Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Some new Aviator news was released and confirmed the 3.0L TT V6 with 400hp/400tq and a (plugin) hybrid version making 450hp/600tq. If that is based on the exact same engine, I'm really excited for what it could mean for the Mustang when it comes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...brid-and-points-to-fords-future/#76245c0b16a1
All Aviators for North America will be equipped with the same 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 found in the MKZ and Continental. That variant of Ford’s “Nano” family generates 400-hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. The new Aviator Grand Touring is where things start to get interesting. The Grand Touring model is Lincoln’s first plug-in hybrid and the most powerful production model ever from the brand.
All of the previous Ford and Lincoln hybrid hybrids utilized a two-motor power-split hybrid transaxle similar to that found in the Toyota Prius but the Aviator has something quite different. Ford had already previously announced plans to offer hybrid versions of the F-150 and Mustang from 2020 onward. John Davis, chief program engineer for the Aviator declined to discuss if this is the same system that will appear in the pickup and sports car, but it seems likely that it is.
Referred to as the modular hybrid architecture, the new system is based on the existing 10-speed automatic transmission already offered in the F-150 and Mustang. An electric motor is added between the torque convertor and gearbox to provide electric drive and regenerative braking. This approach leaves open the possibility to use different sized motors for different applications and Davis declined to give much detail on the Aviator setup other than to say it would generate more than 450 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque.
No information is being revealed at this time about the capacity of the battery or specifics of its construction. However, Davis did acknowledge that 50 km (31 miles) of electric range is a crucial threshold for incentives in China and this is a global vehicle. That said, we can probably count on at least 16-20 kWh of battery capacity and somewhere around 32-35 miles of electric driving. Like most plug in hybrids, there is no DC fast charging support, just 120V or 240V charging.
https://www.motor1.com/news/279504/2020-lincoln-aviator-videos/
Lincoln’s very first plug-in hybrid, the eco-friendly SUV retains the design of its conventionally powered siblings while combining the twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 with hybrid tech. It will offer a projected 450 horsepower and a generous 600 pound-feet (813 Newton-meters) of torque, which should prove to be more than enough for those shopping in the midsize luxury SUV segment
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Given Fords (now) favoured approach of sharing as many components as possible across models, it would make sense to utilise this setup for Aviator/Explorer/F150/Mustang

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Given Fords (now) favoured approach of sharing as many components as possible across models, it would make sense to utilise this setup for Aviator/Explorer/F150/Mustang
For 50 HP it would be preferred IMO if they could spend the money on light weighting rather than adding a bunch of weight and complexity for a minor HP increase.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
For 50 HP it would be preferred IMO if they could spend the money on light weighting rather than adding a bunch of weight and complexity for a minor HP increase.
It's more for the 200TQ than the 50HP.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's more for the 200TQ than the 50HP.
Not sure why you would want more torque when the gears already multiply torque and the current setup has enough torque to fry the rear tires. Unless you're going to AWD, more torque just means you won't be able to put your foot to the floor without electronic nannies getting involved.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why you would want more torque when the gears already multiply torque and the current setup has enough torque to fry the rear tires. Unless you're going to AWD, more torque just means you won't be able to put your foot to the floor without electronic nannies getting involved.
In the new Aviator, AWD is standard on the PHEV. If they add this system to the Mustang, it should follow suit. The Mustang has reached the power level where AWD would make sense. Especially when boosted. Count me in if they do!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
In the new Aviator, AWD is standard on the PHEV. If they add this system to the Mustang, it should follow suit. The Mustang has reached the power level where AWD would make sense. Especially when boosted. Count me in if they do!
While I tend to agree that the mustang has reached the AWD "required" level in order to properly utilize the power, I do not think an AWD Mustang will happen with this drivetrain setup. The electric motor is built into the 10 speed trans and then from there they are using a transfer case for AWD in the aviator. I would think an AWD mustang would include something more like the rumored C8 corvette with RWD and an electric motor on the front wheels. I could be wrong though and they add a transfer case in the mustang.

Theoretically, that electrified 10 speed could be put behind any engine and convert it into a hybrid with a 50hp 200tq power increase. So say the coyote stays at its current power level, that would mean a hybrid coyote with 510hp and 620tq. A hybrid EB would have 360hp and 550tq. Put that in a car that drops 200-300 lbs and have it be a non plug in hybrid and I would be sold.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Everything comes at a price. Are you willing to pay a good bit extra for AWD and also pay the penalty for fattening up an already heavy car?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Everything comes at a price. Are you willing to pay a good bit extra for AWD and also pay the penalty for fattening up an already heavy car?
I would. It would be a monster with boost, and could be driven year round in the north.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agreed. I'd much rather see the car trimmed down as much as possible in size and weight and a transaxle added for better weight balance rather than plumping it up even more. A transaxle would even help with traction limitations of the current platform.

I'd pay more for a lighter, smaller car with a transaxle and 50/50 weight balance. A hybrid is a lot less interesting.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I'd much rather see the car trimmed down as much as possible in size and weight and a transaxle added for better weight balance rather than plumping it up even more. A transaxle would even help with traction limitations of the current platform.

I'd pay more for a lighter, smaller car with a transaxle and 50/50 weight balance. A hybrid is a lot less interesting.
True, really I could care less about the Hybrid part. Just give us an AWD option, or at least 50/50 distribution.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

We need more people that think like you

Screw AWD, I don't want that crap in my sports car. Give me a manual V8 RWD mustang with a bit less trunk space and a transaxle, and I'll be happy

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
31 seconds. This has been out there for a while. John McElroy is a legend in Detroit automotive circles.
True.....this thread started with it being reported that SOP would be March 2022, but now it's May 2022 (not that 2 months is a big deal when we're talking 3+ years from now, but its tough to get a clear picture on next-gen Mustang news :bandit: )
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.