Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well, yes, it is amazing. We mostly talk camaro v mustang here. Is the black vette not a point that the futuristic mustang designs in this forum are trending toward? I think vette has a stronger badge identity in the market than camaro. The C6G has some line blurring with it’s chevy older sibling, the corvette. Let’s note that C6G is a sales disappointment for Chevy. My point is, corvettes (and anything trending toward the vette) is a smaller market segment than the 2+2 fastback with usable trunk. Keep Mustangs mustang.

The Mustang is so sales and badge successful that people just can’t layoff trying to morph it into something else, assuming that will not affect the identity and sales success. It will. Mustang got where it is being mustang. If you want a vette or a porsche buy one and drive safe. Keep mustangs mustang. If you redesign mustang trending exotic, the market share decreases, the price increases, and the badge identity is lost.

Get your head out of the trunk. Mustang is a favorite car of all time for many. It is for me. I don’t want a Vette, C6G, Porsche, BMW, Audi, or Lexus. I want a Ford Mustang. IMO everything else sucks, mainly because all the cars I don’t want are far more costly than Mustang and have very poor fun/$ and HP/$ ratios compared to Mustang. On total cost of ownership Mustang is the envy of the performance market. Stop screwing with the winner and get on the road.

The Mustang used to be the best bang for the buck but isn’t anymore. Sales figures mean nothing to me when shopping for a performance car. The Corvette is the better car, all things being equal. I’m a base car guy and I probably spent the least buying a new S550 than most here. And I probably get the most out of it too. But it ain’t no Vette. I have to pay more than twice that to get there but it is a better car.

Paying twice what I paid for a maxed out GT is not double my car at all. It is worth it for a base Corvette though. Apples and oranges.

A Mustang EV is another thing all together though...
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang is so sales and badge successful that people just can’t layoff trying to morph it into something else, assuming that will not affect the identity and sales success. It will. Mustang got where it is being mustang. If you want a vette or a porsche buy one and drive safe. Keep mustangs mustang. If you redesign mustang trending exotic, the market share decreases, the price increases, and the badge identity is lost.
People said the same thing about the S550, yet it's grossly outselling the "retro" generation that preceded it. Don't be so afraid of change

The Mustang used to be the best bang for the buck but isn’t anymore. Sales figures mean nothing to me when shopping for a performance car. The Corvette is the better car, all things being equal. I’m a base car guy and I probably spent the least buying a new S550 than most here. And I probably get the most out of it too. But it ain’t no Vette. I have to pay more than twice that to get there but it is a better car.

Paying twice what I paid for a maxed out GT is not double my car at all. It is worth it for a base Corvette though. Apples and oranges
Seems you aren't too familiar with the high performance variants of the mustang. Drive a PP2 ($15k less than the Vette) or GT350 alongside a base vette and try again. The potential might not be as great, but the raw performance out of the box is quite a difference

And it seems you are more of a straight-line acceleration type of guy, so keep in mind a stingray is a driver's race with a mustang. There's no serious difference in acceleration. I've beaten a C7 and lost to another in the same day, but both the win and loss were by less than a car

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Seems you aren't too familiar with the high performance variants of the mustang. Drive a PP2 ($15k less than the Vette) or GT350 alongside a base vette and try again. The potential might not be as great, but the raw performance out of the box is quite a difference

And it seems you are more of a straight-line acceleration type of guy, so keep in mind a stingray is a driver's race with a mustang. There's no serious difference in acceleration. I've beaten a C7 and lost to another in the same day, but both the win and loss were by less than a car

Whatever. It’s a Mustang fan forum. On other car forums the comparisons would be different. There are other cars out there that are just as good it not better.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
On other car forums the comparisons would be different.
No, it wouldn't. I mean, you can try a neutral medium at this link and see that the GT350 came out on top while being $14k cheaper
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-page-2

And keep in mind, the PP2 puts down (for the sake of avoiding screaming GT350 fanboys) *similar* performance to the GT350 for another $12k less (that's a total of $27k saved to have a better performing car than a Corvette), the performance per dollar in the modern pony car segment can't be beaten.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No, it wouldn't. I mean, you can try a neutral medium at this link and see that the GT350 came out on top while being $14k cheaper
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-page-2

And keep in mind, the PP2 puts down (for the sake of avoiding screaming GT350 fanboys) *similar* performance to the GT350 for another $12k less (that's a total of $27k saved to have a better performing car than a Corvette), the performance per dollar in the modern pony car segment can't be beaten.

