Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

Chs51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I have a 2016 AT which I am very happy with, but it will be interesting to see the answers here. It is crazy how polar opposite the 10sp reviews are on the internet. Some say it is a godsend...fast, well tuned, responsive etc while others say it hunts too much, slow, wrong gear. My add on question would be to get a comparison for the 2015-2017 AT with power pack 2 versus the 10 speed. Trading for an 18 is not in the cards, but I am considering power pack 2 which would nearly even up power and I hear it really tightens up the shifts.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
I have a 2016 AT which I am very happy with, but it will be interesting to see the answers here. It is crazy how polar opposite the 10sp reviews are on the internet. Some say it is a godsend...fast, well tuned, responsive etc while others say it hunts too much, slow, wrong gear. My add on question would be to get a comparison for the 2015-2017 AT with power pack 2 versus the 10 speed. Trading for an 18 is not in the cards, but I am considering power pack 2 which would nearly even up power and I hear it really tightens up the shifts.
Well its like this the 10 speed is quirky but far from hard to live with, .and you get used to it,.....but it absolutely if beyond fantastic when you mat it!..its .5 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile which is like giving up 50 hp or 5 car lengths ,whichever translation you prefer and you lose gas mileage with a stick..and it holds up to 800 whp good from all reports, I've had an mt-82 and stick cars since the 80's and even a stick in my 2010 fusion which is a rare bird ,so my kids wouldn't ask to borrow it...anyways these days you give up to much to "feel connected to the car" as some put it or "in control" ….why spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car to gimp yourself

Last edited:

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
My AT is quirky too...can be jerky at low speed in normal, and the rev match in sport makes it less suitable for DD. I don’t mind it though...I have always liked how it drives...if the power pack livens it up more that is fine by me.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I find it okay. I wish it if you put the drive mode in comfort it would act like a regular auto box, just disconnect on coast down instead of doing the downshift thing, which can be clunky in my experience. I find for trolling in traffic I sometimes try sport, since it holds each gear longer. In any event, I had reasons to buy 5he A10 and they outweighed buying the stick, although occasionally I wish I had the stick.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Very happy.

Is it perfect? No. If I could combine Sport upshifts with Normal downshifts it would be. However, overall it does things at least as good as the several sport autos and DCTs I've had in various BMW M, Audi S4, Subaru BRZ and Lexus F-sport.

I dont find mine jerky at all.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Mine seems fine but only had it since Friday and drove it home from the dealer 900+ miles. Only drove it for the 2 days to get it home. I’ll find out more in the coming weeks.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm 100% happy with the A10. No issues at all.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
even though getting accustomed to the transmission took a little while I don't regret getting the 10 speed in the least bit. if the MT82 had been the only transmission the 2018 Mustang had available I wouldn't have even considered buying the Mustang.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Mine is perfect. Smooth engagements into drive or reverse. No clunks. Smooth upshifts and downshifts. It does not "hunt" for the right gear. Performance is exceptional. Drag mode is incredible. It shifts amazingly fast and firmly in that mode. Whether used as a daily driver or at at dragstrip, I am 100% satisfied.

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I like it. It is a little quirky though. When coming to a stop, the car downshifts and sometimes it can feel like you are getting different amounts of engine braking with each gear. Also, during light acceleration (normal mode), the torque converter is constantly adjusting mid gear trying to lock up as soon as possible (for efficiency) but this makes the RPMs drop considerably. Sometimes this isn't smooth.

BUT with all that said, when you are giving the car 1/2 throttle or more, the A10 is fast, smooth and shifts at the perfect point. Also the rev matched downshifts are awesome.

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Love it. I have the ROUSH Phase 1 Supercharger and while the ROUSH tune isn't perfect its still fast as hell. The biggest issue is with harsh 2nd to 1st downshifting in Sport/Sport+ mode depending on how you brake but apart from that it's pretty good.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
100% happy - accrued over 12k miles now since Feb, and this trans shifts amazingly fast... and when mashing the pedal to the floor, I don’t get any hesitation or hunting for gears - the thing screams and goes...

I also owned a prior 2016 S550 w/ 6R80 and all prior Mustang ownership has been manual transmissions... so, no BS to spew about the 10R80.

Also to note, there is a TSB out for the 10R80 regarding a software update. Some folks who have had this update done by their Ford Dealer have reported better shift patterns and less clunkiness.

On this site alone, there’s been many positive reviews and if you haven’t yet, do a search for just 10R80 site wide on here and you’ll see not just daily drivers, but folks beating the piss out of them at the track (and getting damn good results).

It’s a very stout transmission that can hold its own and as with any mechanical part of the drivetrain, yes, there may be some glitches or failures here and there, that’s to be expected by ANY automotive manufacturer or Brand-X vehicle. You can’t read into the threads where discussion about clunkiness, reverse to park issues, etc is stated - doesn’t mean it affects ALL....

glmarker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang premium Mach 1 FJG and 1964.5 Mustang
I have almost 7000 miles on my A10. I agree with many of the other comments, but man oh may, when you mat it, it is so cool to feel it shift, shift, shift!!!!! The A10 is the reason I bought the GT.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After my 2017 Camaro with the 8 speed transmission issues and having to get rid of the car after 6K miles, I am leery on any automatic now- although read many great things about this 10 speed. I am a manual guy, always have been, about to turn 60 and I too wanted a change in my life from rowing gears so I thought what could go wrong- 8 speeds, automatic, quick off the line acceleration, no thinking, better gas mileage, more gears to play with while paddle shifting. So I bought the Camaro, my very first automatic-and probably my last. Long story short it had the shudder problem.

I think the automatics have too many gears and are too complicated but they are rocket fast- especially off the line. I have the MT-82, which so many have stated their dislike of it. But it's one of the best shifting and smoothest transmissions I ever shifted- second only to a Miata ND. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one. I sometimes wish I had an automatic for stomping on off the line to beat the Accords and Camrys- where the manual you really have to work it and it's so much slower than the automatic. But rowing the gears in the MT-82, my personal experience with an auto 8 speed and feeling 10 gears is too many and something could go wrong, I'll stick with manual.

And oh, so interesting on the gas mileage. I thought that with 8 gears in the automatic the MPG would be outstanding- especially using the paddle shifters. When I used the paddle shifters the car would inhale gas- even shifting at low-mid RPM. I averaged 27 MPG in the Camaro (letting it shift normally) and got up to 34 on back road trips- not bad. With the MT-82 in the GT I am averaging over 25- almost as much as the Camaro- and the Camaro was a V6, the Mustang has a V8. I feel that you can get better MPG with a manual- if you know how to drive it for MPG, when you want to.
Sponsored