Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
the jerk from park to reverse or drive is a delay, and its people hitting the gas before the car has engaged the gear.

That said, I love my a10. I honestly wish in D it would downshift sooner
Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
the jerk from park to reverse or drive is a delay, and its people hitting the gas before the car has engaged the gear.

That said, I love my a10. I honestly wish in D it would downshift sooner
Nope - mine jerks and clunks from Reverse to Drive without my foot on the gas. Tested it many times. Only does it when the tranny is cold.

Agree about the downshifting in D - torque converter is reluctant to let go at low speeds so rpms go too low and it lugs/jerks. Ive gotten used to either paddle downshifting or just using S mode when driving below 60 mph or so, especially if not maintaining steady speed. My 06 would automatically unlock torque converter if you took foot off the gas, - my 18 doesn't.

That said, I love it for spirited driving. I wish S mode was a bit less engine-brakey - I'd use it all day. But it's fun as hell when you want to mash it.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Also to note, there is a TSB out for the 10R80 regarding a software update. Some folks who have had this update done by their Ford Dealer have reported better shift patterns and less clunkiness.
Need more specific info on this please.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
As stated the A10 can have a few quirks, but it's nothing I can't live with. We have only 1300 miles on the car, and I suspect it hasn't completed it's learning curve. Overall I have been very happy with it's performance, and if I had it to do over I would order one again.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
After my 2017 Camaro with the 8 speed transmission issues and having to get rid of the car after 6K miles, I am leery on any automatic now- although read many great things about this 10 speed. I am a manual guy, always have been, about to turn 60 and I too wanted a change in my life from rowing gears so I thought what could go wrong- 8 speeds, automatic, quick off the line acceleration, no thinking, better gas mileage, more gears to play with while paddle shifting. So I bought the Camaro, my very first automatic-and probably my last. Long story short it had the shudder problem.
I agree Bronc, if the A10 acted like the A8 in my Corvette I would be quite pissed. I just took the Vette to the Chebby dealer for a TSB (new fluid) that GM says will help with all that crap like the shudders. We'll see though.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Quirks yes, all out bad ass when pushing the A10, yes again. Today's tuners can also do wonders for the 10R80.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Nope - mine jerks and clunks from Reverse to Drive without my foot on the gas. Tested it many times. Only does it when the tranny is cold.
I have the same thing but it happens warm or cold.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yep. Recent update fixed minor hiccup. The 10 speed makes the car imo. I would do it 10x over again. They are getting the bugs worked out on these A10’s. Don’t be scared.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
My GT was built in June this year and the nearly 2,000 miles driven so far have been fantastic. The A10 performs like a regular auto in Normal mode and like a performance auto in Sport and Track mode.

Not enough miles yet to try Drag Mode, but will very soon. Every single automatic transmission vehicle that I've owned over 40 years has quirks. This one has very few and I adjusted to those few very quickly.

No problems with 'hunting', sometimes I feel a mild push when it downshifts at low speed in lower gears, other than that I've experienced no issues that cause me any issues!

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have about 2500 miles on mine. In Normal drive mode, mine is usually fine. In Sport or Track mode, there seems to be one particular upshift/downshift which is consistently harsher than the rest. I think it's 3-4, or maybe 4-5. Also, in Sport/Track, it often wants to hang on to a low gear longer than I want it to, so I'll use the paddles to prompt it to upshift. And the engine braking in Sport is a little much for just driving around the street.

So I'm OK with it, but it could be improved IMHO.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wish S mode was a bit less engine-brakey
Engine braking is actually one of the nice side effects of a MT . . . you don't always have to go for the brakes to bleed off a couple mph, just lift off the throttle briefly.

On edit, I can see where this might feel like "too much" engine braking to anybody accustomed to previous automatics. If it's automatically downshifting too soon and that's what's causing too much engine braking, that'd be a different matter (I wouldn't like that either).

Norm

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
My 2018 GT PP 10 speed automatic has been smooth and "civilized" from brand new to now at about 16,000 miles. For normal driving in "D" and "normal" drive mode upshifts and coming to a stop downshifts are very smooth with none of the "jerkiness/clunking" that others have experienced. Since my car doesn't have the digital dash I don't know what gear it is in unless I'm manual shifting.

However, my stops in street driving are very gentle. I guess I "better" try driving less like the little old man I am in traffic when my wife isn't in the car to see if more aggressive stops make a difference. My "hard" driving is almost all in autocrosses using manual shifting.

I rarely use "S" shifter position unless I'm also doing manual shifting. I also rarely use "sport" or "track" drive modes except for autocross but in testing did verify that "slowing to a stop" downshifts in those modes are obvious, frequently include "rev matching", and can be much more noticeable.

Note that in normal street driving I left foot brake and IF I'm on the throttle even a very small amount the downshifts even in D and normal drive mode can be jerky and just generally "strange".

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
HELL YEAH Im happy! Im 59 and was so tired of shifting. I have not experienced any of the complaints you mentioned and with this 10spd automatic this Mustang will absolutely fly. No way in hell a 6spd is gonna catch you.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
After 7,200 miles on my base GT with the A10, I have zero complaints. I went from a 17 GT350 with the 6 speed to this. The only thing I miss about the Shelby is the looks and sound. The driving experience of not rolling the gears bothers me zero.
The A10 is faster period. I like going faster.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
This is almost certainly your long-established manual transmission mindset speaking. Where 6 or (at the very most 7) gears represents the greatest number of gears that most people would be willing to cope with in a passenger car. Especially one with decent or better power to weight. One reason is that with more gears, the gear spacing gets tighter, and while you can deal with two or three gears spaced 25% apart or tighter, it would get pretty tiresome to have 6 of the top 7 shifts be that close. You'd either be shifting constantly (to use all of those gears) or skipping a few (which begs the question of why even have that many). Another consideration - can you even imagine dealing with a shifter that had 5 full fore/aft gates for the forward gears plus a dogleg for reverse? I can't, and I've been driving MT almost exclusively since about 1971.

Your Camaro A8 experience was unfortunate, and far from being an isolated case. I have a suspicion that some mpg-driven complexity was added that hadn't been part of traditional AT design. Maybe the tighter ratios of the 10-speed have helped overcome this, maybe the software writers have gotten smarter, and maybe sufficient advancements in AT fluid compounding have been made.

As a side note, I have to wonder why so many people apparently tie the choice to give up the third pedal and go automatic to age as a number (which might only be an approximate number) rather than to age as a perception of how young or old they feel. Especially while they're driving. Reasons involving physical limitations I understand. FWIW and with respect to my sig, my wife and I are both at least a little past 67.

Norm
Just turned 75 in September and I drive my 6 speed 2018 GT everyday. Age is mostly in the mind I love rowing through the gears. OH Yeah! The looks I get when I drive by are enough to kill you. Pull up to a parking spot get out and watch the people walking by check out your vehicle . You know deep down inside many of them wish they could be me.
Sponsored