Whatever.

I never met anyone who raced Mustangs on a race course till a few years ago (Mustangs and Ford GTs). They did so in go karts and Honda’s back in the day. One go karter made it to Indy and CART but he started in go karts. The guys in Honda/Michelin were sponsored and none drove Mustangs. Only one successful go kart racer had one. They cut their teeth on lesser cars.

One guy I used to work with was a champion track racer and never drove a Mustang. Owning a Mustang doesn’t make you a better driver. You can’t buy talent and ability.

Oh forget it...

Last edited:

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
None of that has ANY relevance whatsoever to your claim of the Mustang NOT being one of the best performance bargains you can buy

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods

Paying twice what I paid for a maxed out GT is not double my car at all. It is worth it for a base Corvette though. Apples and oranges.

We are 2017 V6 Mustang brothers. Mine was a lot purchase, 6 speed paddle shift AT, $24K even. I am hard pressed to say what you and I drive is not the best bang for the buck. Like you I get a lot out of mine and am surprised with how much performance it packs. I never said a Mustang was a Corvette. I said if you want one (vette) buy one. I agree with your "Paying twice... is not double my car at all." statement. Your apples and oranges point is valid in my mind also. In performance cars, is a corvette better than a mustang? Yes. I am talking more about the sales market factor than the stop watch factor. Ford has sold over 10 million mustangs. Corvette has been on the market ten years longer and has sold just over one million corvettes. The corvette is a better performance car. The futuristic designs shown for mustang drift away from 2+2 with usable trunk. 2+2 with usable trunk has a lot to do with 10 million units sold. That is my only point. I don't think Ford will build that weird stuff, time will tell. I would not bet one dollar on what I think. If the market was keyed only to speed then there would be 10 million corvettes running around.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
We are 2017 V6 Mustang brothers. Mine was a lot purchase, 6 speed paddle shift AT, $24K even. I am hard pressed to say what you and I drive is not the best bang for the buck. Like you I get a lot out of mine and am surprised with how much performance it packs. I never said a Mustang was a Corvette. I said if you want one (vette) buy one. I agree with your "Paying twice... is not double my car at all." statement. Your apples and oranges thought is valid in my mind also. In performance cars, is a corvette better than a mustang? Yes. I am talking more about the sales market factor than the stop watch factor. Ford has sold over 10 million mustangs. Corvette has been on the market ten years longer and has sold just over one million corvettes. The corvette is a better performance car. The futuristic designs shown for mustang drift away from 2+2 with usable trunk. That is my only point. I don't think Ford will build that weird stuff, time will tell. I would not bet one dollar on what I think.

Yes. The V6 was a surprise and more car than I need. That’s say’in something as I drive it harder than any V8 guys I see out there. I’m retirement age and for the past 31 years was paid to drive. On my fourth car today before I head home.

It’s the driver and not the car. At the top of the ladder equipment can make the difference but amongst us mortals, driving ability trumps all.

That’s all

And for what it’s worth, the V6 Mustang rocks. The most reliable car I ever owned and they are fast. The perfect daily driver and mine gets driven in the snow on the factory tires. And keep the 17” wheels as they are the fastest wheels out there from the factory for regular cars. Trust me, those larger frying pans are just a lot of inertia to get going and have more of that gyroscopic effect to keep going in the same direction. My Fox body 5.0s came with 15” rims and 225/60 Gatorbacks. I switched to 215/65 and the speedo got accurate and the car was faster and handled better. But that isn’t the current fashion, but it is science.

I need sleep...

