driving on the motorway (freeway to you guys) and a girl leaned out of the passenger window - shouted "nice car" and then flashed her breasts at me

does that count?

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
I turn 69 next week and my wire just rolled her eyes two weeks ago when I told her I had bought another GT. Last night we went out to eat for her first ride in it. On the way home she said that she understood that this was truly a “fun” car.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
So we are young and have little money, going to school or working a first job that pays squat. Lucky to have any car much less a nice one. When we hit the 30s and need a sensible 4 door sedan because of family, kids, etc. Still working at a job that allows a decent living but no extravagances. Then we are in our 50s and empty-nesters, finally with the means to buy a car like this and some slack-jaw says something like that? Maybe it's really about how those women are miserable with their own life, and are jealous of older men with their Mustangs.
Exactly this...I drove beater Mustangs as a youth and then once I had kids I had to trade in for bigger vehicles that could handle two car-seats. Now that my kids are driving I am back where I started - in a Mustang and where I will remain old man stigma or not.....

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have never bought a car and cared about what others thought about it. However, back when I had my 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, my wife hated the fact that Dwight from The Office also drove one, and she associated my car with that image, so she began to really hate it and was happy when I decided to sell it.

Last night we were finishing up our marathon viewing of The Office, having never actually watched the entire series. When we got to the series finale, Dwight was driving a newish Challenger, which for a moment my wife thought was a new Mustang. She told me thankfully it wasn't, because it would have ruined her image of me and my Mustang for her.

She isn't the biggest fan of the Mustang to begin with, so phew, because Dwight could've really screwed it up for me ;) Other than me, she has the only opinion that counts.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I am "late middle aged" -

and last summer I was driving on the motorway (freeway to you guys) and a girl leaned out of the passenger window - shouted "nice car" and then flashed her breasts at me

does that count?
Dude... you just quoted Rat Race... C'mon man...

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I gave up caring what other people think after 20+ years of Grand National / Syclone ownership. I got plenty of crap about driving pimped out Regals and low-rider S-10's with a body kit. Hell the Mustang is a big step up cosmetically from them even if a middle-aged man is driving it.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Frankly, I could care less what anyone thinks about what I drive...or have driven. I had a Corvette Grand Sport in my 20's and certainly wasn't in a "mid-life crisis". I think the folks who make comments about what people drive are either idiots or jealous...and most likely both!

Sorry....caught me without my Geritol...; )

Tim

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So we are young and have little money, going to school or working a first job that pays squat. Lucky to have any car much less a nice one. When we hit the 30s and need a sensible 4 door sedan because of family, kids, etc. Still working at a job that allows a decent living but no extravagances. Then we are in our 50s and empty-nesters, finally with the means to buy a car like this and some slack-jaw says something like that? Maybe it's really about how those women are miserable with their own life, and are jealous of older men with their Mustangs.
This.

And, on the bold, these types often seem so bitter and miserable with their own life that they need to try to make others so as well....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I was just chatting on Face Book (kinda slow at work right now) about how some women I know have rather snide attitudes about older guys with Mustangs.

"I love it when females I know toss out hints about how they perceive middle-aged men in Mustangs/Camaros/etc. Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth.

The easiest way to deflect the non-sense is to mention that such cars attract other dudes virtually exclusively. It takes too long to explain the fun/hobby/relaxation/enjoyment, etc. to people that view cars as nothing more than a necessary evil."

I think that most car-guys experience such silly crap. Thoughts?
If such silly crap was there during any portion of my driving life - I've been married for most of it and half my age any more is 35 and change - I never paid much attention to it. Must be over 45 years since the one time I do remember (a single guy who worked in the same department as I once questioned the mods I was doing to the car I had at the time). Wish I could remember what I answered him back with.

I think if I was in your situation I'd mention that those who have never driven any car very hard just aren't going to understand. No matter what explanation is given. Though I might offer to "educate" them and give them a demonstration of what an easy 0.7 or so lateral g's feels like. All those new suspension mods ought to help you :wink:

Norm

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Dude... you just quoted Rat Race... C'mon man...

WOW ! never seen that one before! (maybe we didnt get that in the UK?) thanks though , great clip"

Reactions: Ebm