Sponsored

Sad day indeed

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
One other thing. The throttle response was more direct in the old 5.0s. You felt closer to the engine. If that makes any sense...
oh it makes perfect sense ...these days we imput to a computer that tries to decide what we want and the computer commands the engine..in all actuality...a driver is not connected at all to the car directly.. except partially through braking...and then the computer takes over on that if we push it too hard, I've decided if my 18 blows, which I kinda doubt it will..i'll spend big bucks building at state of the art all mechanical car..circa late 80's early 90's...but we getting off topic should maybe start a thread later
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
One more thing what was the horsepower after 27 years and 308,000 miles. Ford never advertised the real horsepower back then. Based on drag strip runs we got 286 stock when new.
Ford always advertised the HP on the 1987+ foxbodies as 225 HP. Of course, that was at the shaft...

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I was just thinking about this whole concept when I drove my Mustang into work this morning while driving. When I was 17, getting close to 320 rwhp on my '97 Formula was a lot to me. Imagining that today, my current Mustang has even more power than a Dodge Viper in that same time period. Without spouting 0-60 times and quarter mile times, it's hard not to just appreciate driving a car with over 400 horsepower that's main stream. We've come a long way.
This is so true.

When I was younger I thought my 1999 35th Anniversary GT was fast. Now my GT has almost twice that power. Even the Cobra's were pushing 320ish on a good day. Now you can almost get that in an EcoBoost and have a LOT better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, etc.

I think this may be the time we look back on in the not so distant future and consider the second golden era of muscle cars. I'd like to see the Camaro stick around and FOR SURE the Challenger as that's my next ride. Competition is good for the market and great for us enthusiasts.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Ford always advertised the HP on the 1987+ foxbodies as 225 HP. Of course, that was at the shaft...

The guy in the video got over 200 at the wheel 27 years later. So over the claimed 225 you supposedly got when new. So they lied as they were prone to do in those days. There was a billboard I saw that advertised the 225. However what got me to buy was the advertising that claimed: Go 148mph for 14,999!
Ari

That worked!

Edit: I’ll also add the the 1987 5.0 was faster than the outgoing Vette and the Ferrari 308. It was one of the fastest cars on the road period, and anyone could buy it. A legend!

Nowadays you brag about the Mustang’s horsepower but all sorts of cars are faster. Oh look, a Tesla Model 3 rolled up beside me so I’d better look at my cellphone. That didn’t happen back then. We had the big stick and everyone knew it. You got respect in that car from everyone!

BS horsepower numbers mean nothing on the street...

Last edited:

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Sorry to see someone else went through this mess. Hopefully Ford RAV was decent and helpful enough. My buyback took just over 2 months from the moment I told them I wanted a buyback.

On the bright side, taking my SS 1LE to VIR next weekend. Ill be running in the HPDE1 class so if you see an old guy in a gray 1LE stop by and say hello

JD
Great, any problems with the Chevy?

Sponsored

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
The guy in the video got over 200 at the wheel 27 years later. So over the claimed 225 you supposedly got when new. So they lied as they were prone to do in those days. There was a billboard I saw that advertised the 225. However what got me to buy was the advertising that claimed: Go 148mph for 14,999!
Ari

That worked!

Edit: I’ll also add the the 1987 5.0 was faster than the outgoing Vette and the Ferrari 308. It was one of the fastest cars on the road period, and anyone could buy it. A legend!

Nowadays you brag about the Mustang’s horsepower but all sorts of cars are faster. Oh look, a Tesla Model 3 rolled up beside me so I’d better look at my cellphone. That didn’t happen back then. We had the big stick and everyone knew it. You got respect in that car from everyone!

BS horsepower numbers mean nothing on the street...
Loved my 1987 LX 5.0 for $10K.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Great, any problems with the Chevy?
So far, so good! Took her to VIR last weekend and had a blast, no issues at all other than a cut tire at 120mph! After limping back to the paddock pressure in the right rear tire was down to 15, but at least it did not let go all at once.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You show your age. In the late eighties the Mustang was one of the fastest and most powerful cars on the road. The comparison is very relevant. Especially given better oils and metallurgy today.

