Sponsored

Spark plug gap for FP tune

TheDonSalami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Fastback
I'm looking into getting some denso itv22 but i found a site that pre gapped them at .026. I see some other people recommend gaps to be .028. Will .026 be alright?
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I'm looking into getting some denso itv22 but i found a site that pre gapped them at .026. I see some other people recommend gaps to be .028. Will .026 be alright?
You'll get multiple opinions on this, Don. But it's worth noting that RARELY is it wise to blindly trust the factory gapping. Not only is it not consistent, but it's impossible to know with ironclad certainty whether somebody hasn't dropped one of the thousands of plugs that are made/boxed/packed/shipped...and YOU might receive that one plug!

Aside from that, 0.026 is awfully skinny IMO. Maybe split the difference; pass a 0.026 feeler gauge through each one and evaluate its snug-ness. If all four plugs feel fairly uniform (and not TOO snug) it's probably better to just leave them alone. But if - as I suspect - you get variations and/or sloppy gaps...you should probably set all four to 0.028.

$0.02

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Gap really depends on fuel type, boost level, and other similar factors. Generally speaking, you want the gap to be as wide as possible without spark blowout. So, like I mentioned above, it depends on your setup and fuel.

If you're running 93 pump gas or E30 at 24 psi or less, you could run 0.028". On E85 or 25+ psi, I'd gap them at 0.026".

With anything over 0.028", you're going to have issues, especially as the plugs wear and the gap grows. At around 0.030", you'll probably start seeing some blowout issues with more moderate or aggressive tunes.

Like I said though, it depends on your setup and fueling. For what I've mentioned above, that's always what I've found to be good practices over the last few years.

OP
OP

TheDonSalami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both of these comments were very informative thank you guys!!

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
My advice from experience is stick to the stock plugs and avoid possible issues, especially if your running stock or FP tune and keep the gap to .028, Those densos are notorious for cracking insulators and both those and NGK 1 step colder run too cold for this set up as they carbon up like mofo. The stocks are the same for both the Focus RS and Mustang, it was within the correct heat range for both for these power levels.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheDonSalami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My advice from experience is stick to the stock plugs and avoid possible issues, especially if your running stock or FP tune and keep the gap to .028, Those densos are notorious for cracking insulators and both those and NGK 1 step colder run too cold for this set up as they carbon up like mofo. The stocks are the same for both the Focus RS and Mustang, it was within the correct heat range for both for these power levels.
I was honestly thinking of just sticking to stock and checking the gap or buy stock plugs through levittown

These https://www.levittownfordparts.com/mobile/ford-performance-cold-spark-plug-p-5031.html but if they might be too cold I think I'll go with the former option

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
If you run the FP tune, then stick with stock plugs. The tune wasnt made for other plugs. If your engine blows and they see different plugs they will blame that and there goes ur warranty.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.

I can't speak for the denso's but I have the FP tune and I have my NGK's gapped at .028.

Sponsored

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I am running the one step colder NGK 6510's pre -gapped from Adam Tune @ .0275 with the FP tune.

Miadhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang EcoBoost
Also running pregapped spark plugs from TUNE+ on the ProCal tune, no issues in 10k+ miles.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
i did not..