Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I've driven a few automatics that made certain shifts somewhat harshly most of the time, and one (that I was being paid to drive for a dealership) that would shift very harshly a few days at a time before smoothing out somewhat. Hated that kind of behavior - your level and those levels of shift harshness would be deal-breaker-bad all by themselves even if I was otherwise OK with buying a car with an AT. I never cared for rides in cars with shift kits back in the days of A3 transmissions either.

Norm
I'm used to driving full on competition automatics so I'm used to the hard shifts. I like in this car. In my daily driver, I probably would not.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm used to driving full on competition automatics so I'm used to the hard shifts.
For drag racing and occasional street challenges that seem to only happen down Mexico way, I get it. :thumbsup:

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm, you keep talking about ALL transmissions, which doesn't apply to my ONE example. In the 2014 Corvette Z51, 5th gear has a theoretical top speed of 270 mph. 6th tops out at 337. Strap in for 4th gear, which rockets out to 400 mph. Wait, no it doesn't, there's not enough motor, aero, or tire in the world that can hit that kind of speed (in a road going car).

As far as the OD gears for fuel economy (RPM at 65mph):
5th - 1590
6th - 1275
7th - 1080
I've got three 7-speed gearsets in my database, one of which might be the one you're thinking of. They - particularly B and C - only make sense (to me) if GM was planning on using 'deep' axle gearing to avoid having to use a short 1st gear (for torque rating reasons?).

6070ATR6070 Gearset A2.972.071.431.000.710.570.48
6070BTR6070 Gearset B2.661.781.301.000.740.500.42
6070CTR6070 Gearset C2.291.611.211.000.820.680.45

I get that SOME OD gearing has performance benefits. My entire point about the one transmission I was talking about, is that the 7th gear (in this one particular transmission), truly is only there for cruising economy.
Which is fine. Especially these days with fuel economy and emissions requirements. In a road car, one gear should be strictly a cruise gear. Possibly as many as two, given that cruising down NJ73 or NJ30 at speeds comfortable for lazy cruising in those 7th gears would guarantee the attraction of unwanted official attention (on lazy cruising - consider the Corvette demographic here).

Norm

06nine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Gearset A, the Z51 package, which has a 2.73 diff ratio. Lazy cruising indeed.
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
I really like it. But I don’t love it. It’s not as much fun as a stick-it’s more of a convenience. I believe a lot of it has to do with my age-4 years ago I had a c7 with the 7 speed manual and it was a blast to drive.
I’ve always thought muscle cars had to have a manual trans... not so much any more.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I’ve had the A10 in both the mustang & truck for about a year now. The tuning in the mustang is spectacular. In the truck it’s a little jerky til it warms up. Sport mods is great in both. It even makes the truck feel like a big bloated sports car.:wink:

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Can a 10R80 handle high horsepower without having issues? I'm just curious. Anyone making over 850-900 rwhp with 10R80.
You can get a 750hp Roush RS3 with an A10. You can get a 650hp Camaro ZL1 with an A10. I know the ZL1 adds more cooling. Can't speak to what would happen at 751hp and over, but the fact that it's put in 2 factory supercharged track focused V8's suggest that it's pretty solid.

As to the earlier post about the paddle shifts not being fast enough, I'll have to disagree. It's not DSG instant and probably not as quick as the ZF 8 speed. But in the Sport/Track/Drag modes it's plenty fast IMO. Infinitely quicker than rowing gears, but you get the same benefit of holding the RPM's till things turn red.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Can confirm the ZF8 paddles are more responsive.
Yep. Drove an Audi with DSG and it was immediate. But still totally happy with the A10. I've learned how to make it do what I want. Still need the re-flash though. 4-5 is a biatch...

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
Yes... I’m older and like the little work. Lund tune makes Sport mode a beast.