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Yes. The V6 was a surprise and more car than I need. That’s say’in something as I drive it harder than any V8 guys I see out there. I’m retirement age and for the past 31 years was paid to drive. On my fourth car today before I head home.

It’s the driver and not the car. At the top of the ladder equipment can make the difference but amongst us mortals, driving ability trumps all.

That’s all

And for what it’s worth, the V6 Mustang rocks. The most reliable car I ever owned and they are fast. The perfect daily driver and mine gets driven in the snow on the factory tires. And keep the 17” wheels as they are the fastest wheels out there from the factory for regular cars. Trust me, those larger frying pans are just a lot of inertia to get going and have more of that gyroscopic effect to keep going in the same direction. My Fox body 5.0s came with 15” rims and 225/60 Gatorbacks. I switched to 215/65 and the speedo got accurate and the car was faster and handled better. But that isn’t the current fashion, but it is science.

I need sleep...
Well I know you went to bed. I am out of here with this also. I just want to chime in on your 17" wheel statement. You are correct. I have an extra set of summer P275-40R18 built up for my '07 GT. I fitted them on the '17. You are right! It was just experiment but, I learned the stock 5 spoke brite factory wheels are superior. They are just as you say fast, light, strong. Most guys change wheels for looks. If you want performance, stick with stock, you already own the fastest wheels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’m driving home. Get to work and the girls are smoking at this fenced off area for smokers. Leaving I see it’s now populated with these goofy tiny commercial vehicles. How they parked three in there (and two different models to boot) is beyond me. One of them probably has my name on it eventually. Then there are a fleet of four different but much larger new vehicles not too far away. This is my life.

I could tell you what I do there but then I’d have to kill you...

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

Curious why you are comparing a "maxed out" Mustang GT to a base Corvette. You can get the max performance options without all the bells and whistles, and be near or at Corvette performance for a lot less than base Corvette money. A base model GT with PP2 is 44k, a with PP1 is just above 40k. A base Corvette (equivalent comparison) starts at over $55k. There is a lot you can do with a Mustang GT for $15k or 11k that will push it to the limits.

Don't get me wrong, I really could not care less what you buy or like, but you are purposely pushing apples (fully loaded Mustang) to Oranges (no frills, base model Corvette) to make your argument sound more valid.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Well, yes, it is amazing. We mostly talk camaro v mustang here. Is the black vette not a point that the futuristic mustang designs in this forum are trending toward? I think vette has a stronger badge identity in the market than camaro. The C6G has some line blurring with it’s chevy older sibling, the corvette. Let’s note that C6G is a sales disappointment for Chevy. My point is, corvettes (and anything trending toward the vette) is a smaller market segment than the 2+2 fastback with usable trunk. Keep Mustangs mustang.

Get your head out of the trunk. Mustang is a favorite car of all time for many. It is for me. I don’t want a Vette, C6G, Porsche, BMW, Audi, or Lexus. I want a Ford Mustang. IMO everything else sucks, mainly because all the cars I don’t want are far more costly than Mustang and have very poor fun/$ and HP/$ ratios compared to Mustang. On total cost of ownership Mustang is the envy of the performance market. Stop screwing with the winner and get on the road.
I only said that the vette looks nice and I get this rambling tirade! :)

Last edited:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Curious why you are comparing a "maxed out" Mustang GT to a base Corvette. You can get the max performance options without all the bells and whistles, and be near or at Corvette performance for a lot less than base Corvette money. A base model GT with PP2 is 44k, a with PP1 is just above 40k. A base Corvette (equivalent comparison) starts at over $55k. There is a lot you can do with a Mustang GT for $15k or 11k that will push it to the limits.

Don't get me wrong, I really could not care less what you buy or like, but you are purposely pushing apples (fully loaded Mustang) to Oranges (no frills, base model Corvette) to make your argument sound more valid.
I already pointed this out and in response got a bunch of rambling about how money doesn't buy skill and that he just started meeting people who road race last year. Don't expect anything coherent
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.