Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I like it. It is a little quirky though. When coming to a stop, the car downshifts and sometimes it can feel like you are getting different amounts of engine braking with each gear. Also, during light acceleration (normal mode), the torque converter is constantly adjusting mid gear trying to lock up as soon as possible (for efficiency) but this makes the RPMs drop considerably. Sometimes this isn't smooth.

BUT with all that said, when you are giving the car 1/2 throttle or more, the A10 is fast, smooth and shifts at the perfect point. Also the rev matched downshifts are awesome.
Love it. I have the ROUSH Phase 1 Supercharger and while the ROUSH tune isn't perfect its still fast as hell. The biggest issue is with harsh 2nd to 1st downshifting Sport/Sport+ mode depending on how you brake but apart from that it's pretty good.
I find that I have the same quirky clunkiness these guys are talking about. You get used to it but you still know its there. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though. Just wish it was a little smoother around town especially in "S" mode.

100% happy - accrued over 12k miles now since Feb, and this trans shifts amazingly fast... and when mashing the pedal to the floor, I donā€™t get any hesitation or hunting for gears - the thing screams and goes...

I also owned a prior 2016 S550 w/ 6R80 and all prior Mustang ownership has been manual transmissions... so, no BS to spew about the 10R80.

Also to note, there is a TSB out for the 10R80 regarding a software update. Some folks who have had this update done by their Ford Dealer have reported better shift patterns and less clunkiness.

On this site alone, thereā€™s been many positive reviews and if you havenā€™t yet, do a search for just 10R80 site wide on here and youā€™ll see not just daily drivers, but folks beating the piss out of them at the track (and getting damn good results).

Itā€™s a very stout transmission that can hold its own and as with any mechanical part of the drivetrain, yes, there may be some glitches or failures here and there, thatā€™s to be expected by ANY automotive manufacturer or Brand-X vehicle. You canā€™t read into the threads where discussion about clunkiness, reverse to park issues, etc is stated - doesnā€™t mean it affects ALL....
I did a very quick search, but do you have a link to the TSB or maybe the number for it? I would like to make sure my stuff is up to date lol
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Well its like this the 10 speed is quirky but far from hard to live with, .and you get used to it,.....but it absolutely if beyond fantastic when you mat it!..its .5 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile which is like giving up 50 hp or 5 car lengths ,whichever translation you prefer and you lose gas mileage with a stick..and it holds up to 800 whp good from all reports, I've had an mt-82 and stick cars since the 80's and even a stick in my 2010 fusion which is a rare bird ,so my kids wouldn't ask to borrow it...anyways these days you give up to much to "feel connected to the car" as some put it or "in control" ā€¦.why spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car to gimp yourself
No doubt, the A10 is faster than a manual. No one can shift that fast. But I don't agree with your gas mileage comment. With proper gearing, the manual and automatic should be dead even on mpg, leaving it up to the driving style of the driver to see which one gets better gas mileage. The Mustang could have 50 gears and you still wouldn't see a substantial improvement over the manual.

In the coming years, you will see the traditional manual go away and companies move over to automatics with paddle shifters or some method that works with an automatic so a person may shift pseudo-manually.

After riding in my buddy's A10 for several months now, a few comments... The thing will easily throw you back in the seat, no doubt about that. Rev matching in sport mode is music to my ears, albeit it is a little jerky. When in drive, it shifts smooth as butter, no issues.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think the automatics have too many gears and are too complicated
This is almost certainly your long-established manual transmission mindset speaking. Where 6 or (at the very most 7) gears represents the greatest number of gears that most people would be willing to cope with in a passenger car. Especially one with decent or better power to weight. One reason is that with more gears, the gear spacing gets tighter, and while you can deal with two or three gears spaced 25% apart or tighter, it would get pretty tiresome to have 6 of the top 7 shifts be that close. You'd either be shifting constantly (to use all of those gears) or skipping a few (which begs the question of why even have that many). Another consideration - can you even imagine dealing with a shifter that had 5 full fore/aft gates for the forward gears plus a dogleg for reverse? I can't, and I've been driving MT almost exclusively since about 1971.

Your Camaro A8 experience was unfortunate, and far from being an isolated case. I have a suspicion that some mpg-driven complexity was added that hadn't been part of traditional AT design. Maybe the tighter ratios of the 10-speed have helped overcome this, maybe the software writers have gotten smarter, and maybe sufficient advancements in AT fluid compounding have been made.

As a side note, I have to wonder why so many people apparently tie the choice to give up the third pedal and go automatic to age as a number (which might only be an approximate number) rather than to age as a perception of how young or old they feel. Especially while they're driving. Reasons involving physical limitations I understand. FWIW and with respect to my sig, my wife and I are both at least a little past 67.

Norm

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my A10 for about 8 months now. I will admit that the inherent "lack of smoothness" or "jerky" nature of the trans can be a bit irritating at times. In some ways, in moderately normal driving, the manual trans may be a bit smoother to drive assuming you have manual trans skills. I personally think the MT-82 is very smooth shifting a has a nice clean feel. But when it comes to acceleration, imho, manual shifting is a waste of time. The A10 basically always hits the sweet spot and puts a grin on your face. As much as I wish that this trans was a bit smoother, there is no way I would give it up for a manual. Each trans will have its drawbacks and in our subjective differences, we will prefer one strength over another. But its REALLY hard to beat this A10. I would do it over again without question. BTW, John Lund jr. agrees that the A10 is inherently "clunky".
EDIT.......................................................5/1/19
After another 6-7 months and the "edgy" shifting aspects of this trans, I consulted with Lund racing again and Jon Jr. determined that my lack of comfort with my trans came from the fact that my tune modifies "drive" mode with certain aspects of "sport". So Jon Jr. plugged some of the factory logic back in at part throttle percentages and BAM!!!.. I am completely satisfied with my A10....Love my A10 and love Lund racing!

