Sponsored

Colder spark plugs with tune?

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Changed the plugs this morning and it took maybe 30 mins with me taking my time.

Remove engine cover with 8/10 mm socket
Use finger to slide back red locking tabs on COPS
Unplug COPs
1st and last COP needs a flat blade screwdriver to pry up black circular "harness" that is on top of the COP bolt.
Use 8mm socket to remove 4 COP bolts
Remove COP's by pulling up
Remove stock spark plugs
Install 1 step colder plug (NGK 6510) gapped to .028
Install COPS
Install COP bolts
Plug in COP
slide red locking tab toward passenger side
place engine cover back on
Install 2 10mm/2 8mm bolts

Done!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Changed the plugs this morning and it took maybe 30 mins with me taking my time.

Unplug COPs
1st and last COP needs a flat blade screwdriver to pry up black circular "harness" that is on top of the COP bolt.
Remove stock spark plugs
Install COPS
Install COP bolts
Plug in COP

Done!
Thanks for listing those steps, Greg. I was kind of piddling around and it took about the same amount to time. If you hurried, it could probably be done it 15 minutes or so. Don't forget to give us some feedback on your thoughts about them.

I've put almost 500 miles on mine since installation. I'm gonna pull them soon and look at them. I'm also gonna do it at 1k, 2.5k, 5k, and 10k miles (as I've always done on new cars with different plugs) to ensure that no deposits are building up. They haven't previously on my of EBs, but it's always good to quadruple check.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM

Unplug COPs
Remove stock spark plugs
Install COPS
Install COP bolts
Plug in COP

Done!

nice
thanks for listing the steps

what was the deciding factor on gap? Factory is .028?
or are you gapping tighter for some reason?

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
I have always had better luck on FI applications at .028 or .030 to avoid spark blowout..let's see what Juben has to say as I think he did .028 as well.

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I have always had better luck on FI applications at .028 or .030 to avoid spark blowout..let's see what Juben has to say as I think he did .028 as well.
I also have mine at 0.028.

Anytime you increase the combustion pressure in the engines, e.g. add nitrous or more boost, you want to reduce the gap to ensure that the denser air/fuel mix will ignite.

A wider gap will maximize the burn efficiency of the engine by producing a larger spark, however, if the gap is too large, then it'll blow the spark out as Greg mentioned.

Gap measurements are just kind of guidelines as every engine will be different. You want to use the widest gap that you can to ensure a more complete and powerful combustion process, but you don't want that gap to be so wide that the spark gets blown out and you have misfires. I usually start on the higher end of the recommendations and work my way down, 0.001 at a time, to reach where the engine seems to operate the best.

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Will it run poorly with the stock plugs and a tune? No. Will it run poorly with a range colder than stock plugs? No. I've ran it both ways without problems.

However, where it helps is in reduced detonation or the reduced chance of detonation. Sometimes you might get a bad batch of gas, and if you have a tune, especially a more aggressive tune, colder plugs can help mitigate any potential issues with situations like that.

While I agree that too cold of a plug will develop carbon buildup which will cause the car to misfire and run poorly, one range colder isn't going to do that on these EcoBoost engines. I've had plenty of experience with running colder plugs both on this platform and others.

Everyone seems to trust Ford, right? Even Ford recommends two ranges colder on the FoST with their FRPP tune. Surely Ford would know what they're doing!

For the low cost, it's just good insurance to help make sure your engine runs well and doesn't get damaged.

I appreciate you posting about your past experiences, it's very helpful info and I'll think I will go ahead and change mine now and keep an eye on them every 1,000 like you

CoyoteFiveO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0
Is anyone here running colder spark plugs with their tune(s)? I know that it's usually a good practice, and even Ford recommends two ranges colder with their FoST tune, but I'm having a difficult time finding any information on what plugs we have and what would be a step or two steps colder.

TIA!
Changed mine today to the NGK 6510 definitely made the car feel better with what I already have done. Listed in my signature. Car pulls a lot better!

Sponsored

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
Changed mine today to the NGK 6510 definitely made the car feel better with what I already have done. Listed in my signature. Car pulls a lot better!
Car does feel better with the colder plugs. I changed mine yesterday morning before running errands, and it definitely feels a little crisper. It was damp/misting out, so couldn't really play hard. It's supposed to cool off this weekend, so I'm heading to the track somewhere..lol.

CoyoteFiveO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0
Car does feel better with the colder plugs. I changed mine yesterday morning before running errands, and it definitely feels a little crisper. It was damp/misting out, so couldn't really play hard. It's supposed to cool off this weekend, so I'm heading to the track somewhere..lol.
Awesome glad to hear as well!

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
Here's a discount code for RockAuto with instructions on how to enter it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

How to Use Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply. Click the "Apply" button and your discount will be subtracted from your parts order total.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.
The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on April 12, 2015 so don't wait!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once this code expires, I'll try to post the new one.

sweet, got them ordered for only $28.77, thanks for the extra discount code.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
We started having issues right around 380hp with our turbo kit on the factory plugs. It doesn't hurt to upgrade but it won't become a necessity until you start pushing over 360whp in my opinion.

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
We started having issues right around 380hp with our turbo kit on the factory plugs. It doesn't hurt to upgrade but it won't become a necessity until you start pushing over 360whp in my opinion.
Did you just go one range colder or two?
Sponsored