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
You can get a 750hp Roush RS3 with an A10. You can get a 650hp Camaro ZL1 with an A10. I know the ZL1 adds more cooling. Can't speak to what would happen at 751hp and over, but the fact that it's put in 2 factory supercharged track focused V8's suggest that it's pretty solid.

As to the earlier post about the paddle shifts not being fast enough, I'll have to disagree. It's not DSG instant and probably not as quick as the ZF 8 speed. But in the Sport/Track/Drag modes it's plenty fast IMO. Infinitely quicker than rowing gears, but you get the same benefit of holding the RPM's till things turn red.
I wonder what type of transmission mods would support that power. My 1st mustang was a 89 convertible/auto fox-body and I hated it. I knew if the auto was enhanced it would have been a great car. I said i would never get another auto mustang again after that. Like most of you guys on the forum, I've had my share of mustangs.

Fast forward a little, In 2018 I was in the market for 2018 ZL1 or 2018 Mustang GT PP1. I took my kid on a test drive in both cars. I drove the ZL1 and we both were impressed. When we drove the mustang (Auto), my kid said "The auto had more power". I didn't really get what he was saying, so i shook it off. Long story short, it was the enhanced auto that made the mustang quicker. Needless to say I ended up buying a new 2018 PP1 401A 6spd for 35k out the door. Just call it luck.

I've seen youtube videos of N/A auto mustangs out running supercharged Camaro's in a roll race. My car barely makes over 751hp so i was just curious.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what type of transmission mods would support that power. My 1st mustang was a 89 convertible/auto fox-body and I hated it. I knew if the auto was enhanced it would have been a great car. I said i would never get another auto mustang again after that. Like most of you guys on the forum, I've had my share of mustangs.

Fast forward a little, In 2018 I was in the market for 2018 ZL1 or 2018 Mustang GT PP1. I took my kid on a test drive in both cars. I drove the ZL1 and we both were impressed. When we drove the mustang (Auto), my kid said "The auto had more power". I didn't really get what he was saying, so i shook it off. Long story short, it was the enhanced auto that made the mustang quicker. Needless to say I ended up buying a new 2018 PP1 401A 6spd for 35k out the door. Just call it luck.

I've seen youtube videos of N/A auto mustangs out running supercharged Camaro's in a roll race. My car barely makes over 751hp so i was just curious.
I had an 89 GT as well, but the 5 Speed Manual. Hard to believe that car only was 225HP stock. I had a Flowmaster exhaust, ADS chip and underdrive pulleys, but it "felt" fast. I loved the ZL1, but couldn't find a used one in my price range. I sat in one at the same dealership I bought my Roush and the seats felt like cement covered in alcantara. Still a sweet ride. I'd look into the Roush RS3 specs. It wouldn't surprise me if there is additional cooling measures. Depends largely on what you do with it IMO. If you track it fairly often, there are probably several things you should do to accommodate that type of demand. If you just play on public roads here and there, then you may be ok as is. I'd do a much deeper dive than my opinion though lol!

Sponsored

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
I had an 89 GT as well, but the 5 Speed Manual. Hard to believe that car only was 225HP stock. I had a Flowmaster exhaust, ADS chip and underdrive pulleys, but it "felt" fast. I loved the ZL1, but couldn't find a used one in my price range. I sat in one at the same dealership I bought my Roush and the seats felt like cement covered in alcantara. Still a sweet ride. I'd look into the Roush RS3 specs. It wouldn't surprise me if there is additional cooling measures. Depends largely on what you do with it IMO. If you track it fairly often, there are probably several things you should do to accommodate that type of demand. If you just play on public roads here and there, then you may be ok as is. I'd do a much deeper dive than my opinion though lol!
I'm looking at doing Oil, trans and differential cooler in the near future. Thats after installing my long-block for this car. Hoping to been done before September. Looking at 1500rwhp :muscle: :rockon:. Once done, Ill be doing some autocross or something.

Foxbodies are my true love. I still have a 410w turbo, t56 and my 93 cobra. I'M thinking of 363 or coyote swap for it