How much horsepower will a 2018 GT make in 27 years without engine work: 0 horsepower because it won’t run!
Come on be realistic. People are selling their cars over a ticking noise. These aren't failing because of that noise, people are just being overly sensitive (IMO) and being lead down that path because of some mouths on youtube. The basic design of the 5.0 hasn't really changed much since 2010 and there are hundreds of thousands of them on the road with millions of miles racked up yet no major issues other than some people saying they tick.

And be realistic because the 302 in that car wasn't some sort of technological advancement either. It was a 302 with an archaic fuel injection setup bolted on a block that WILL break in half at the same power level some new 5.0s make nearly stock.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Come on be realistic. People are selling their cars over a ticking noise. These aren't failing because of that noise, people are just being overly sensitive (IMO) and being lead down that path because of some mouths on youtube. The basic design of the 5.0 hasn't really changed much since 2010 and there are hundreds of thousands of them on the road with millions of miles racked up yet no major issues other than some people saying they tick.

And be realistic because the 302 in that car wasn't some sort of technological advancement either. It was a 302 with an archaic fuel injection setup bolted on a block that WILL break in half at the same power level some new 5.0s make nearly stock.

The horsepower quotes were a complete lie. They were always around 290 to 300. The car was faster than you think and faster than Ford said. They deliberately made an “illegal” free flowing exhaust and were forced to recall them and replace with a more restrictive exhaust years later. I waited till my cats were shot and then replaced them. Tires were narrower and the technology was worse so putting the old engine in a 2018 Mustang would surely give you faster times. Less gears and on and on.

When the Mustang came out in 1987 it was faster than the out going Corvette and some Ferrari’s that seem to be padding the performance figures today as I remember and probably still have those old R&T and Car and Driver mags. Only a super car could have beaten it when that new fox body arrived.

You can’t say the same about the new cars. They are lost in a sea of fast and faster cars. A Tesla Model 3 is as fast as a GT. Tesla quotes are always slower than reality. And I was there back then and I’m assuming you were not, so - so much for your insights. You ruled the road in a Mustang back then. Not now. And the younger drivers drive like girls these days. So there!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The horsepower quotes were a complete lie. They were always around 290 to 300. The car was faster than you think and faster than Ford said. They deliberately made an “illegal” free flowing exhaust and were forced to recall them and replace with a more restrictive exhaust years later. I waited till my cats were shot and then replaced them. Tires were narrower and the technology was worse so putting the old engine in a 2018 Mustang would surely give you faster times. Less gears and on and on.

When the Mustang came out in 1987 it was faster than the out going Corvette and some Ferrari’s that seem to be padding the performance figures today as I remember and probably still have those old R&T and Car and Driver mags. Only a super car could have beaten it when that new fox body arrived.

You can’t say the same about the new cars. They are lost in a sea of fast and faster cars. A Tesla Model 3 is as fast as a GT. Tesla quotes are always slower than reality. And I was there back then and I’m assuming you were not, so - so much for your insights. You ruled the road in a Mustang back then. Not now. And the younger drivers drive like girls these days. So there!
I was never impressed by fox bodies. My 91 trans am even with just a catback lost to only one and it had a pretty big cam and full exhaust on big and littles. My 2004 5 cylinder Colorado beat a full exhaust fox from a roll as well. They were quick but nothing to write home about, especially by today's standards. I mean they were still pretty much a mid 14 second car in stock trim with the occasional "stock" ringer pulling off a very high 13. With some basic mods they woke up pretty well but modded cars aren't arguable since everything goes out the window at that point.

