Sponsored

Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I almost always use the paddles when I am driving for fun, no complaints other than relatively slow 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with the stock tune in all modes except drag mode. I dont like the gearing controlled by throttle input but thats what all autos do so I just go paddles and control it myself.

After a tune it may be different though I dont know yet. Im sure the tune will fix the slow 1-2 and 2-3
How slow is slow and is this at full throttle? Have you data logged the shift times especially compared to manual transmission shifts?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
How slow is slow and is this at full throttle? Have you data logged the shift times especially compared to manual transmission shifts?
The car pulls like 20-30* of timing on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at full throttle for torque management, its pretty bad, but if you are in dragstrip mode it doesnt pull anything and the shifts are hard as hell. It does it even with traction control off in all modes except drag. Drag mode shifts are faster than any manual car shifting , non-drag mode the 1-2 and 2-3 are unfortunately bad imo. Tune should fix it like others have said. 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 in all modes except drag are all really fast and smooth. They arent smooth in drag mode though they are just violent.

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
10,000 miles in and I still get that grin on my face when I hit the gas pedal. No jerkiness for me in Drive. Sport mode is a little much for the daily grind but fun when I have a long open stretch, no red lights, and no traffic.

Not a single regret from me!

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
I’am, I’m one of the people that have a heavy downshift from 4th into 3rd during breaking and only in the “D” position. Would I want that not to be an issue, of course but it isn’t a deal breaker for me.
I don’t have hunting, unless I start the car and drive the car ice cold this seems to be a non issue for me with in 30 seconds of driving that first time it has to shift from 2/3 and sometimes skips 4th and just goes up to fifth anticipating your going to keep accelerating and you level off the pedal quickly can be abrupt and weird feeling, but I have no issues after that first shift cycle.
Again great if it wasn’t there as an issue , but not something I’m going to go to a manual for make my experience owning the car negative.
I m older than I was years ago, have done the manual transmission from the time I was high school, and for many years and cars after, sometime ago I gave that up with age.
It’s a dream in traffic, and on long road trips to not have to row gears all the time, as a daily driver it works great, and when the feeling hits and I want a bit more “S” on the shifter gives you rev matching down shifts and bit more responsiveness.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The car pulls like 20-30* of timing on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at full throttle for torque management, its pretty bad, but if you are in dragstrip mode it doesnt pull anything and the shifts are hard as hell. It does it even with traction control off in all modes except drag. Drag mode shifts are faster than any manual car shifting , non-drag mode the 1-2 and 2-3 are unfortunately bad imo. Tune should fix it like others have said. 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 in all modes except drag are all really fast and smooth. They arent smooth in drag mode though they are just violent.
Thanks for the info. I've seen the ignition pulls in my data in autocross data using track mode.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In regard to the "age" thing even when I was in my 20's I didn't like manuals in traffic but they were part of the price to be paid for good performance in general and for open track and autocross and fun back road driving, especially with sports cars. Manual shifting was never fun for me . . . just the best means for obtaining the "right gear" for traffic or competition or back road fun driving. The 10R80 combined with the 5.0 now make a manual unnecessary for me. "Age" is relevant only because it took so many decades for this capability to finally become available. :)

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
In regard to the "age" thing even when I was in my 20's I didn't like manuals in traffic but they were part of the price to be paid for good performance in general and for open track and autocross and fun back road driving, especially with sports cars. Manual shifting was never fun for me . . . just the best means for obtaining the "right gear" for traffic or competition or back road fun driving. The 10R80 combined with the 5.0 now make a manual unnecessary for me. "Age" is relevant only because it took so many decades for this capability to finally become available. :)
I think it is more about preference than age or best "performance". There are many drivers that are better racers using a manual than others regardless of transmission. If you can beat 90% of your competition regardless of what tranny they use, why change? I agree that the best auto tranny's out there on paper are faster and maybe better in every way, but that does not mean you use it for that reason alone. Again, it is preference. I would rather lose to someone using an auto than a manual and I would never enjoy using an auto in a sports car. The 10R80 is an amazing transmission, just not for me. Just my preference, what anyone else likes is fine by me. Lastly, I would not want a manual in my wife's Honda Pilot. I do think some vehicles are meant for autos...the Pilot is certainly one of those.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
My GT was built in June this year and the nearly 2,000 miles driven so far have been fantastic. The A10 performs like a regular auto in Normal mode and like a performance auto in Sport and Track mode.

Not enough miles yet to try Drag Mode, but will very soon. Every single automatic transmission vehicle that I've owned over 40 years has quirks. This one has very few and I adjusted to those few very quickly.