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am surprised at some of the comments about roughness or clunkiness. I did have some software updates performed by the dealer shortly after getting the car. It was primarily for the digital dash but they also did one for the powertrain. I wonder if some of you guys need the update.

In normal drive under moderate acceleration like around town, it skips 2nd and 4th gears. It also doesn't go into 10th until around 45 MPH so there is not a lot of gear changing going on in normal town driving. Of course it shifts firmer than a luxury sedan but it is never harsh, clunky or rough.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have a 2018 Ecoboost with the 10 speed auto. I have watched all the reviews and seen what everyone has to say. I can't say I agree with it hunting for gears, but I can say that sometimes it can be jerky on downshifts in city driving. It all depends on the situation.Mine appears to skip second gear when braking quite frequently but honestly it is not a huge deal. It's a sports car after all, it doesn't drive the way a Lexus or Honda would. I think the real issue for people is if they spend very little time in the car the first few days can be very strange as you might be used to another vehicle.

Once you get on any stretch of empty road I can't see you being unhappy. I love the way it drives personally. Do I wish Ford had made another mode for city driving that toned everything back? Absolutely but I drive my car everyday to and from work with no issues and I still get a smile on my face.

Madhatter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Absolutely love mine. Yes I could have gotten a manual but I am very happy with it.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got the 10-speed in June to replace my '14 manual GT, and so far I love the 10-speed. Every now and then, it will do an odd shift, but overall it seems very smooth for me. In D it is almost seamless most of the time, and I don't even feel the shifts. In Sport mode combined with Sport + settings, it is very aggressive and can be a bit rough, but that's kind of what I expect from driving it hard anyway. Downshifts are a little jarring because of the rev-matching in Sport + mode, but again that's expected and I got used to it.

I can't find the post now, and maybe I am just lame because I didn't know about it before, but someone shared the technique of flooring the gas and releasing, then hitting it again to have it downshift for acceleration, and it has really impressed me - I've seen it immediately drop to 5th at 60mph to pick up speed for passing, etc., which is a real kick in the pants.

My guess is that even though it's not perfect 100% of the time, it probably makes fewer shift mistakes than the average manual driver :).

Sponsored

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible
I have had my A10 for about 8 months now. I will admit that the inherent "lack of smoothness" or "jerky" nature of the trans can be a bit irritating at times. In some ways, in moderately normal driving, the manual trans may be a bit smoother to drive assuming you have manual trans skills. I personally think the MT-82 is very smooth shifting a has a nice clean feel. But when it comes to acceleration, imho, manual shifting is a waste of time. The A10 basically always hits the sweet spot and puts a grin on your face. As much as I wish that this trans was a bit smoother, there is no way I would give it up for a manual. Each trans will have its drawbacks and in our subjective differences, we will prefer one strength over another. But its REALLY hard to beat this A10. I would do it over again without question. BTW, John Lund jr. agrees that the A10 is inherently "clunky".
I feel the same way about my GT Premium A10 that is approaching 8,000 miles. It's very fast and relatively smooth upshifting, which is great for performance. However, its clunky nature when downshifting into 1st gear when I am braking to a full stop really irritates me. I took it to my dealer and they drove it over 17 miles. The technician said the problem is the transmission shifts from 3 to 1 coming to stop, and this skipping 2nd tends to make the shift rough. He also said there in no solution available and several customers - mostly F150 customers - have complained about this rough downshifting. I don't see why Ford could not program the normal mode so the transmission downshifts into 1st without the thud (you can't hear a thud, just feel one). Also, I often view the gear displayed on the nice digital dash and I have seen all gears displayed except 2nd gear. I realize this displayed gear probably lags behind the actual current gear, however, it does puzzle me why the transmission never seems to use 2nd gear?? Other than the clunky A10, I love to DD my 2018 GT.

Stangfan6818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 GT/CS and 2018 GT Premium Fastback
I absolutely LOVE mine. I drive it in Sport+ all the time with the active exhaust in Sport as well. It is incredible. I love the way it downshifts on the highway! There is nothing negative about the 10 speed auto that I can think of.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Absolutely LOVE it. The A10 is a game-changer. The acceleration in 1st gear is insane. Iā€™ve never noticed an issue with ā€˜clunkinessā€™ probably because Iā€™m having TOO MUCH FUN!

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I feel the same way about my GT Premium A10 that is approaching 8,000 miles. It's very fast and relatively smooth upshifting, which is great for performance. However, its clunky nature when downshifting into 1st gear when I am braking to a full stop really irritates me. I took it to my dealer and they drove it over 17 miles. The technician said the problem is the transmission shifts from 3 to 1 coming to stop, and this skipping 2nd tends to make the shift rough. He also said there in no solution available and several customers - mostly F150 customers - have complained about this rough downshifting. I don't see why Ford could not program the normal mode so the transmission downshifts into 1st without the thud (you can't hear a thud, just feel one). Also, I often view the gear displayed on the nice digital dash and I have seen all gears displayed except 2nd gear. I realize this displayed gear probably lags behind the actual current gear, however, it does puzzle me why the transmission never seems to use 2nd gear?? Other than the clunky A10, I love to DD my 2018 GT.
This is basically exactly what happens to mine.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Current owner of my 2nd 2018 GT with the 10r80. Absolutely love it! The downshifting can be a little quirky but doesn't bother me at all. Had a car with a DCT in it and the downshifting was way worse. I like the feeling of the car downshifting and hearing the revs go up when coming to a stop.
Sponsored