Also, the mustang didn't come out in 1987. It got a mild styling upgrade and a small power bump thanks to a new ecu setup (plus they lost T-tops shortly thereafter :( ) and nothing about the corvette was outgoing by 1987. The c4 lasted until 91 as a traditional SBC (L98) and then got the Lt1 in 92. If a stock fox couldn't beat the L98 in my heavier worse geared trans am, it for sure wasn't beating the same engine in a lighter car with better trans and gearing options.

The mustang is still a value especially if you don't load it up completely as a premium with a whole bunch of stuff you don't need or won't use. I was more so talking about how you have been chiming in like the ticking noises and such are a death nail in the coffin of this engine. There have been some failures because of other issues yes, but not nearly as many as the old 302 had especially at the same power level. So I am not sure why its such a big deal that these engines make weird noises, especially enough for lots of people to initiate buybacks over it..

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I was never impressed by fox bodies. My 91 trans am even with just a catback lost to only one and it had a pretty big cam and full exhaust on big and littles. My 2004 5 cylinder Colorado beat a full exhaust fox from a roll as well. They were quick but nothing to write home about, especially by today's standards. I mean they were still pretty much a mid 14 second car in stock trim with the occasional "stock" ringer pulling off a very high 13. With some basic mods they woke up pretty well but modded cars aren't arguable since everything goes out the window at that point.

Also, the mustang didn't come out in 1987. It got a mild styling upgrade and a small power bump thanks to a new ecu setup (plus they lost T-tops shortly thereafter :( ) and nothing about the corvette was outgoing by 1987. The c4 lasted until 91 as a traditional SBC (L98) and then got the Lt1 in 92. If a stock fox couldn't beat the L98 in my heavier worse geared trans am, it for sure wasn't beating the same engine in a lighter car with better trans and gearing options.

The mustang is still a value especially if you don't load it up completely as a premium with a whole bunch of stuff you don't need or won't use. I was more so talking about how you have been chiming in like the ticking noises and such are a death nail in the coffin of this engine. There have been some failures because of other issues yes, but not nearly as many as the old 302 had especially at the same power level. So I am not sure why its such a big deal that these engines make weird noises, especially enough for lots of people to initiate buybacks over it..

Like I said many times, my second 5.0 lasted me 18 years and 375,000klms. Drove it every day through 18 years of salt crusted winters and didn’t rust out. The premium interior literally wore like iron and still looked good 18 years later. The engine was never opened up and as a GM guy you should know I never replaced or cleaned the injectors. I know you guys did and they always clogged up again resulting in lost performance. Our injectors had concave tips and that was the trick. A superior car and the 2018 Mustang has a ways to go to beat that car’s history of performance and reliability.

Rant over...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I was very impressed with fox bodies in the early 80s. I remember street racing on front street in philly. And 10 grand lx foxes would stomp 30 grand Corvettes asses!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Agree. The recipe was always notchback LX, tires, 3.73, headers and advance the timing to 14*.

Low 13s. Amazing, even still.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Like I said many times, my second 5.0 lasted me 18 years and 375,000klms. Drove it every day through 18 years of salt crusted winters and didn’t rust out. The premium interior literally wore like iron and still looked good 18 years later. The engine was never opened up and as a GM guy you should know I never replaced or cleaned the injectors. I know you guys did and they always clogged up again resulting in lost performance. Our injectors had concave tips and that was the trick. A superior car and the 2018 Mustang has a ways to go to beat that car’s history of performance and reliability.

Rant over...

You know there have only been like 3-5 actual 2018+ engine failures, right? Engine ticking is not engine failure and as a mechanical engineer myself, I do not find it to be a concern, especially since the noise goes away when the car is warm. To say the Fox bodies are superior in terms of engineering is completely absurd. ANY Mustang from 2005+ is in another world in terms of engineering R&D and quality compared to a Fox body.

And yes, a new Mustang GT is still one of the fastest cars on the road. 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 mile in less than 12 sec bone stock. A Tesla Model 3 isn't touching that lol.
Sponsored