No problems with 'hunting', sometimes I feel a mild push when it downshifts at low speed in lower gears, other than that I've experienced no issues that cause me any issues!

Not enough miles? Mine was at the track with 500... drag mode and all

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I had a perfect MT82 in my 2012 GT so my trade for the 2019 A10 was based more on my personal age related need (approaching 69) to get out of the stick and the much improved engine and ride of the 19 S550 over the 12 S197. So far I love the A10 and the only quirk I’ve noticed is a slight very low speed whine heard only with windows down and radio off. No longer audible past 5 mph. But I hear the whine is a common trait so I’m not worried about it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I had a perfect MT82 in my 2012 GT so my trade for the 2019 A10 was based more on my personal age related need (approaching 69) to get out of the stick and the much improved engine and ride of the 19 S550 over the 12 S197. So far I love the A10 and the only quirk I’ve noticed is a slight very low speed whine heard only with windows down and radio off. No longer audible past 5 mph. But I hear the whine is a common trait so I’m not worried about it.
Congrats on the 19. I had a 14 S197 auto premium GT. This base 300A PP1 A10 is leagues ahead in ride, performance, and value. Yeah that high pitched whine on A10 is normal.

Sponsored

eduranjr

2018 Mustang GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium and Black Appereance
Vehicle Showcase
Love it my 10R80, and with the HPipe the match rev sounds orgasmic.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
That probably isn't the converter locking up. I have HP Tuners and enabled the active gear display for sport and normal. What I noticed is from a stop in normal drive , light pedal pressure, the trans will shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th and then 6,7,8,9,10. Its in 10th by 45mph

Mine is a base GT with some aftermarket upgrades. I dont have any of the drive modes, just normal and sport for the trans

I like it. It is a little quirky though. When coming to a stop, the car downshifts and sometimes it can feel like you are getting different amounts of engine braking with each gear. Also, during light acceleration (normal mode), the torque converter is constantly adjusting mid gear trying to lock up as soon as possible (for efficiency) but this makes the RPMs drop considerably. Sometimes this isn't smooth.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I like the A10 a lot. Unfortunately, my GT with 16,xxx miles has developed some really odd behavior.

Anytime I have the shifter in S or toggle to S+, or Track. The shift from 2-3 is very jerky and makes the car lunge forward. The 4-5 shift is so hard (not a good way like a firm shift), that the jerkyness makes my foot come off the pedal and then presses it back on the gas which makes the car buck. Now, I can be is S, S+, or Track and use the paddle shifters and the results are the same! The shift from 4-5 is really violent. There are two ways I do not feel this 1) if I am at WOT (if I am at 20% or 50% throttle I can shift at 4K RPM or 6K, the shift is really harsh and jerky. 2) In DRAG MODE, if I let the car shift on its own or use the paddle shifters, the 4-5 shift is smooth as ever!

I am so confused due to this behavior. It makes the car very scary to drive because the other day I was on an on-ramp and shift the gear lever to S and pressed the gas half way, when the car shifted from 4-5, I was still on a slight curve and the rear kicked out due to the violent shift. Yes, not liking this one bit. Wonder if the trans is about to give out or is this a software issue because I cannot replicate this behavior in Drag mode.

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
I've only had the car 3 weeks and 1300 miles, but having a 1995, 1997, 1998, 5 speeds and then kids and minivans/SUVs, I drove both, really can't go wrong either way but in my case, the 10A is one of the finest transmissions I've driven.
You do need to 'learn' what to expect when changing drive modes, as they have a Major impact on the 10A's behavior and thus your expectations. I'm still not experienced enough on each to give even a modest primer on each's behavior, but in an effort to avoid a car reviewers non-answer, if I totaled my car tommorow, it would be replaced with a 10A without question. FOR ME, again apple pie ala'mode or without, it's really ultimatly what you prefer; but drive both for sure.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was in the same situation as you are, bad knees. I finally had to sell my '03 GT 5 speed because. I love my '18 GT 10 speed auto. Yes it does take some getting used to. Some complain of slippage but don't read the manual that in normal drive at anything less then half throttle the trans will skip 2nd and 4th gear. At light throttle it seems to shift to 3rd almost too quick. Yes, under some conditions under braking it will clunk one of the gears when downshifting. I have never experienced any hunting although in normal mode at times it is just a hair slow in power downshifting and when flooring the throttle the downshift and take off can be abrubt but that is due to it being a 10 speed with very close spaced gearing. That said I love it. Let me repeat, I LOVE IT! The performance and the options make it a blast to drive. I still miss my manual all the time,(only been 5 months), but my knees don't. When I want to play I put it in sport mode and play with the paddle shifters
Sponsored