Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Lol if these engines only made 210 whp they would last until the next ice age.

You show your age. In the late eighties the Mustang was one of the fastest and most powerful cars on the road. The comparison is very relevant. Especially given better oils and metallurgy today.

How much horsepower will a 2018 GT make in 27 years without engine work: 0 horsepower because it won’t run!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
One more thing what was the horsepower after 27 years and 308,000 miles. Ford never advertised the real horsepower back then. Based on drag strip runs we got 286 stock when new.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Too bad that you're giving up. The 18s and 19s are awesome and with the S650 just down the road you are jumping off of the Mustang ship at an unfortunate time. Good luck finding a substitute and remember, never say never!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I was just thinking about this whole concept when I drove my Mustang into work this morning while driving. When I was 17, getting close to 320 rwhp on my '97 Formula was a lot to me. Imagining that today, my current Mustang has even more power than a Dodge Viper in that same time period. Without spouting 0-60 times and quarter mile times, it's hard not to just appreciate driving a car with over 400 horsepower that's main stream. We've come a long way.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lol if these engines only made 210 whp they would last until the next ice age.
Exactly right. 9.0:1 compression, small cam, small ports, low rev limit. Nothing in that engine is being stressed heavily at all. You can easily make 400 HP with a 5.0 pushrod Ford engine, but Ford just didn't do it.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
I feel the need to revise a portion of my previous post. I in no way mean to cast negativity toward the MY17 Mustang. I have a friend that owns one and he is in love with it and hasn't experienced a single problem. Sorry you are having the problems you have but every year car from EVERY company has problems and that is the simple fact. Probably why they instituted the famous 'Lemon Law'. Peace to all MY17 owners and enjoy your awesome machines.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Do you know if there is any damage actually being done when this tick occurs from the cam phaser? It seems the ford pickup with larger engines had a cam phaser issue and was sued.. 'm baffled as to why they haven't addressed this?

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
All because of the BBQ tick? Question, did it go away after it warms up a bit? I've noticed mine ever so slightly when my windows are down in a parking garage, but it doesn't last long. I just left it alone after reading several posts about it and it seems like nothing is wrong.

Either way, that sucks. Hopefully you can find a car you don't run into issues with.
Ford will be buying my Mustang back soon and I just wanted to thank everyone on here for their help, advice and knowledge while I owned the car...sadly I will not be buying another Mustang...not sure what I will get next, but for now I will drive my winter beater til next spring...without this forum and its members I would never even known my car had an issue and I thank you all for that! I will be on the forum for a bit longer and will have some aftermarket items up for sale when I get pics of everything...

Sorry to see someone else went through this mess. Hopefully Ford RAV was decent and helpful enough. My buyback took just over 2 months from the moment I told them I wanted a buyback.

On the bright side, taking my SS 1LE to VIR next weekend. Ill be running in the HPDE1 class so if you see an old guy in a gray 1LE stop by and say hello

JD

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I feel the need to revise a portion of my previous post. I in no way mean to cast negativity toward the MY17 Mustang. I have a friend that owns one and he is in love with it and hasn't experienced a single problem. Sorry you are having the problems you have but every year car from EVERY company has problems and that is the simple fact. Probably why they instituted the famous 'Lemon Law'. Peace to all MY17 owners and enjoy your awesome machines.
True all cars/brands have issues, but I find this disturbing. We're a small portion of all mustang sales, yet I would guess 30% have this problem on this site? Maybe a little more or less but judging but the polls I looked at I may be close...Something is wrong here. I haven't owned an American car in nearly 20 years until this year, and always said after the problems my dad had with his truck, I'd stick to japanese makes, but said If I ever bought an American car again, it would only be a Mustang GT.. Even my wife was surprised when I said I was going to buy a new Mustang.

Would never expect there to be this many bad cam phasers, rod bearings or whatever it is that is causing this tapping, and certainly concerned its been going on for quite a few years with no F's given by Ford.

Is Ford trying to penny pinch for profits? I don't know but I certainly wouldn't mind spending a little more for something that doesn't make noises and perhaps better quality?

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
I was just thinking about this whole concept when I drove my Mustang into work this morning while driving. When I was 17, getting close to 320 rwhp on my '97 Formula was a lot to me. Imagining that today, my current Mustang has even more power than a Dodge Viper in that same time period. Without spouting 0-60 times and quarter mile times, it's hard not to just appreciate driving a car with over 400 horsepower that's main stream. We've come a long way.
For awhile last year I had a 95 5.0 cobra and my 5.0 18 gt at the same time..i ran a 13.9 in the cobra....maybe 260 hp? it had a few mods like headers and gears,but it was low miles and looked like a brand new car..and in some ways we moved forward...like hp and safety,but in other ways we haven't , the 95 manual shifted better then the new cars do, it sounded better with the headers and flowmasters, and I felt more connected to the road with it and its really enjoyable flinging around a lighter car, woulda kept it but needed the garage space...but hell talk about noisy, these young guys would shit to hear all those rocker arms ticking like 20 sewing machines

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
For awhile last year I had a 95 5.0 cobra and my 5.0 18 gt at the same time..i ran a 13.9 in the cobra....maybe 260 hp? it had a few mods like headers and gears,but it was low miles and looked like a brand new car..and in some ways we moved forward...like hp and safety,but in other ways we haven't , the 95 manual shifted better then the new cars do, it sounded better with the headers and flowmasters, and I felt more connected to the road with it and its really enjoyable flinging around a lighter car, woulda kept it but needed the garage space...but hell talk about noisy, these young guys would shit to hear all those rocker arms ticking like 20 sewing machines
The old 90's GT's sounded so incredible. I couldn't fit in my cousin's '98 GT on the passenger side, lol.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Exactly right. 9.0:1 compression, small cam, small ports, low rev limit. Nothing in that engine is being stressed heavily at all. You can easily make 400 HP with a 5.0 pushrod Ford engine, but Ford just didn't do it.

And that my friend is the point. Over engineered and under stressed engine. That is the way to go. Ford should be rocking a 6+ litre engine and turning down the wick a bit. Solid iron block and no liners. But me thinks the current engine problems is just bad engineering and non-existent quality control. The money goes to the future cars and not a dead end. Yes the V8 is a dead end in terms of future design.

As for the old vs. new cars - don’t believe the hype. That old LX probable feels quicker and punchier around town. Wot and rev past redline and yes the new cars are quicker (I thought the old 5.0s redlined at 6,000 anyway). But in the real world blind folded in the passenger seat you may not know which is which. The old cars had the torque right at the bottom where you always use it. So I think day to day, the cars would feel the same.

People here are so myopic about horsepower they miss the big gains. Like steering. Steering today is in another universe and nobody mentions it. Handling is way way better and drivability with regard to engine management in bad weather isn’t even a thought these days. With carborators damp cold weather meant drivability problems. You have to come from that era to make the comparisons. Just looking at engine figures does not tell it all...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
One other thing. The throttle response was more direct in the old 5.0s. You felt closer to the engine. If that makes any sense...
Sponsored